Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

October 15th, 2014

Wolf Blitzer's emotional roots journey

Wolf Blitzer learns more about his family's journey as he travels to Israel, Poland, and Buffalo, New York. See more ROOTS pieces here.

Post by:
Filed under: ROOTS • Wolf Blitzer
  1. yossiturk

Wolf, i watched your video with my eyes glued to the screen! for some years now i am working on my own family tree.. and than lo and behold! your past is so similar to mine! (just 1 generation younger.. :-))
    My grandmother Miriam Silbiger was born in Osweicim. Her maternal grandparents owned the famous Schmeidler bakery in the central plaza, her father Judah Silbiger was the cantor in the great synagogue on jewish street, and lived just 2 houses down. He was also involved in the chevra mishnayos synagogue, today a museam. I discovered Silbiger relatives in the local cementery, (never been there, but i was sent photos), including an infant brother of my grandma who passed away young. My grandmother miraculously escaped to russia, imprisoned, sent to siberia, worked in a slave labor camp in a munitions factory, married a fellow survivor Chanoch Wolf (surname), a descendant of the first rabbi of the city of Osweicim, my mom, born in Uzbekistan, lived with her parents in a DP camp in germany, until they made it to Montreal, Canada.
    i am a chabad rabbi for 25 years now in Cordoba Argentina, and a fan of yours!🙂
    if you plan on traveling again to Auschwitz, i would love to go with you, to investigate our past, walk the walk, talk the talk and build the future!

October 27, 2014 at 7:57 pm |
  2. ledotor

Thanks for sharing your journey Wolf. I will never ever forget the experience of driving past Dachau some 30 years ago; the evil was palpable. We must never forget. Congratulations on finding out more of who you are.

October 21, 2014 at 10:45 pm |
  3. christinesmith77

I wanted to let you know that I read a book recently about a survivor story similar to your parents....It's called Eva's Story (by Eva Schloss). She is the step sister of Ann Frank (her father remarried Eva's mother after they all survived. They also were saved by Russian troops in Auschwitz. I thought you might be interested. I will definitely be watching the show tonight.

October 21, 2014 at 4:18 pm |
  4. silmedia2

Wolf, as promised this was indeed powerful. A beautifully crafted piece; very moving and very enlightening. Great work, as always. - David Silverberg, Silmedia2@gmail.com.

October 17, 2014 at 2:13 pm |
  5. paja7288

Wow. Nice to see a fellow Ken West grad coming home to visit and recall great times in Kenmore!

October 16, 2014 at 3:20 pm |
  6. rebeccapb

140 characters for a tweet is just not enough to express how deeply touched I was yesterday as I watched your experience tracing your roots. I shed tears when you were going through the concentration camp and on to the cemetery. I'm a history geek (and a political junkie so I try not to miss The Situation Room) and I've gone back several times in my life to study more about the time in history you were having to walk through for your report. The Holocaust was the most evil time in history and it took a huge amount of courage for you to take the trip to Poland and go through that whole journey – and, just to think about the strength and courage your parents had as they made their way beyond that time and on to the time your family came to America. Then, my heart filled with joy as you took us to Buffalo and through the early years and on through the time you and your wife were married and had your children. The picture of you with your mother is priceless – she is a beautiful woman! You have covered the world and brought us so many important stories, but the most important one was the story of your journey back in time tracing your roots. Thank you, Wolf!

October 16, 2014 at 3:17 pm |