Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-6:30pm ET on CNN.

March 4th, 2014

Fiery exchange over cause of crisis in Ukraine

Wolf Blitzer talks to CNN's Christiane Amanpour and New York University's Stephen Cohen, a Russian expert, about the rising rhetoric around the crisis in Ukraine and who is responsible for starting the conflict - an aggressive Russia or a nationalist Ukraine.

Post by:
Filed under: Interviews • Russia • Ukraine
  1. hectop2014

Stephen Cohen is a Russian apologist of the worst kind. i would suspect he gets paid in some way by Russia. ukriane is an indepoendent country that overthrew a kleptocratic governemnt that not only was stealing from the people on a grand scale and driving the country into bankruptcy, but we know know that Yanukovych was nothing more than a Russin agent whose role was exactly to drive Ukraine to it's knees and deliver it to Putin. Stephen Cohen's main assertion, and he repeast this everywhere, is that the West is somehow to blame for Russia feeling uncomfortable in the world, and that Russia has a right to its sphere of influence. This is completelly without any basis in any fact or law. He further supports Putin's asertion tha the has the right to protect 'Russian speakrrs" anywhere they are in the world. Is Putin going to defend Russian speakers rights in Briughton Beach? Does this give the US the right to "protect" the rights of it's citizens living in Canada? Ptuin turns the world order on its head and his only politics is that if might makes right, tha ta country can do whatever it is capable of doing. International agreements and institutions mean nothing. Putin is a very, very dangerous man. Rusia is veering deeper and deper into a xenophobix fascist state. I see less and less difference between Russia and North Korea. And I do not know what Stephen Cohen's agenda is, but his disingenuous support for Putin is so one-sided, and so intellectually dishonest, that I can only asume that he is being paid by Russia to be a media troll on a large scale.

May 8, 2014 at 8:56 am |
  2. vandros3

I want to thank Mr. Wolf Blitzer for Mr. Cohen invitation, for the first time in twenty years we 've heard the truth from news channel. By the way, that's why we don't watch FOX any longer ( like 10-12 years).
    Great job, Mr. Blitzer! Kudos!

March 4, 2014 at 3:56 pm |
    • hectop2014

If you think that Stephen Cohen speaks the truth, maybe you shoulkd consider moving to Russia to see what it is like. Stephen Cohen pretends to be objective and hides behind the title of "professor". A high school student of history can debate Stephen Cohen and win. Christiane Amanpour is a terrific joiurnalist with exceptional credentials that I respect greatly. her commnets were 100% correct

May 8, 2014 at 9:00 am |
      • vandros3

I've been there and have no desire to visit it again.
        But doesn't men that we don't understand where you are lying about Ukraine's chaos.
        Russia has its own problems, but we also following closely on that chaos and really know the truth.
        So, your efforts are worthless for intelligent minds.

May 8, 2014 at 6:33 pm |
  3. vandros3

Truth is in Professor Cohen words. Christiane Amanpour is a liar, big time.

March 4, 2014 at 3:51 pm |
    • hectop2014

I wonder if vandros3 is one of the hundreds of trolls that Putin has unleashed onto the internet. If you had any understanding of the situation in Ukraine, you woudl understand that Stephen Cohen is either dillusional, or is being paid to say what he says. but then again, so are you, aren't you?

May 8, 2014 at 9:06 am |
      • vandros3

You've got to be out of your damn mind. I am American, get it?!
        I couldn't care less about Putin. But I do care about truth.
        You are such a lier.

May 8, 2014 at 6:37 pm |
  4. mediasloppy

Nice hearing each side. Where the truth is I wish I knew. I do know the Ukrainian people have suffered greatly in History.

March 4, 2014 at 1:09 pm |
    • hectop2014

The truth is not difficult to find if you look. Not a word of truth comes fro mPutin's or Lavrov's mout, and the US and EU are strating to see that now. Stephen Cohen bizarre and unconditional support of Putin is difficult to square. His notion that smehow the West is to blame for he crisis in Ukraine defies any logic or reason. The protests in Kyiv were very much an hnest grassroots revolt against an oppresive and therefore illegitimate kelptocracy. The simple truth is that a democratic and succesful stae of Ukraine, next to Russia's borders, is a threat to Putn's totalitarianism. Its scares him. Nothing more, nothing les. It is that si,mple. And he is upset that his man, Yanukovych, failed to bring him the prize.

May 8, 2014 at 9:03 am |
      • vandros3

Nice try to promote the "truth" from Ukraine. It's not going to fly, pal. I can understand you hate Russians, but it doesn't give to right to lie about situation in Ukraine. And, by the way, learn some English. Hard to understand your script. With our administration involvement in your country you might need it more and more.

May 8, 2014 at 6:28 pm |
      • hectop2014

Actually, you may be surprised that I don't hate Russians even though you seem to hate Ukrainians. I hate totalitarianism, I hate fascism, I hate blind faith. All of that applies to how citizens are viewing Putin and his view of the future of Russia. You may not see it yet, but you will soon enough. Putin is leading you to ruin, I mean complete and utter ruin. But he won't care, because he will walk away with his billions, the billions he stole over the last few years from the Russian people and from you. And you are too blind to see it. But it does not matter that much to me because I live in the West, and I will not have to live with the complete destruction that Putin will bring to the proud Russian state. And that is too bad, because the Russian people do not deserve it. The Russian state does not deserve it.

Oh, and you would like me to learn some English? Do you find my diction or my nuances too complex or unnatural? Does it appear that I have a hard time getting my arguments across or expressing my point of view? Am I not speaking the Queen's English? Pray tell, whatever do you mean? You are finding it hard to understand my script. Perhaps you are simply finding it hard to understand my concepts and ideas? You Neanderthal fool. Learn some English??? You have no clue, do you? Learn some English, really. You should learn some civility!

From: The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer [mailto:comment-reply@wordpress.com] Sent: May-08-14 6:29 PM To: hectop@videotron.ca Subject: [New comment] Fiery exchange over cause of crisis in Ukraine

vandros3 commented: "Nice try to promote the "truth" from Ukraine. It's not going to fly, pal. I can understand you hate Russians, but it doesn't give to right to lie about situation in Ukraine. And, by the way, learn some English. Hard to understand your script. With our adm"

May 8, 2014 at 11:47 pm |
      • vandros3

Your perfect English now just gave you up, pal.
        Anyways, Putin is leading ME to nowhere, you missed the point: I told you – I am American ( and why would I need Queen's English in US?)
        Anyways, there's no pleasure to have a discussion with fake patriot. Chiao.

May 9, 2014 at 7:53 am |
      • hectop2014

I never claimed to be Ukrainian. However, I am of Ukrainian descent, speak the language, and visit the country often. By the way, does your mother know how you make a living?

From: The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer [mailto:comment-reply@wordpress.com] Sent: May-09-14 7:54 AM To: hectop@videotron.ca Subject: [New comment] Fiery exchange over cause of crisis in Ukraine

vandros3 commented: "Your perfect English now just gave you up, pal. I had a feeling that you are a fake "Ukrainian", kind of US Cyber Unit from Chicago. That's what it is. You are failed, buddy. No kudos! Anyways, Putin is leading ME to nowhere, you missed the point: I tol"

May 9, 2014 at 4:33 pm |