Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-6:30pm ET on CNN.

December 4th, 2013

Pres. Obama calls for raise in minimum wage

In two speeches Wednesday, Pres. Barack Obama addressed the growing inequality in the U.S., calling for new policies to lift up the poor - including raising the minimum wage. CNN's Jim Acosta reports.

For more on the president's speech, click on over to CNN.com.

Filed under: Jim Acosta • Minimum wage • President Obama
  1. ParticleMan

Raise or lower, that seems to be the only options discussed. There is another. No minimum wage.

I make 22k a year, have a B.S. in Psychology, and speak Spanish pursuing my M.S. CIS and M.B.A.
    I am a 3rd generation Finnish American.

In Scandinavian countries there is no minimum wage because they are highly-unionized. Be that as it may, I say we try something different.
    How about we pull manufacturing back to the U.S., unionize MORE, and get rid of the minimum wage.

January 6, 2014 at 1:51 pm |
  2. nclaw441

One question– Are entry level workers WORTH a $15/hour wage? That is, can they provide value to their employer at that level of pay?

December 10, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  3. Jim Thomas

Kids with no experience DO NOT deserve 15 bucks an hour to start.Most of them do not even know how to take out the trash.They need to be trained first,then show what they have for brains and work habits.Anybody who took off today to picket would NOT have a job the next day.Jim Thomas Phx.Az.

December 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
    • ArielD

I disagree with raising minimim wage which already exceeds past min wages from when I earned it. For instance, Min wage in 1986 was $3.35 per hour. The average house in '86 cost 92K with an interest rate of 10% for a mortgage and by comparison now is just under 2X that at $183,667 but with only 4% interest. The ave car in 86 cost $9,255 and $18,476. Ave wage then $17,322 per year vs. $34,581 now. So pretty much everything was 2X more except minimum wage is far more now at $.055 and people pay little interest!! By the same standards of comparison the min wage should be $6,70 or lower when you consider the 10% interest rate back then. Yet it is far higher at $7.25 and people are crying it should be more!!. What gives other than people of today refusing to go without things when they are young?? People who made min wage then – like myself HAD to live with roommates and share things. We DID NOT HAVE CABLE TV or the luxury of affording cable. We shared vehicle rides to places and many other similar things. . When I first got out of college, I didn't have a TV at the apartment and all my furniture came from garage sales except for kitchen and lamps. I worked so many hours I was hardly home and didn't miss not having a TV because when I got home I went to bed. When I was home, I listened to music or talked on the landline phone with friends. Even with that, I racked up credit car debt to pay for car repairs, furniture, professional interview clothes and other things and it took serveral years to pay off. My first couch cost $25 and I had it for over 5 years and had tons of student loans at 7.5% interest. I think the Millenials got totally spoiled by their parents their entire lives and never went without and now expect far too much to be handed to them. For instance, I'm now in my 40's and have had few travel vacations in my life. Most of these kids have already been to a foreign country or several. They are not capable of going without and have no real concept of what going without REALLY means but they need to learn it. The idea of buying something used is out of the question for them and so they get new furniture they have to pay for in 5 years and then can't and cry foul – they don't makek enough!!. NO – they dont' know how to live on a budget.!!!. They don't realize that when you are in your 20's you just can't afford a new car, fancy cell phones, fancy TV, internet services and expect to pay the bills. My income was recently cut and I have yet to have a smart phone because I can't afford it. These kids at min wage all have smart phones they can't afford!! These are luxuries and if you make the mistake of buying them, you end up with too much debt for a very long time. Let's face it, min wage means you can't live without a roommate, you need to live on a very limited budget, go without luxuries like smart phones, and it takes a very long time to pay off the smallest amount of debt. As such, purchase decisions have to be carefully considered. The problem with people today is that they overspend and live to far beyond their means... just like our government does. Their friends all get expensivce smart phones, monster TVs and new cars and then they cry foul. Problem is, the Obama spend theory doesn't work. That is, the idea that you have to spend more to get more... will cause most to go bankrupt – the same direction the US economy is headed. People need to stick to a budget and if they can do that, they do well as their incomes increase over time and they can afford to pay for their used cars etc. Budget, Budget, Budget and NO SMART PHONES on min wage!!

December 9, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
  4. Amazed

It won't come out of his pocket. Be nice if he had the same feeling for federal workers on a multi year pay freeze.

December 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  5. Reveille

As the leader of his party, I am certain the President can encourage Democratic Governors in New York, California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maryland, Colorado and Delaware to advance legislation in their states to pass a Living Wage that exceeds the federal minimum wage. I am certain Governor Cuomo in New York and Governor Brown in California will demonstrate their leadership by taking this on for their states and show the way.

December 4, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
  6. Phil, south jersey

It needs to be raised!! a person cannot survive on minimum wage after a couple of bills hit your check. No one should work 8 hours and be barely able to survive, that's called slavery.....when you work and can't provid for yourself. The only people who has gotten raises are those who could do without....the millionaires, billionaires have seen their pay increase hundred folds.........it's time for average Americans.

December 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • zelskid

We subsidize Fast Food companies with Food Stamps, Medicaid, and Insurance premiums compensating for unpaid hospitol visits

December 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  7. shemeka kizer

#crossfire I believe that the wage should be rasied you don't only have kids working there you have adults between the ages of 21-30 and some that are 35-40 year olds also and lets not forget the seniors that had to go back because their ssi or disability checks aren't enough please hear me out

December 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm |