Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

March 27th, 2012

Who should get transplants?

CNN's Brian Todd looks at Dick Cheney's heart transplant and speaks to a doctor and another patient who's waiting for one.

RELATED STORY: Dick Cheney recovering after heart transplant

Filed under: Brian Todd • Dick Cheney • Health • Heart
  1. Oliver El Paso, TX

He made a millions with Halliburton during the war with Iraq, to him a drop in the bucket and with government group insurance paid by American citizens. The tea party GOP supreme court judges want to destroy Obama care for the middle and poor class, of course they do not have to worrier about health care.

March 28, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
  2. Dan5404

I'm 72, and if I needed a heart, I think I would defer to a child or a young parent. They have lives to live, children to raise, and things to achieve that most of us in my age category have either achieved or had the oppotunity to achieve. I'd like to think that I would have the guts to make such a decision if one were offered.

March 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  3. Mike Cornett

Well God bless Dick Cheney for having a heart transplant. The research started back in 1982 when Barney Clark was the first recipent of an artificial heart. His wife summed it up quite well....".Because of the artificial heart, we were able to have a few more precious days together". He was a real pioneer who was willing to go thru the pain and uncertainty
    of the outcome. We have to thank him and thousands of researchers around the world that make a heart transplant almost commonplace.

March 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  4. geesam

Equal justice under the law would suggest that Dick Cheney sees himself above the rest on all matters. It would appear that our former VP disregarded the life of a common American.

March 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  5. Jim Thomas

Nobody is to old for a transplant but was he next in line for it.I doubt it but money and politics have their way,don't they.Jim Thomas Phx.Az.

March 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  6. Pauline Griller-Mitchell

Whilst I hope ex VP Dick Cheney makes a good and quick recovery I do wonder if someone with no health insurance and aged 71 would have been givne a new heart - Mr Cheney is in the 1% in this country - not the 99% - no doubt between having an extremely good health insurance coverage, which most people couldn't afford, and having plenty of money he was able to have the surgery - but what does drive the decision especially if someone doesn't have health insurance - do they just get left ont he stree tuntil they die - Ron Paul's comments at one of the early debates

March 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm |