Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

BLITZER'S BLOG: Santorum will be center stage at Wednesday's CNN debate
February 20th, 2012

BLITZER'S BLOG: Santorum will be center stage at Wednesday's CNN debate

By Wolf Blitzer, CNN

Mesa, Arizona (CNN) – It’s good to come back to the Phoenix area in advance of CNN’s Republican presidential debate at the Mesa Arts Center. The debate takes place Wednesday night. John King will moderate.

It’s amazing how quickly things have changed. Rick Santorum is now the front-runner. He will be center stage.

When I moderated the last debate on January 26 in Jacksonville, Florida, Newt Gingrich was seen as Mitt Romney’s main threat. Now it’s Santorum.

Winning those contests in Colorado, Missouri and Minnesota really did the job for Santorum.

Gingrich and his supporters still are hoping that wins on Super Tuesday, March 6, will inject his campaign with new momentum. Given the ups and downs of this GOP campaign season, that is still possible. There will be 10 contests that day.

But more immediately, the contests here in Arizona and Michigan on February 28 will be very important. If Santorum can’t pull off an upset win in Romney's home state of Michigan, that will spell major heartburn for the former Massachusetts governor.

Here’s what I will be looking for in Wednesday night’s debate:

How hard will Romney go after Santorum?

Will Santorum hit right back or try to take the high road?

Will they fight over the social issues, including abortion, birth control pills, prenatal testing and public school education?

Will Gingrich go after Santorum or Romney or both?

Where does Ron Paul fit into all of this strategy? He’s raising millions and has no intention of leaving the race.

As I said, it’s good to come back to Arizona to cover all of this.

CNN LIVE: Tune in Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET for the final presidential debate before Super Tuesday: The CNN Arizona Republican Debate. Only on CNN. Follow it on Twitter at #CNNDebate.

Follow Wolf Blitzer on Twitter:
@WolfBlitzerCNN

RELATED STORY: Arizona debate matters for GOP's final four

SEE ALSO: Poll: Santorum lead expands nationwide

Filed under: Situation Room
  1. Manana

Santorum appears to be ttrepy good on immigration and national defense. I have heard conflicting reports on his stance on the Second Amendment and abortion. What information do any of you guys have? Also how do you think he would be on the issue of judicial appointments?

April 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
  2. C Oliver

What I can not figure out is Santorum running for the Catholic Pope or for GOP candidate. His beloved Republican party
    will never support a catholic as their candidate, being a Pope may be a better job for him.

February 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  3. cigarman

Hey Wolf. If Santorum CAN`T pull off a upset in Michigan, why would that be heartburn for the Massachusettes Governor. I think that someone should proofread your articles before publishing.

February 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Joan

Jason, I may have some insight torormow, I am waiting for confirmation from his commo director for a short interview with Gingrich Tomorrow morning, he is opening an office in Orlando. The GOP and the DNC has trotted out the trick book to often, we have been content to be Charley Brown to their Lucy, but I think that something IS gonna get kicked this year and judging by the old school rats that are jumping ship, they also see the writing on the wall.

April 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
  4. jj

They are just not going to find someone who will beat Obama.

February 21, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
  5. rufus

Romney is a slick, big government Republican, little different from Obama. Newt and Santorum haven't learned a thing about our bankrupting escapades halfway around the world, started under Dubya and perpeutated by Obama. Only Ron Paul will bring about needed change (assuming the Republicans can gain control of the Senate). A vote for anyone but Paul is a wasted vote for more of the same.

February 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • Paul R.

Absolutely, 100% right. Romney = slick salesman = Obama. Santorum = religious, abortion, yadda yadda jingoism. Not a solution in their heads regarding what ails this country.

February 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • Sirjon

NBC/Marist 15 point Romney leadRasmussen 16 point Romney leadAsk America 19 point Romney leadOne may be an outlier, but three polls with a 15+ dafterenfiil is indicating that something big is brewing in Florida.

April 4, 2012 at 8:55 am |
    • Ria

Rick, as always your your glanoay on our current primary system was entertaining. I've heard that the GOP has been considering a regional primary, where they will presumably alternate. The talked picked up a bit during 2007. Haven't heard much since. Funny how they always bring it up after the fact. As for the Romney scenario, obviously nothing is in the bag but I would say it's his to lose at this point. Who knows South Carolina may prove to be very nice to Gingrich or Santorum.

April 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
  6. R. W. Rodgers

Wednesday night is FIGHT NIGHT! To rephrase a famous expression from Muhammad Ali, it’s time to “Float like a Catholic guy, sting like a WMD!” Man – I'm on FIRE! or I will be soon enough. :-/

February 21, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  7. Tom

I hope John King asks Ron Paul again (as he did in a previous debate) what should happen to a 30 year old with a fatal illness who doesn't have health insurance. And this time, after the hooting dies down, demand that he answer it!

February 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Docmartin

Liberal bait. Free insurance for everyone equals bankrupt USA.

February 22, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • Nikhil

I think you are looking at this all wrong Like in any suoaititn, we look at someone, be it a beautiful woman, or a promising politician We size them up, we like what we see, and then we get to know them In the cases you list above, we saw something we liked, and then, as we got to know the person, we found the flaws in some cases, flaws we couldn't live with in the relationship.For the same reason I didn't marry my first love , and moved on the TEA Party has moved on Is Herman Cain the one? Time will tell Personally, I think the TEA Party would be better off with Alan West (R- Florida) as a presidential candidate but he isn't running So we must find the right one for this go-round and the choices are limited.

October 10, 2012 at 2:57 am |
  8. riptin

Obama is going to win, I think we get the house. What is important is for one of those repubs on the court is to fall out of the canoe so we can get back to reality. (corporations are people "plealzzz"}

February 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Rinni

Only we can screw this up. That is sooooooo true, Robert! I'm just hopnig that Republicans don't do something stupid and squander this opportunity to spare our great country 4 more years of the Obama regime. Obama is totally beatable; Republicans have to remember that and not take whatever bait the Dems will use to make us undermine ourselves.reply from Robert: Thanks. It just came to me like a blinding realization of pure truth, when I read that thought for the day. It's funny where I found the letter it was in. I found it in the trash at work. The only part that caught my eye, was that thought. So I came home, did the post .but then didn't post it, till today. So thanks for the complement on it my friend.

April 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  9. iceload9

The GOP (Grand Old Petroleum) is playing their ace in the hole, 5 dollar a gallon gas. This should sink the economy enough for a republican win in the next election.

February 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • pgraham52

How could in your wildest dreams blame this on the GOP. Gas prices have more that doubled since Obama took office. He stopped the pipeline and has stopped the drilling in vast acreage here in the US.

February 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
      • Samlin

David McElroyJanuary 5, 2012 @ 10:41 amThat's a good point about Paul being pushed to run on a third-party (or ienepnndedt) ticket. It would be a terrible choice for Paul (for many reasons). I have to believe he knows that it would reassure Obama's re-election, so I agree that it's very unlikely to happen. The argument that will be made by some of his supporters is that punishing the GOP for not listening to him would force them to listen next time. It's an argument that's trotted out frequently in such situations, but it never has the effect that its proponents think it will, in my view. I'll be very surprised if Paul goes the third-party route.

April 6, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • me

YOUR boy is in charge......its your game now.

February 21, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • me

and this makes you happy?

February 21, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  10. Farmerjohn

Sadly, I'm watching the party I've belonged to and voted for since 1962 implode.
    Obama 2012

February 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  11. Sam Eddy

In my 40 plus years of voting I have voted mostly Democrat but I became an Independent in the Clinton years. I wanted Hillary as our President in 2008 but I voted for Obama anyway. With that said I feel Obama has made a mess of our country and we need a new President to get us back on track again. The divide in this country has become great since Obama took office and I'm not sure anyone is up to the task of re-uniting this country again. If Obama wins a second term we will see more spending and no attempt being made at balancing our Nations budget.

February 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Todd in DC

Would you rather that Obama didn't spend and let the recession turn into another depression?

February 21, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  12. sunpacific

Santorum is a hoot. This gay-bashing-sexist-bigot has now apparently decided that women shouldn't get pre-natal screenings: forget that this is for the health of the woman and the baby! If it goes against Ricky's Christian Sharia Law, it must be evil.

February 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Nadia

I agree with you, I am not hearing how his ideas will move the US forward. He should keep his personal practices to himself.

February 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
      • Dario

I think the room did hate him. They never even let Johnson into these debates. I know, I've been foowlling his campaign. He is usually excluded. The media hates him, just like they do Paul, but they can't exclude Paul.

October 12, 2012 at 12:24 am |
  13. Jaun In El Paso

This debate is going to be a joke! Can't wait to here the stupid questions asked! I'm betting it is all about social issues and gotta questions. CNN will stay clear of any topic that might do any harm to their beloved socialist Obama. Here's a question: "The 2 million jobs Obama forcasts for 2012 to keep the recovery build – How will you insure that these new employees all have free birth control?"

February 21, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Jean

Well said. That is so true. There is nothing good to look forward to in this debate. It is all about Obama!

February 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  14. MK54

Look for signs of brain damage in all four candidates. Dementia, anger issues, lack of consistency,magical thinking and irrational reasoning will take center stage once again.

February 21, 2012 at 11:21 am |
  15. JJNC

John King-The last debate you moderated you made Newt look like a great guy. Please dont do it for Santorum. Ask questions that require geniune answers. Social issues are not the real issues facing this country. Debt, liberties, economy. Ask real issue questions. And please give Ron Paul the same time to speak as you give the other knuckleheads, at least he answers the questions.

February 21, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • Jean

Well said, JJNC. Totally agree!

February 21, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  16. NoKidding

This circus has become so hilarious... Let's call in Trump and Palin! Might as well go all the way !!!

February 21, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  17. JD in Moraga, CA

The debaters should stand in a circle facing each other, like the circular firing squad that they are.

February 21, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  18. Guy Launiere

Wolf: please ask them :How many jobs did they created last week, last month? how many will they be create next week, next month?
    They are all experts on creating jobs, what are they waiting for, we need jobs NOW.

February 21, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • Dana

Don't hold your breath. That's a no-no question. All my life never heard that answer...

February 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • Docmartin

The only one who created jobs was Romney. presidents and congress should only create the envirinmnt for the private sector to create the jobs!

February 22, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  19. Pe ra

Ask them if they are against secular government unless it is Christian.

February 21, 2012 at 9:28 am |
  20. Ronald

Anyone that uses God and religion to sell his political ambitions is not what he claims to be. "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to Got what is Gods"! Keep religion out of politics! Using religion to gain political favor with people who are devote in faith is the lowest form of pandering. That is like saying your having a political rally for addicts and there will be free whatever their addicted to. What a slim!

February 21, 2012 at 9:16 am |
  21. Ronald

Just more of the same.....extremist egomaniacs saying nothing, lying, and in general once again showing us that the GOP/Tea Party has nothing to offer.

February 21, 2012 at 9:09 am |
  22. SwilliamP

The Republicans would have been tough with Mitch Daniels, Jeb Bush (MUCH smarter than his brother) or Christie (deplore his gay marriage veto though). The folks the GOP has got now are chewing each other up so badly, it's hard to see them recovering enough to beat Obama. Still think we need a third party!

February 21, 2012 at 8:50 am |
  23. majorwiblit

Will you ask him the hard questions Wolf??,,,and don't let them skirt around the issue??,,,Ricky has made some outrageous
    comments as of late,,and needs to be called out on them,,Woman,,birth control,,,abortion,,Will you???
    I doubtt it,,,you like all the others,,,will just let them slide,,,and bash Obama,,,,Thank-you Wolfy

February 21, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  24. Jim

I've voted Republican since I was first able to vote, almost 50 years. But this crop of ultra-right, ultra-conservative, ultra-religous, anti-abortion, anti-science candidates is going to force me to vote for someone who isn't "Republican".

February 21, 2012 at 8:27 am |
  25. Forever new

I would like to know the candidates views in the debate on the following as that would be beneficial in understanding their philosophy of governance :
    1) a)What is your theology or religious belief as applicable to your governance and decision making ?
    b) How do you plan to implement this theology in the governance of this country ?
    c) What changes you plan to the system or any changes to law based on faith or religion?
    d) How to plan to promote the religious harmony,diversity and inclusiveness in the society and avoid divisions based on religious beliefs ?
    2) How to your propose to maintain and strengthen an individual's choice of religious freedom ?
    Would one religious faith be encouraged either subtly or overtly to take precedence over the other ?
    3) When dealing with Iran how do plan to handle the situation? What is your threshold limit and policy to using force or going to war ?
    4) What role the government would play in the moral conduct of individuals or people and as applicable to families ?
    Are there any proposed changes you plan ?
    What are your views on the ideal American citizen as well as ideal American family ?
    5) Any views or mesures to keep the government free from corruption ?
    6) What is your global trade philosophy ? What can the pople expect on this front ?
    7) What are your specific plans or agendas to boost economic growth and job growth ? How do you propose to facilitate growth in the small business sector ?

It is better to get clarity now so as to avoid surprises later on.

February 21, 2012 at 8:13 am |
  26. ralph

Look for four clowns who are not going to be President.

February 21, 2012 at 7:37 am |
  27. Terry

Opening Question for All Candidates: Do each of you really believe the media is out to get you? If so, can each of you take five minutes and explain why so many Americans are out renting movies right now?

February 21, 2012 at 6:53 am |
    • Docmartin

Easy answer: that's why people watch Fox news- to get unbiased reporting.

February 22, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • Ali

To be honest, Doug, I think the roeasn many conservatives are cool towards Romney is because he has always been a moderate, and right now, conservatives aren't looking for a moderate. Tried that last election with McCain.

October 11, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  28. ourjungle

Our Nation is still crawling out of a devistating recession, and the GOP candidate choice has come down to a Leader that has very strong leanings to regulate our Bedrooms, or a Leader that has very strong leanings to regulate our Economy. One is holding a aspirin,and the is holding a calculator.

February 21, 2012 at 5:42 am |
  29. Neil

Anyone would be better then Pres Obama. A vote for Obama, is a vote to continue to give your hard earned money to someone who refuses to work. There are hundreds of thousands of jobs out there. Look in any newspaper. But the "Poor" don't want a job, they want a good paying job. Heck, we all want a good paying job, but those of us that have them, worked for them and started at the bottom. You know the bottom, the place where the low paying jobs are.

I own a business, I hired a 22 year old and $9.50 an hour. He quit after 3 weeks because he said he was worth more. This was 4 months ago. He's still sucking the tit of unemployment.

So vote for Obama if you want, but I'll vote for, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll vote for Biden, before I vote for Obama. I'd rather see a GOP white house, but the field is not a confidance builder.

February 21, 2012 at 5:22 am |
  30. spence

Santorum say's what he truely believes in. Unlike Romney and Newt. HOWEVER, the things he says is not fit for America, as we are not a country of Christian faith, we our a country of Freedom. The bible is not our law, it is not the law of the land, that is up to the individual to live that lifestyle whom he/she presides with.. Common sense is the law of the land, as that is what the founders wanted. I feel like Ron Paul is the only one that has true common sense. The people should be the ones to make and vote the laws, not the federal government, not even the president. If Joe wants to marry Bob, then let Joe marry Bob, if Vanessa want's to smoke weed in the comfort of her home, let her smoke weed. If the people of virginia don't want heroin legal, then vote on it to be illegal. If the people in Texas want Heroin legal for some stupid reason, then they vote on it and if the majority want it legal, then make it legal. Does this make sense?

February 21, 2012 at 2:58 am |
  31. The Pope

The race to the bottom. No Republican left intellgent.

February 21, 2012 at 2:28 am |
    • Reshma

Hmmm. I'm not a great fan of Gingrich (I like his intelligence, and his 'say what I think adttiute' – but not his past politics). However, I look at the present field and keep thinking he's the best of a poor set of choices. Otoh, I'll vote for ALMOST and GOP candidate over our 'present' President.

April 4, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  32. Ron

If America does not get Mitt Romney to fix our MESS. We will see a 2nd Great Depression.
    16 Years on Wall Street and the last 12 in the Real Estate Market have shown me that CHEATING, Get Rich Quick, Money for Nothing, CORUPTION are about to RUIN our Economy.
    Mitt Romney is right. He does not need the job....but we SURE do NEED him.
    It is up to you America. He will not run again.
    We have NO ONE else Like him in the Wings.

February 21, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • Dana

yes, I do hope you're right about this: he will not run again.

February 21, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  33. Mike Hignite

Strange coverage. Your main story is about a former congressman becoming a vet. Why?
    If you want to cover "vets", might I suggest you cover the vets who marched on Washington DC today for Ron Paul?

February 20, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
  34. dinak

I am hoping for intelligent questions dealing with the economy, illegal immigration, and our military. What I am not interested in is how the CNN liberal moderators will be trying to get the candidates to discuss religious issues. Come on, CNN, are you going to bring up Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers to Obama?

February 20, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
  35. team obama

Wow.. The grand ole party is history.......! President obama 45 pres. Of the united states.. Speaker peloski.. Retake gavel.. Senate leader harry reid.. Retains senate.. A clean sweep..

February 20, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
  36. Gary

Hey CNN what about the hundreds if not thousands of troops and vets that marched at the white house for Ron Paul?! Ron Paul is the choice of the troops wake up and vote for him!

February 20, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
  37. Kelly

I'm easy to please. Give Ron Paul as much time as you give all the others. People are clamoring for it.

February 20, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
  38. tc

this debate will be interesting. maybe now i can really see what santorum is all about.

February 20, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
  39. james

I expect a lot of DA Questions from the Host–

February 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  40. James Galla

Maybe you should make Ron Paul center staged rather than just ignoring him; or when it comes to questions, you give him the toughest compared to everyone else, and you let Rick Santorum (a guy who wants to infringe on my personal rights) and Mitt Romney (A guy I know nothing about because he likes to switch his mind to get into positions of power) avoid questions.

February 20, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  41. joe

Please note the "tongue in cheek" at the bottom. For further information look up the word "facetious."

February 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  42. Crowdifornia Girl

Given that there are millions of unemployed Americans, shouldn't we hire them for jobs instead of giving those jobs to foreign workers?

February 20, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  43. nolimits3333

Santorum is Opus Dei.

Just like the Supreme Court.

February 20, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
  44. Joan

How terrible to watch the once respected and competent Republican Party disintegrate and dissolve and devolve. (Oops sorry, they don't believe in evolution.) Once they were cooperative, moderate and tolerant. Today they are obstructionist my-way-or-the-highway, radical, grossly intolerant (Obama = Hitler?), and bordering on autocratic theocrats. They feel only they are the "real Americans" (Palin) and all others are "elite snobs" (Santorum). To prosper, democracy needs balance and cooperation and compromise. All three are in deficit mode in the US today. Thanks in large part to the radicalization of the Tea/Republican Party.

February 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  45. clarke

Can't wait to see who the poster boy for March will be. Come on folks, even the GOP is not happy with the selection. This is the worst I have ever seen in 60 years.

February 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • Galo

Thank you, San Juan County! Please let me know if you would like to be on Team Romney 2012 for the 2nd Congressional District. Just contact me at for ftherur information. Let's keep the momentum going! Thank you again!Mary Jane Aurdal-OlsonMitt Romney 20122nd Congressional District Chair

April 4, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • Reza

Romney and Huntsman would do well to takes their entire lmiafies with them to South Carolina. Southern Baptists need to see first hand what wholesome lmiafies Mormans create. (These two lmiafies are like all the Morman lmiafies I knew growing up–forget the rare aberrations of polygamy.)

April 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
  46. clarke

The more I have heard Rick, the less I care for him. I am looking for truth, leadership and solutions and I have not seen this in him at all. In fact he scares me. He says he is a Christian? I see much anger in him and believe he could be a real hot head.

February 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  47. Top_News

I just hope the questions asked during Wednesday's debate are about the issues facing this country – the economy, jobs, taxes, spending, the middle-east, oil prices and national security to mention a few. I really hope the questions asked are not a setup to have the candidates pit against each other as in previous debates and I hope CNN has the courtesy not to have it happen in this one. I don't care how the candidates feel about each other. I care about which candidate is best qualified to run for president.

February 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • spacial

Well said and I too am sick of the bickering. Social issues are one thing but not America's priority right now. I would like to hear each candidates detailed plan for bringing America back.

February 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
      • David

Jason, of the half that pay taxes, a much smaller pcaeentrge will actually vote again for anybody. The newness and the shine has worn off Obama, even if the Samuel Jackson`s ( I voted for him because he was black ) repeat that action there will be considerably less turnout , he simply has not given the inner city base the free cars,cash, etc. over and above what they already get. His radical base is publicly dissing him, his large donors are publicly saying not this time' I think he loses to anyone running. The bigger problem is, do the American people lose if Romney, Santorum, Paul, and in some respects, Gingrich win? Yup! If we don`t completely flush out Congress, it will be same old, same old.

April 4, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

"I care about which candidate is best qualified to run for president."

That's an easy one, Top. None of them is qualified.

February 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • Jim Thomas

So do I.It is time they quit acting like little kids and get their act together.The have wasted a lot of money and also our time which is very impotant listening to them whine.Get with it canidates ,give us something important,not like what is in office now.Jim Thomas Phx.Az.

February 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Ploomb

Unless all the candidates think exactly alike any questions on any topic will and should expose their differences.

February 21, 2012 at 5:44 am |
    • Ruth

I want to know what each candidate would do about the displacing of U.S. citizens in their jobs by work visas! work visas were not intended to DISPLACE U.S. citizens! Would the candidates eliminate work visas until the unemployment is down to 1%?

February 21, 2012 at 7:16 am |
    • Sam Eddy

I am also tired of CNN using the questions that do not apply to this election.............this election is about jobs, gas prices and our soaring debt. I want to know how each of these candidates will make it better.

February 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  48. DSA

Ask all of them this....If all of you consider yourselves God fearing Christians and do your best to live by the word of God. Why then do you constantly violate the Fourth (Thou shall not bear false witness (Lie)) Not only against the President but against each other as well.
    And don't allow them to "double speak" their way out of a meaningful answer.

February 20, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • clarke

Very good question. I so agree with you.

February 20, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
  49. Thatguy371

Think I have this figured out. The repubs have kind of a 'secret handshake'. They're secretly telling all their buddies to vote for this wacko, just to finally ruin this nation once and for all. They figure, if they can't own the nation, they'll destroy it.

February 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • bfpiercelk

Liberals and Conservatives are doing just fine in their battle to destroy this nation with hedge issues that are none of the Federal Governments business in the first place.

February 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  50. davetharave

If the Repubs really think this guy is electable then their journey to the dark side is complete.

February 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Sam Eddy

I'm with you.............go Obama 2012

February 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
  51. Vivian, a Catholic

I really don't understand why no one is paying attention to the obvious...Santorum lacks the understanding of basic English. He clearly admitted that he does not know the definition of "theology," a common word in the English language. Clearly, he needs to undergo an English proficiency test. I suspect that he will not pass. Furthermore, has anyone even seen his birth certificate??? I haven't seen it. How do I know that Santorum was even born in this country??? He lacks a command of the English language, and I haven't seen his birth certificate. Mr. Santorum has a lot of questions to answer in his quest to turn the this democracy into a theocracy...

–Tongue in cheek

February 20, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • Rags

Vivian The Catholic, we haven't seen your birth certificate either. Were you born in the US or in the Vatican?

February 20, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • Larry in Houston

Vivian – this guy is a Joke – I honestly think the reason that the republicans know they cannot win against obama – they've got nothing but a bunch of losers – surely they should have known that they should have tried to get somebody that has a little bit of Brains – he's an embarassment to us real catholics.

February 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
      • Indra

I am from South Africa, and I believe Ron Paul uloshd become president. The rest of the candidates are puppets of big businesses. Ron Paul is against the federal Reserve and thinks it uloshd be audited. I know he will be a president of good moral standards and with an open mind. Not like the puppets running against him.

April 7, 2012 at 12:45 am |
    • dinak

Did you ask Obama, a grown man and college graduate, why he couldn't, on multiple occasions, pronounce 'corps." properly? Did you ask Obama why he thinks he can mandate that private companies supply services and products free of charge? Did you ask the President if he understands what competition and free-market mean? Give me a break. Obama is the most economically illiterate presidents we have ever had – worse than Roosevelt and Carter.

February 20, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Pat

I just hope John Kings asks Newt about his misteresses and let Newt fire back, so the teabags will think what a great debater he is. I want Newt to be the GOP nominee.
      Or He could ask Rick about his wifes contraceptive usage or why he keeps creating children at the age of 52.
      Obama in a landslide.

February 21, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  52. Lindsey

Ron Paul is the magic combination of budget hawk and peace candidate! It will start resonating soon! Ron Paul 2012!

February 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

" ... it will start resonating soon! ..."

God, you Paul freaks never cease to amaze me. Ron Paul 2032!

February 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • TonyKo

Sorry, but no, it won't. Deregulating corporate America and Wall Street is what got us into this mess.

February 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
      • Tony Constance

That is incorrect. Not enforcing existing regulations and laws got you into the mess you're in. You can have all the regulations in the world, if they are only used to create monopolies and cartels or to allow corporate lobbyists to game the system, you are just creating bureaucracy. You need a fair systems that allows the market to work as it should: if you commit fraud, you go to jail. If you gamble with other people's money and fail, you go bankrupt and perhaps go to jail. That is what RP proposes, not complete deregulation.

February 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  53. Davidd

There are countless millions of self-righteous, Bible thumping Americans out there. Santorum has them all in a frenzy right now. This is scary, people, real scary.

February 20, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • clarke

February 20, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • Keith in SoJax

Yea, but thats about all that are listening. Most of us don't want Rick as POTUS. His recent argument that Religious Institutions have the right to choose who gets contraception isn't going to play well in the general election. I'm pulling for him so we can have this social war once and for all. Even if he wins, it won't be long until the nation has had enough and it'll be difficult for anyone with those views to win again.

February 20, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
    • Independent from NH

It WOULD be ironic if Santorum, the ever thumping self-described Christian, brought about end times. Quite the irony if after all of this we find out that Santorum is actually the anti-Christ. That would be the devil's best trick of all time.

February 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  54. J

I hope Santorum wears ashes on his head on this Wednesday

February 20, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
  55. Don

I love the debates, the more I watch the more I realize how lucky we are to have Obama as pres..

February 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • JB

You mean we're so lucky to have someone as President that cares about Americans so much he has approved legislation to detain them without trial and sign assassination orders against them with no oversight? Yeah, very lucky.

February 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
      • Independent from NH

Do you think Bush did not do this? Or Clinton? Or Bush's dad? Or Reagan during the Cold War? Or Carter, Ford, Nixon, LBJ, etc. etc.?? Give us a break. Gitmo was Bush's brainchild in case you needed to be reminded.

February 20, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Rags

Except for the fact that Obama is anti-gun, he's been pretty good.

February 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm |

Amen, Don.

February 20, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • me

can't wait for mare free stuff huh?

February 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • Larry in Houston

Don – You're right – IF we elect another republican – they will set this country back 25 years – at least . I used to live in the north east – but after they shut the factory down in 2003 – I moved down here, where there is lots of Jobs – and good Jobs – but find it difficult at times to talk about politics, because you never know who's a hard core republican, or a Democrat, or not.

February 20, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • Docmartin

Ugh.

February 21, 2012 at 9:26 am |
  56. midwesterner

i'm an 'independent' female voter and rick santorum may very well get my vote – so far he's the only one that seems trustworthy and stands up for what he believes in – really, look at how he responds to his wife and family! i don't think it's an act – it's who he is, his values! our women's group is talking very seriously about him this wk.

February 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

I hope you're not on birth control or sexually active outside of marriage. Otherwise, Ricky will lock you up and throw away the key.

February 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • TonyKo

You need to look more closely at Rick's background . . .

February 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • Independent from NH

Your women's group should discuss why it is you are willing to be led like lemmings back to the Stone Age of women's rights by voting for Santorum. Do you want to give up your rights and those of fellow women just because he seems "sincere?" He's a politician. EVERY politician is insincere to a lesser or greater degree. Why would you pick the less insincere of two when clearly the other, though not as sincere, has your best interests in mind???

February 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • George

Are you serious ? You are a woman and would vote for this guy? You like being barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen while the men are smoking their cigars and talking about the important issues of the day? Kind of like it was in 1850 or so?

February 20, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • Andrew

I can't believe any women would vote for Santorum. This man wants to take women's rights back to 1950. His wife co-wrote his book – and he didn't even include her name in the credits. He thinks women shouldn't serve in the military. He wants to take away their freedom to get birth control and abortions.
      In short, if you're a woman and you vote for this maniac – you deserve what you get.

February 21, 2012 at 9:19 am |
    • JJNC

Stands up for what he believes in? Is trustworthy? And what does he believe in? He's a hypocrit, just like Newt and Romney. Social issues are not going to win the WH. All the social problems in this country should be handled at the state level, ie. abortion, gay marriage. Those problems are not the main concern for this country. We are in debt $16 trillion, what kind of lip service has Santorum gave to this topic? We spend more than the next 15 countries combined in overseas military shananigans. We give foreign aid to dictators and countries that dont like us. How has slick rick addressed this? Unfortunately, the only candidate that wants to talk about REAL issues is Ron Paul. Keep the family stuff where it belongs, in the family.

February 21, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Nick

You mean the guy who hates women? The guy who expects them to be at home and pregnant? The guy who would make sure they don't get the same jobs as a man?

Yeah he has said all that...

The ONLY one worth a damn AND with the most delegates is Ron Paul.

February 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  57. Paul

Vote for Mitt Romney is a vote in the right direction!

February 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • Rags

Yes, please do. We need Obama in for another 4 years.

February 20, 2012 at 8:17 pm |

The right direction to ruin. Bush III

February 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
      • Paul

Actually jeb (bush III) is the road to ruins.

February 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • Terry

Did you see how fast Romney dumped Sheriff Paul Babeu after his abuse of power play?

February 21, 2012 at 7:05 am |
    • Pe ra

Yes, it will guarantee Obama's reelection.

February 21, 2012 at 9:14 am |
  58. Doug Ericson

Interesting news that Pay Pal founder Thiel is donating big bucks to the Ron Paul Super Pacs. He must be thinking long term, as in 3rd party run for Paul, as he can't possibly be thinking Paul has a chance for the Republican Nomination.

February 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • liedetector

Ron Paul does not accept money from PACs or SuperPACs, and has none. ALL of the donations to his campaign go directly to his campaign.

February 20, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
      • David McFarland

SuperPac's cannot donate money to a campaign legally. They must work "independently" from a campaign.

February 21, 2012 at 7:33 am |
      • Nick

Ron Paul has at least 2 Super Pacs bud...Revolution PAC and Endorse Liberty Super PAC

February 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Larry in Houston

3rd party is what it might be – – especially at the end – going into the convention – somethings got to give – especially when nobody actually has the delegates going into Tampa – or wherever it will be.

February 20, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  59. onefussyone

What has happened to separation of church and state? The Republican Party and it's constituency need to determine whether their candidate is running for the Presidency or the Papacy. We have issues to deal with in this country far more important than those being highlighted by the candidates or the media. The constitution has already defined all we need to know about religion and issues peripheral to it.

February 20, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Stuball

It's not the Republican Party... it's only Santorum and Gingrich talking religion.

February 21, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • Docmartin

You are correct sir! But the is STILL nothing in the constitution about "separation of church and state".

February 21, 2012 at 9:28 am |
      • Tellmenolies

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

February 21, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  60. rob

PFFFT!
    I've never spoken to ONE SINGLE IDIOT who is voting for santorum.
    MOST people say RON PAUL or Mitt Romney.
    TRUTH.
    And you're an idiot if you vote for anyone other than Ron Paul. MORE TRUTH.

February 20, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • Rags

Only idiots call others 'idiot'.

February 20, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

Thanks, Rob. I guess I'm happy with to be an "idiot" and vote for the guy who took out bin Laden and al-Awlaki, who saved the US auto industry and prevented the Second Great Depression, who restored America's standing in the world and science in US policy, who equalized pay for women and brought equality in the military to the LGBT community, who regulated the thieves on Wall Street, and who is bringing health insurance to 30+ million uninsured Americans.

February 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm |

Get Real
      Your comment is awaiting moderation.
      That's because not one single idiot is voting for Santorum, but a multitude of intelligent people are.

February 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm |

February 20, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Erik

SeiiJanuary 5, 2012 @ 3:22 pmAnother good reason not to get nvoilved in caucuses and conventions you can be selected for a certain candidate, only to have that candidate drop out by the time you need to cast a vote.I was thinking about it the other day, and I wonder what potential Ron Paul delegates are told if anything about this possibility. Talk about all or nothing!-Seii

April 7, 2012 at 12:29 am |
  61. Ken

If you vote for santorum, you are cretified below-average intelligence. Seriously, I can't believe anyone is dumb enough to vote for this guy. Becasue hes conservative? Who cares? The guy has no idea what he's doing. Absolutely nothing would be better under Santorum, NOTHING!

Until peple vote for a business leader instead of a career politician, nothing will ever change in Washington. Career politicians don't know what to do different, they dont have the skillset. Thats why they are in politice, they couldn't hack it in the private sector. Say what you want about Romney, but it takes the best of the absolute best to do what hes done. He'll bring efficiency to this bloated pig of a government. Santorum is a complete waste of time and space.

February 20, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • Get Real

Who is "cretified" below average intelligence?
      "Becasue hes" what?

I think we would be much better off with Santorum as president and if you are an example of a government educated citizen you would be better off enrolling in his homeschool.

February 20, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • Ron in CA

Finally, someone who gets it. Push out the washington crew and bring on Mitt Romney, he'll be the one to turn us around and make this country great again. Hear hear Ken.

February 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • karney Eldridge

My sentiments. This foolishness on social issues when the country is tanking. Just like the Olympics. Reminder, he did what he had and used the Govt. money because of terrorist concerns. He cut out the waste and perks these officials were used to.. He took no salary for that job or as governor of Ma. If they veer off onto social issues at this debate, I will turn it off.

February 21, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  62. Sam

This may be headed to the convention for a floor fight. The last time that happened was in 1968 when Barry Goldwater, the father of the modern conservative movement, beat Rockefeller, the northeast establishment candidate to win the nomination.
    In that floor fight, the highly active conservative grass-roots beat the establishment machinery. Is history moving in the direction of repeating itself? Will we see the Tea Party grassroots foist a candidate and beat Mitt, the Northeastern, Wall Street favorite, establishment candidate. Will we see Palin emerging as the Tea Party's candidate of choice, and like Goldwater, wresting the nomination from the establishment candidate. Notice Palin wants to prolong the process, she has not endorsed anyone!

February 20, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

Goldwater lost to Johnson in 1964, not 1968.

February 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • Mike C

I believe that was 1964 Sam.

February 20, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • Nate

Sam it was the 1964 Republican convention that nominated Barry Goldwater over Rockefeller, 1968 was when Richard Nixon won the nomination. But honestly I don't really find Rick Santorum to be very grassroots/Tea party-esque candidate. As a fiscal conservative his voting record in the Senate is atrocious! He is infact part of reason why the Tea party was invented in the first place!

February 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  63. Pk duster

I believe obama cares for people rick just called obama hilter i am jewish i believe if rick is president i believe rick will do to the americams what hilter did to the jews

February 20, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  64. terrance

More Ron Paul please

February 20, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

No thanks. Three strikes and you're out.

February 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  65. mirrorlogic

Any body but Willard Mitt...he is trying to move us to an Oligarchy! Say no to R-money.

His millions upon millions should not buy POWER! There is something robotic in the way he approaches people, almost as if he using a Bain Capital metric to decide if you should survive or go.

He is out of touch! A Donald Trump endorsement, really???

February 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Ron in CA

Romney 2012 for sure. Comon, do any of us really know our president personally? I'm not headed to church with him or hangin at the mall for hell's sake. I'm sick of people saying Romney is robotic and uncaring. The others are big washington, and Paul (though good) just can't win, and Santorum wants to be friggin pope. Newt is a lost cause and Obama is just done and needs to go spend his own money and fade away into the bad economy.

Romney will take his business savey and make us great again. Vote Romney and be proud of your country again.

February 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
      • Jean

I'm with Ron in CA. Go Mitt

February 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  66. tim

They can't be dim enough to go stand up there and make fools of themselves AGAIN! Every time they do -Obama gains.

February 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
  67. Philo Novak

Who are these so called Republicans supporting Santorum? Have they looked at his track record or job performance as Senator of Pennsylvania?

He lost the senate re-election campaign by the greatest margin ever in a Pennsylvania senate race. The voters couldn't wait to get rid of him, and the conservatives hated him.

He lied about his residencey, and he lied to get the taxpayers of PA to fund his kids private school tuition. He won't even show his face in Pennsylvania after all the people he lied to.

February 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
  68. dinak

Hey, Mr. King, how about asking the candidates their views on ILLEGAL immigrants violating our immigration laws?

February 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
  69. scoobypoo

I'm really looking forward to Obama's 2nd term.
    With these GOP jokers it's guaranteed.

February 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
  70. Paul

I hope Santorum can tell some actual things he would do and not spend all night preaching the good book

February 20, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
  71. Wanda Theronda

A couple years ago I could not imagine myself voting for Obama in the next election. But oh my gosh. Are you kidding me. Santorum or Gingrich or Mitt so far are our other choices. It is either a funny joke or a tragedy or a bad dream. Obama wins hands down. If this is the best that the new Circus party, formerly Republican party, can put out I guess I will join them and watch the circus Wednesday and cry and laugh with everyone else.

February 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • Wanda Theronda

We should be very afraid, people.

February 20, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • macbill

You're right Wanda, Obama will win because he wants to take a reasonable course under very difficult conditions. Romney wants to take us back to the age of Robber Barons in the late 19th Century when people make huge fortunes and the rest worked for them. And Santorum wants to take us back to the 1950s, when sex/abortion/contraception was just whispered about and hidden from view. and Gingrich wants to take us to the Moon, but not in a good way.

February 21, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  72. fx61

"If Santorum can’t pull off an upset win in Romney's home state of Michigan, that will spell major heartburn for the former Massachusetts governor."

Wolf, looks like this is too much for you to handle, you are struggling with a simple logic all the time.

February 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

It's a simple typo; get over it. If Santorum CAN ...

February 20, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • stormeagle

Yeah I think Wolf means "can pull off"
      I think Wolf is a bit past his prime – he rarely seems to provide new insight – mostly just recaps what is already widely known and has been already said

February 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  73. HoneyBe

I'm sure Wolf and the msm would like nothing better than to see these candidates tear into each other, but how about aksing the candidates pertinent questions and giving ALL participants the opportunity to answer. The public needs to hear their views instead of watching a Jerry Springer style confrontation.

February 20, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  74. Robert

If republicans think Santorum will pull ANY of the independant vote, they are SORELY mistaken. Only Romney can do that.

February 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • Rags

Romney couldn't pull his .......

February 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
      • Gurcharanpreet

, while repeatedly rnirerfeg to either Romney or Gingrich on almost every single issue!!! This was not a debate more like a politically incorrect talk show hosted by Gov. Romney and his goons. Whatever they can't shut us down forever!!! Yikes! And we think our votes matter-THEY DO WHAT THEY WANT, HOW THEY WANT, it's becoming ridiculously close to a three-ring circus .help! P

April 4, 2012 at 3:42 am |
  75. harvey johnson

This is a note to all the atheist out there, believe me you will be praying to God if any of the GOP idiots get elected to the President of the United States.

February 20, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

True, but it won't happen. Thank God.

February 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
  76. Twainland

Maybe they'll eat each other alive before the debate's over and we won't need to deal with either of them. I can dream can't I?

February 20, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  77. Ecologist

Sounds like Ricky want the US to become a theocracy, based on his own narrow view of religion. The governments in the middle east are all theocracies. How's that working for them, Ricky?"

February 20, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  78. Bob

The joke will be on Santorum and the right-wing GOP, The general population dislikes self-righteous bible thumpers more than they do Mormons.

February 20, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • Twainland

This whole act will get him through the primaries; maybe even to the nomination. But the general election will be his worst nightmare.

February 20, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Jimmer

bobby......the liberal population dislikes anything that values morals...whats you point?

February 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
      • Bill in Florida

Yeah right. President Obama's family is one of the most respected families in the world. The man has very high morals. One wife, no extramarital affairs. Two great kids.

February 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • meemee

Yep. It is obvious to me that Obama will win. I'm an Independent with some conservative feelings, but this problem of conservatives and Christian fundamentalism kills any chance for them. Obama has learned how to be a moderate and he has accomplished some important things, even if he has had failures. People will stick with the moderate they know over any of this crowd that seem to promise chaos through the reckless policy changes they promise.

February 20, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
      • Larry in Houston

You're right – Obama has been coming around to the middle – that's what they ALL Do – Clinton was left – but he eventually came around to the middle – Obama was the furthest to the left, when he got elected, for his first 2 yrs – NOW, since he knows it's coming towards his re-election, he's going towards the middle. Same way w/ Bush – They All Do it.

February 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Nare

I agree.

February 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  79. Aldo Martinez

Why not ask them about what their economic plan to provide jobs is?
    Why not ask them why if the religious institutions will not have to pay for contraceptive care is prohibiting them not a violation of a woman's right of privacy?
    Why not ask them why is contraceptives a serious problem when it is used for otherwise health issues affecting women?
    I am not interested in seeing them go after each other – I am interested in hard answers to real problems.

February 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • Jim

Don't look for answers from the republican party, they blame and obstruct any tangible progress in order to win the election, this worked for them during the midterms, so they want to ride their way into the presidents chair with no effort given to offer any real solutions. If a solution is offered, they risk loosing the election if it works so why not make sure no solution is able to be brought up in the house and ride it out while their pockets get filled.

February 20, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • IAB

That is what I'm interested in also. Ask MORE meaningful question. David Gregory allows them to rant and rave without asking for stats or proof. Please ask questions with some substance.

February 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • meemee

I can't understand your sentences concerning women's issues. Here's what I see wrong in the contraceptive vs Catholic hospital debate; If a religion wants to have a hospital that only serves members of their particular sect of faith, then they can prohibit or not provide a service that goes against their beliefs, although they are still responsible for things like malpractice. But if they offer their services to the public at large, then they cannot force their restrictions onto the public. It is not a question of the Church being disturbed by the State, it is a question/situation of the Church attempting to apply its particular policies to the public, thereby forcing their views on the public. That is a violation of the separation of Church and State. The only reason these religious hospitals exist is primarily to make money for the Church, tax free. Next, they are there for the purpose of espousing their belief system to the public.

February 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
      • Wayne

If the catholic hospital doesn't want to do or pay or provide ins. for abortions then go to the public hospital down the street that will do what you want. Problem solved.

February 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

Why bother? Politicians never answer the questioned they're asked anyway. Let's have a drinking game for everytime "Obamacare" is mentioned by any of the candidates. Burp!

February 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
      • Jean

And, I assume, you agree the Obamas should have 17 vacations in 3 years, costing taxpayers anywhere from $4-10 Million for each vacation while all hard working people are barely able to put food on the table and gas in their cars. Yes, they pay for the hotel or luxury homes but that is just a small piece of the price. The real unemployment is 15% not 8.2%. The number have improved because a majority of those who got unemployment compensation now have convinced someone that they are disabled and have joined the Social Security disabled group. Come on people.....Bill....look beyond the obvious.

February 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  80. TNTROCKS

let the circus continue. Hard to see Santorum beating Obama because the election hinges on his ability to win independents, and he doesn't have much to offer them. Also, I'm curious on whether women will vote for him in the general, as it stands right now I think there will be a big differential

February 20, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Bill in Florida

GOP women are overwhelmingly supporting Romney over Santorum, even while GOP men are trending the opposite direction. All women - even GOP women - know what Santorum wants.

February 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • Larry in Houston

women won't give santorum the vote – come november – that's why he will lose to obama – why do you think the donald is getting his say ? He's saying that everyone should go for the one who's going to be more of a moderate – which would be Romney – Santorum will never make it all the way to the general, without losing.

February 20, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
  81. yoshimoto

Santorum is 100% worthless as a candidate. He has never really held a job, made money as yet another insider "consultant" and keeps going on and on about "values" while the country's economy is collapsing. I don't know why Mitt has not sewn up the nomination – he's successful in business, fixed the Olympics and balanced the Mass. budget – he has the experience and expertise we need to not only beat Obama, but to actually do something about this economy. Santorum has nothing and lost his last election. Don't vote for this guy, he will be our ruin.

February 20, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Yoshimitsu Takahashi Mishima

A lot of higher ups on wall street were also successful by screwing everyone else over. If Mitt Romney were President he would leave with a golden parachute after setting up his contacts so when he leaves, he's really got it made. $250 million isn't enough for him since he's still fighting to keep his taxes lower than yours and mine.

February 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • IAB

Romney wants smaller government, no regulations, more tax breaks for the rich. He was successful chairing the olympics b/c the GOVERNMENT invested millions of dollars. Check the facts and figures. This man is not all that he says he is. When one man constantly bashes another man he himself has nothing to offer. It is OK to criticize but please have something to offer, something constructive. Based on the behavior, words and deeds of many of the GOP they hate ppl of color, women, gays, the poor and Pres, Obama. Money and power is their GOD.

February 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Louis Friend

Republicans will be your ruin.

Fixed that for you.

February 20, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
  82. V in Chicago

Another day at the circus!

February 20, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
  83. Buster

“The Tea Party boils up one candidate to the top of the pot one day and another the next. The real question is how will the candidate once decided fair against Obama in a world where Tea isn't the only drink America has a taste for. Romney has gone so far right, to return to the center is now impossible­. Newt wants a third rally, it seems he thinks the number 3 is lucky for him, not only with wives, but politics as well. And for Rick, to pull himself off the cross he nailed himself on, is sure to hurt his hands and feet way too much!”

February 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Jerry v

TeaParty may swerve back to Caine. 999 is at least kind of an economic plan. How far right is the GOP going to lurch? Seriously, Lincoln, Eisenhower, Nixon, Agnew, Reagan, Romney Sr.,Bush Sr.,etc,etc would not be allowed in the Party Tent today. What a clenched fist group of narrow thinking people.

February 20, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  84. Pk duster

I hope john king ask that sob rick s if that bothers him about that he hurt peoples feeling about people who went to i2 years of school in the factory

February 20, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  85. Zane

A vote for Santorum is a vote for the most corrupt!
    In 2005 Santorum introduced a bill which would have made it illegal for the National Weather Service to give out free weather information, such as a forecast. It was found out numerous private weather companies, such as AccuWeather, gave a lot of money to Santorum’s campaign. As a result of this bill, and really much of his history as a senator, the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington named Santorum the “most corrupt” senator of 2006.

February 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • yuhmad

This guy is scary.....

February 20, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • Larry in Houston

Santorum has been a washington insider for a very long time – D.C. will be more of the same – if santorum gets the nod. same 'ol same 'ol – and more corruption, with santorum, because he knows the in's & out's of big gov't.

February 20, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  86. John Belden

I think you meant to say if Santorum CAN pull off the upset in Michigan

February 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • nell ryan

Yes, if it's not CAN then the sentence doesn't make sense.

February 20, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
      • stormeagle

Wolf means "can" – or else his logic is completely unfathomable.

February 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  87. Oliver El Paso, TX

Has the GOP change it mind and is favoring Rick Santorum, I keep waiting when for somebody find some on him.

February 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  88. Pk duster

Each debate is getting so nasty rick mitt and newt treat each other like there germs if one be comes president if you are not rich you will be home less

February 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  89. CaliLiberal

I really fear for our country's future. Mitt Romney has it right, we are fighting for the soul of America. Our soul is in danger from religious zealots who mean to trample on our freedoms. Our soul is in danger by a GOP that is anti women, anti cop, anti firefighter, anti teacher, anti union, anti poor, anti science, anti black, anti latino. Our soul is in danger from Rick Santorum, who says all federal and state funding should be taken from our schools, from Mitt Romney who doesn't care about the poor and who is a wholly owned subsidiary of Wall Street and the .25%. We are in danger from Newt Gingrich and his "grandiosity", and we are in danger from Ron Paul who would rather have government burn. America, vote wisely, as you can see from the 2010 elections, you get what you vote for!

February 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • meemee

I don't like Santorum or Republicans, but I am through paying so that teachers and their unions can make money trying to educate immigrants that hate me. I think the public school system has become a scheme, and ought to be replaced with private schools and charter schools that cater to specific needs.

February 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
      • Get Real

February 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
      • Andrew

LOL@ meemee..."I am through paying so that teachers and their unions can make money trying to educate immigrants that hate me." Typical GOP rambling, makes no sense. (I wonder why you think all immigrants hate you...maybe it's because you're prejudiced?)

February 21, 2012 at 9:29 am |
    • macbill

Our soul is in danger of going broke because we've passed laws allowing Mitt Romney to pay such low federal taxes 14% vs me paying 21%. And trust me, I make a fraction of what he makes. And don't give me this he's a "job creator" stuff. I love this country and capitalism is the best economic system, but Wall Street greed is helping to kill our American soul.

February 21, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  90. Thomas Post

Center stage, really that’s funny Romney has double the count of actual Delegates, is that left or Right of center between the four candidates.

February 20, 2012 at 4:13 pm |