Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

BLITZER’S BLOG: Musharraf on why he’s returning to Pakistan
January 13th, 2012

BLITZER’S BLOG: Musharraf on why he’s returning to Pakistan

By Wolf Blitzer, CNN

(CNN) - I spoke with former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, who made it clear that he’s going back to Pakistan at the end of this month, despite authorities’ threat of arrest.

“Yes, indeed,” he told me from Dubai. “I am blessed to go back.”

The conversation reminded me of one I had Benazir Bhutto on September 27, 2007. At the time, she, too, told me she was going back to Pakistan to run for office. There were numerous threats against her life. Her own father had been assassinated.

“I know the past has been tragic,” she told me, “but I’m an optimist by nature. I put my faith in the people of Pakistan. I put my faith in God.”

Shortly after she returned, she was assassinated.

I asked Musharraf if he, too, is frightened that he might be killed.

“I am prepared for the risks,” he said. “I have to be prepared for the risks. You take the security measures as much as you can.”

He said there were no “100 percent” guarantees.

“So, that’s where I believe in destiny. That’s where I believe we have to leave everything to God Almighty once you have made arrangements or taken steps for your security. Whatever then happens is left to destiny.”

The interview will air today in the 5 p.m. ET hour of “The Situation Room” on CNN.

Follow Wolf Blitzer on Twitter: @WolfBlitzerCNN

RELATED STORY: President Zardari returns to Pakistan amid heightened tensions

Filed under: Pakistan • Pervez Musharraf • Wolf Blitzer
  1. MDUDUZI MAHLAMBI

I wish him the best of luck on his return to Pakistan, maybe his many years in politics and leadership will benefit the great country of Pakistan

January 16, 2012 at 5:52 am |
    • Leo comrade

Thank u for ur support. I m a Proud Pakistani & I know that pervez Musharraf is a hope for Pakistan...
      I m thanking u to show ur support as our biased media shows only negative things about our beloved leader. thanks once again.

January 16, 2013 at 6:59 am |
  2. japanlover

Mr. Blitzer, I am surprised you posed a question such as 'aren't you afraid you will be assassinated?' to Mr. Musharraf. Well he wasn't he the Executive in Chief of Pakistan who sheltered Osama Bin Laden? All his theatrics about he does not know, and Osama is not in Pakistan is a BIG LIE!!. The fact is the Army in Pakistan owns the country and their income is to keep the terrorists going to essentially extract what amounts to ransom from US

January 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
  3. Khattak

The people of Pakistan should welcome him back ! The so call democratically elected officials currently leading are looting the nation. They all should be lined up against a wall & "fill in the blank here".

January 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
  4. DC

Blitz, please ask him to stay where he is now. And, "in case" he becomes the President again, please inform US govt not to believe a word he says. I am very happy that ONLY Hillary Clinton showed the guts to tell Pak Govt in Pakistan the real truth about what they are doing to "help" US in the war on terror which was and is NOTHING. It took a lot of time and wasted money to uncover the truth about Pakistan-sorry to say.

January 13, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  5. sid marty

He seems like the most reasonable person among the bunch of corrupt Pakis

January 13, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Dan5404

Hel will last about long enough to drive away from the airport. No reasonable man can exist where everyone around you can be an extremist assassin.

January 13, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
  6. John

He should be tried in people court on the streets of Karachi or Lahore. He should face justice and music for the crimes he committed against Pakistan. Justice should be delivered to him so never another person like himself can even dream of taking over Pakistan.

Good bye Musharraf. May you face the music for your bad deeds.

January 13, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • Bob

What bad deeds?

January 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • Saad Siddiqui

What, Bad Deeds, He was the best man for Pakistan after Jinnah

January 27, 2012 at 1:26 am |
  7. thecorrector

Wolf, Benazir Bhutto's dad was executed, not assassinated. He had been convicted of crimes. get your facts straight

January 13, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
  8. Abdul Khan

The big proof, he is a ritious person is He supports Imran Khan/PTI which is only honest/trustable party which can bring positive changes in the country. and Musharraf has to be there in order to help them out.

Long Live Pakistan.

January 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
  9. Abdul Khan

I believe he should go back with Good faith and I am sure he has that, also to help Pakistan to stop dron atttacks on people and take the country to next level.

ofcourse he is a good leader, proven, trusted and honest for pakistan

January 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  10. Tom

I thought that Pakistan would be better after Musharraf. I was plainly wrong. Pakistan just couldn't handle the kind of democracy the West was expecting it to do.

January 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
  11. Bill

Let's hope this guy's return is a turning point in a messy situation and will let us slip out of there and let them "hold free elections" or whatever they like to call their process – so we can be shed and out of of an interminable hopeless political situation and watch future developments from afar.

January 13, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
  12. Pinky Pants

this guy is a mass murderer, chief terrorist, and a crook

January 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
  13. Albie

I am pakistani and blessed to be living in usa, God Bless America, my personal suggestion to president musharaf make a U Turn and get a flight to california and start a new life and never go back. Let pakistanis choose their future, Ms Bhutto did not take wolf's advised and poor lady end up loosing her life. Ambassador Haqqani made a mistake trusting and being friend with Ijaz and end up loosing his JOB and now can not leave pakistan, So Mr President Musharaf do not be stuburn think with the straight head do not go!!! God Bless America

January 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • M Ansari

I agree with you 100%. I am also a Pakistani, and I have been living in USA to escape from the chaos in Pakistan. I would urge all Pakistanis to do the same, if they can get out. Inshallah

January 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
      • Saad Siddiqui

I pity on you , You better not advice Pakistanis to do the same , you are not helping the country , so you better stay out and let others make it a better place instead of running away from chaos , I am a UK National but I am staying in Pakistan to help make it a better place .

January 27, 2012 at 1:34 am |
  14. Smj

He was Chief of Pakistani Armed Forces not a bloody civilian like Bhutto. Assasination and caoital punishments are for civilians, nothing ever happens to generals of Pakistan 🙂

January 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  15. PRAKASH MULLICK

Benazir Bhutto's father Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto was not assassinated. He was found guilty and was hanged under the dictatorship of the then President Zia-ul-Huq.

January 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  16. Aariz Abbasi

Very disappointed in your reporting on this issue. Your story builds him as America's staunchest ally in the war on terror when the reality is that much of the money that he took from the US was misappropriated. Aid money that was intended to be used to combat religious extremists on the Afghan border was in fact used to strengthen his own position of power domestically. The Pakistani Army of which Mush was the head of strongly favors using the extremists as a proxy against India. So much of the turmoil that exists in the country today is do in direct part to Mush's actions.

January 13, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
  17. Shahin

A Corp master returning back to teach the new generation for another Corp- i guess!

January 13, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
  18. rk

he will go back...they are all brainless..benazir bhutto also went to this cesspool and got killed..in any case as long as he stays in pak its good..dont want him runing back again to some western nation along with his sleeper cells.

January 13, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  19. Steve

Relations were much better with Pakistan when he was in charge and he was easy to deal with. He is a transformational type of leader and something that Pakistan is in need of right now! I wish him all the luck!

January 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
  20. Jim Thomas

If it happens,it happens.Those kind of people live on the edge all the time and realize their days are always numbered.Jim Thomas Phx.Az.

January 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm |