Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

BLITZER'S BLOG: A salute to politicians
January 10th, 2012

BLITZER'S BLOG: A salute to politicians

By CNN's Wolf Blitzer

(CNN) - I know it will probably sound weird, but I admire these politicians who put themselves out there before the American public knowing full well that all their warts will be exposed big time.

Most of them already have lots of money. They could easily coast at this point in their lives and sit back and relax.

Instead, they are working hard on the campaign trail.

I’ve seen them in action, and it’s tough. They get up early in the morning and go to sleep late at night. They have to deliver the same stump speech over and over and over again, and then answer an endless amount of often annoying questions at town hall meetings, at diners and from reporters such as me.

I’ve covered politicians long enough to know they certainly like the power that comes with elected office, but it’s still a rough and tough proposition. You think it’s easy going out there all the time and appealing for campaign cash?

Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, Jon Huntsman, Ron Paul and Rick Perry could have taken the easy path and relaxed and enjoyed life. Instead of playing golf and hanging out with their children and grandchildren, they are working hard trying to get the Republican presidential nomination. In the process, they are bitterly attacked - often for good reason.

Why do they do it?

I know what they say. They say they are interested in public service and want to help the American people. They say they believe in what they are trying to achieve.

The cynics say they have huge egos and are simply seeking power and glory.

That is certainly true of some politicians.

But having covered many of them over the years, I also know some are trying to do the right thing, and I salute them.

RELATED: Young, old rally around candidates

Post by:
Filed under: 2012 election • Politics • Wolf Blitzer
  1. In Home Personal Training Long Island

Wolf I agree I do too admire these politicians who put themselves out there before the American public knowing full well that all
    their warts will be exposed big time. I also like the word wart! great usage.

I always ask myself why do people with so much money even bother. I believe the answer is to better themselves and a little to do with
    ego. Successful people love to succeed.

December 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
  2. Customer Service

I love it when folks come together and share opinions. Great blog, continue the good work!

March 13, 2012 at 1:51 am |
  3. Richard Lawrence

Wolf, Why are you so heaped on NG. I am very tired of the negative comments against Romney, and the continuing praise on Newt Gindrich.
    Since when did CNN become inexpert on either of these two candidates, and since when was CNN licensed to attempt to sway voters one way or the other. It was my understanding that News Organizations were supposed to deliver the news, not try and make it.

February 1, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  4. grace sette

hi wolf,
    what does it say about the character of someone who does not even congratulate his opponent. gingrich, in my opinion, is a loser in so many ways, but mostly not having the decency to do the right thing. my only hope is that he has a signifcant loss in this election. romney has my vote and hopefully will become the nominee.

February 1, 2012 at 12:45 am |
  5. T Kelly

Surely he's joking......

January 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  6. Jacob

Salute the parents working two jobs, the single moms trying to put food on the table, the families struggling to provide. Do we really need a piece on politicians opening themselves up to criticism so they can control huge amounts of power? We are supposed to feel sympathetic because these people don't spend time with their families?

This kind of writing is mind boggling.

On some level just about all of us want to do good and improve things – it isn't just politicians.
    But the vast majority of politicians on the left or the right are in for the power. It is fine, but please, spare us the fluff.
    This piece sounds like it was written as an apology to the sorry state of affairs that the country finds itself in.

January 12, 2012 at 3:48 am |
  7. hnstyngov

Hey Wolf... wake up and smell the coffee

ALL of these GOP contenders on the road ( except Mitt ) are doing it " for the MONEY ". Every one of them ( except Mitt) is selling THEMSELVES thru the publicity they get. They all write books ( $$$ ) or $ell their image so they can get paid for speeches with their Conservative base. The more Popular they are and the more appearances they get on FOX means more $ales.
    And YOU think they want to do it to " help the American people " ? These people are CONSERVATIVES... or should i call them CAPITALISTS. They live for the almighty Dollar. THAT is their motivation.

January 12, 2012 at 2:44 am |
  8. hank

I really do admire them from taking time out of being rich, to continue their endless quest to become richer.

January 11, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
  9. Katrina

Gee, I'd LOVE to have a job where I travel all over this beautiful country of ours on someone else's dime, give some speeches, answer some questions, eat wonderful food, AND call that work! LOL, what a friggin' joke! I laugh as I currently have 2 part time jobs, go to school at 2 schools right now, barely have food in my cabinet and worry constantly about being able to pay child support each month. Yeah...politicians "work" so hard. Walk a mile in my shoes and I'll show you work!

January 11, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Kellie

January 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Anon

Kellie wins this thread with:
      > I can't wait for the next installments in this series: "I admire bankers" and" I admire reality show stars". <

Especially for this crop of candidates, who all continue to advocate policies which brought the economy down,
      while claiming to help the American 'middle class' or whatever remains of it.

January 19, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  11. Jay

What would we do without Wolf's hard hitting journalism?

January 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  12. Joe O'Connell

I would admire them the way I would admire the economy with which a black widow mates & has a meal all in one.
    Other than that I wouldn't applaud professional exhibitionists for a stripe tease revalation of their ugliest traits.

January 11, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  13. Ted New Mexico

No you are not its no wonder why people do not become more involved in this arena. But what we see now with the party leaders it isn't a process that one needs to look hard to see why it is broken. I'm a novice to politics so I'm asking you, if the democratic system is such that it brings about the greatest ideas of all participants and provides the represented people an ability to decide based off the ideas. Why then would any party want to stifle the speech of anyone as we now see the Republican Party spokespeople, Rush and Romney included, telling the participants to step aside or not bring out the issues that every voter should know. Is this what is wrong with the two party system that the few state what the many should know and think? Is this Democracy we so much value?

January 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  14. Alan in SF

Or, maybe they do it so that after a few years of enriching their campaign contributors, they can earn multi-million dollar fees as lobbyists for the rest of their lives.

January 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  15. Foxtrot22

The best service most politicians - and their handlers - could render their country would be to spend their time "playing golf and hanging out with their children and grandchildren." We have "raised" a generation of thoroughly dysfunctional politicians, and there is nothing admirable about them.

January 10, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • Maekong Mike

That nailed it Foxtrot. If any of these clowns were family members, we would be sitting them down for an 'intervention'. The ultimatum would go something like this... 'We have time and again listened to your plans and promises to change, to own up to your actions, to take responsibility for your shortcomings, to stop taking money from our wallets and purses when you thought we were not looking. Some of us still love you, but you have lost the respect of most of us... We wish you luck in your endeavors, but you can no longer continue to live here and take advantage of our kindness and good nature. Perhaps a few months of living in shelters and working as a busboy will change your outlook and convince you to turn away from the self-serving path of destruction that you have chosen at our expense. Have a nice life (add the politician of your choice here__________). When you have seriously mended your ways, you can always come back and try to convince us of your redemption. But even if we allow you back, we will never be able to give you the keys to the economy again...

January 13, 2012 at 6:57 am |
  16. patricia Donnelly

Can not agree with you to night as all I heard , saw , understood and confirmed that money onlly wins elections in the USA .Money makes things happen , regardless of the character, capablity , vision , believe of any candidate . This was openly discussed by all the BOYS on the stage and it seems accepted by the voter as normal behavior . Democracy it is not . It allows false untruthful statements , distorted information , wide scope of promises of which few if any can be kept . As well , they enforced the sense of terror , fear and diviisivness that only cripple the growth of the country .
    Heaing the words of the front runner re Edward Kennedy and his money problems when running as well as he words of his father re running .
    As well Mitt and others have talked on and on and on about increasing the millitary might of the USA , return to being the warrior aggressive bully etc . NOTE , not one of Mitt's sons have volunteered in aqny services . Good luch Mitt , Scarry future with Mitt or any of the candidates at this time in the WH as the world undergoes major change s. .

January 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
  17. david moscovitch

There is little to respect about politicians running for President of the United States. Politicians are not all the same, by virtue of the fact that there is a hierarchy of positions to fill. The top of the heap is a special status, that requires a special person. And from watching the debates and CNN coverage since this circus began, there is nothing special from this crop. Respect no, feeling sorry for them , yes. You have to remember that this is the best that American money can buy. They give up a normal life to pursue a dream, but it’s their dream, not that of the American people. Politicians say what they must to different audiences to gain power. But once there they rarely keep their promises, and forget the dream they shared with their voters. If you must write the fairy tale feeling stuff Wolf, be honest ; these politicians want the brass ring so bad they will do anything for it, and the long days, and lonely nights are not a big sacrifice to them. Only losing is.

January 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
  18. pat carr

Good job trying to have a positive view but i can't admire this set of clowns at all

January 10, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • Ryoko

We will optimize your site to inescare its rankings with major search engines. This will drive targeted online users to your site, as well as attract new users through the use of relevant keywords and phrases. Not only will we help you gain those higher rankings, but maintain your status through continual management and support. Please reply to this email so we can send you more details.

September 12, 2012 at 3:27 am |
  19. Craig

People run for President mostly because they want power and fame; they are not primarily motivated by the desire to improve the country. This is not a bad thing.

January 10, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  20. Steve B

Spot on, Wolf! Bad politicians get most of the coverage, but most good public servants get bad coverage. No good deed goes unpunished. Many comments about greed. Unfortunately greed now is at all levels: rich, middle class and poor, young and old. Too many wanting rewards without work or taking risk. Bad politicians cater to the lazy and greedy and that is why we are in the mess we are in.

January 10, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  21. Robert Yarush

Oh No... Not you Wolf.... When the media begins to praise these politicians.... Something's really wrong. How is it Wolf would praise the American politican... and I see them just a step down from white collar criminals. I've been following politics for only 30 years or so.... and have never heard the Americn politician deviate from the same old song and dance. My earliest recall of following politics goes back to Nixon... barely.... and have never ever seen or heard the politician speak but in circles.... anything to get elected... I rely on you Wolf to take these guys on... give me something other than praise for these guys.

January 10, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • Tom Jasper

Wolf, it's obvious all the candidates have an agenda that would in turn enrich themselves, to say that is not the case is foolish in my opinion. That enrichment can take many forms, from financial or power, or personal satisfaction in seeing the American public do better for themselves above all other motivations. You and I both know who that one candidate has no need for power or money, you and I both know only one candidate has refused a Gov. pension, you and I both know only one candidate RETURNS excess funds(surplus) back to the US Treasury. Now if you want to get all gushy about these men I would suggest you would look more believable if you gushed over a man that is 100% incorruptible, that's something worth getting teary eyed about, everything else is fluff candy.

January 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  22. ej88

Wolf. If you are a present-day Republican, you are NOT interested in "public service". By definition, public service requires serving the public, i.e. most of us. Republicans clearly do not serve the majority of us; they are only interested in the wealthy and the ignorant. A real Republican would be far more centrist, compromising and tolerant; an honest Republican would not pander to a fringe group such as the Tea Party.

The "sacrifices" these candidates are making pale compared to the power and wealth they strive for. Not to mention the ego-boosting the attention they crave gives them now. Your editorial, for example.

January 10, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • Arkboy3

I agree completely!

January 10, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  23. vicky

Wolf, give me a break – our politicians are sitting back and relaxing at taxpayers expense. They are on vacation half of the time and when in office, they do nothing but cover up problems. They are a fraud, waste and abuse of taxpayers funds. The same as Government employees, they need to earn their leave and if they are dedicated to the Country, they will use their leave to campaign. Government employees earn 16 hours of annual leave per month and an additional 4 hour of sick leave per month. Why should they get special privileges at taxpayers expense???.

January 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • vicky

correction: 8 hours of sick leave per month

January 11, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
  24. Dan

I knew a man of impecible reputation, very successful in his business, a loving family man and a real leader. He was asked many times to run for state or national office but refused to run personally. He would work for others but not put himself out there. I asked him about it and his answer was what I have heard from others "I don't want to put my family through it". Sad that people of character, intelligence and vision do not run because of how personal it gets, how the media and others attack not only you but your family is game as well. I agree that the sacrifice to campaign is very real and under appreciated. Whether I agree with them or not, question some of the motives, I still applaud them for not taking the easy road and instead working so hard. Just try to run for the local city council and see what a challenge it is to run for any office much less for the President of the US. It is easy to judge them while we sit in front of the TV doing little or nothing to make changes, to contirbute, to work for a better community or country.

January 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
  25. Smokey

I believe that these men are running for President because they truly believe in America and public service, they have a vision for the country which they think will make it better than it is right now, and they want to implement that vision. Why else would anyone subject themselves to the rigors of the campaign trail? These guys have money, they have homes, they have families who love them. They could all be making way more in the private sector than they will as President. They are making a sacrifice, an enormous sacrifice, giving up their time and privacy and putting themselves directly in the firing line to do something valuable for America. Even the losers enrich the country by contributing to a strong and competitive primary race. We should respect the sacrifices candidates make in running for President, it is not an easy path.

January 10, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
  26. Ken

I realize these guys are doing tough things and enduring the brunt of our frustrations that is meant for the 'other' elected politicians who at some point put their warts out for everyone to see. It is even possible that these candidates' ideals have them believing they are going to change something. But, since we are hearing the same old solutions to decades old problems, and watching the same finger pointing that indicates the other side is always to blame-we really have heard it all before- so why should we think these guys are going to change anything?

I would like one of these wart exposers to declare 'if I don't live up to my promises, for whatever the reason, I won't run for re-election' and mean it.

You see, the two political parties are so very used to campaigning on the same old problems and our acceptance of the same old solutions and worn out excuses for same old problems not being fixed, there is no reason for these candidates to do or say anything that has not already been said in past elections. We will buy whatever used bull food they are selling- I have seen the enemy and it is us.

January 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
  27. laprofe63

I'm not sure if I can admire them, but I can appreciate the effort, drive and stamina it takes to do what they're doing. But, yes. I also agree with some of the other comments that question, doubt, disbelieve even, their altruistic motives. Especially since they're all men. What did we learn recently? Men go into public office to be somebody, women do it to do something. So, I'll admire politicians more when they're less concerned with reaping benefits for themselves and their concentric circles of family & friends, or with doing the bidding of the lobbyists who buy their time. I'll admire them when they show me that ours is a government of the people, by the people, for the people–and not only "some people" either. @laprofe63

January 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
  28. Bertrand

@WolfBlitzer

Although I admire the sentiment, I cannot overlook the strange optics created by a news anchor/presenter writing an ode to politicians. Yes, I am aware you are a host/anchor and, thus, not a journalist, per se. Still, I cannot help thinking such a piece would serve better as an Op Ed piece than a blog post, notwithstanding the fact at the outset of an election year Wolf Blitzer should not be perceived as pandering to politicians.

January 10, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  29. Brian

"The cynics say they have huge egos and are simply seeking power and glory."..................That's what Nixon's psychiatrist, Dr. Hutschnacker said. He also said Nixon had an "abnormal relationship with his mother." Maybe that's a factor in politics.

January 10, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  30. Saundra Jones

I agree with you Wolf. Certainly a "character building" process. Just fyi...Rick Santorum has NEVER commented on the Romney "gaffe"...just fyi. Candy Crowley was mistaken on your show today.

January 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  31. Jess Sayin

If they were truly in it for noble reasons, and not the power, money, fame, wouldn't they be in favor of removing all wealth-gathering aspects of the job? Wouldn't they be in favor of an Amendment that limits campaigning, campaign contributions, lobbying and every other activity that lines their coffers? Wouldn't they vote to reduce their salaries and get their benefits in line with the average American? I don't see any Mr. Smiths in Washington these days, and with the current crowd I don't think any reforms will happen soon.

January 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • Burbank

You've certainly hit the nail on the head! Couldn't say it better myself.

January 10, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • MMallon

Dr Paul is one such Mr. Smith. He doesn't believe in campaign finance reform as you would understand the term because as a libertarian, he equates dollars with speech, and doesn't believe in restricting either. But he doesn't participate in the Congressional pension plan, returns all excess funds at the end of every fiscal year for his Congressional office budget, has never voted for a Congressional pay raise and talks often about taking a fraction of the traditional Presidential salary if he is elected to the White House.

January 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
  32. Rita D'Alvarez

You don’t get it because you are not a narcissist or psychopath. Most “normal” people would rather spend time with their families and relax. I say “most” because there are some people who are so passionate about a cause they will put themselves out there to “change the world.” These kinds of people give a consistent message and tend not to deviate wildly based on electability and, because of this, are frequently not successful. Suggest you look into narcissistic personality. Narcissists CRAVE wealth, fame and power. Also check out antisocial personality (ie psychopathic/sociopathic personality). These two types of personalities, often intermixed, are frequently found at work in the most influential reaches of society, such as medicine, finance, and politics.

January 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • Burbank

Sounds just like Newt, Palin, 999 Cain and too many others....

January 10, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • DellStator

It's been proven many a time that corporate leaders, ie, your boss, are more likely to be sociopaths, isn't that no good sense of right and wrong. Like what you said a narcissist is. At any rate. From what pool of applicants do bosses bosses come from, the pool of bosses, who are already 25% more likely to be a sociopath than you or I. Repeat this through a few selection levels, dept head, division head, VP, exec VP, president, CEO, etc. and it would seem at the top you are picking from a pool of candidates with a very, very high likelyhood of being sociopaths. Most politicians are rich, meaning they are already high up in this refining process, and maybe the political process is as good as selecting for mental problems as 20th century business is. I blame it on the "anything is fair in business and for money" crap the media bombard us with (media owned and run by rich sociopaths).

January 10, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • yuri pelham

You are right on target with sociopath-narcissist diagnosis. They can't find success however if not for gullible American electorate.

January 10, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
  33. Mark

Wolf. I appreciate your observations and believe they are with good will to humanize the touch of insanity that it must take to run for office. Having had a nationally known premier politician in my family I have wondered the same thing being a little closer to the action than most. What puzzles me is the seemingly oblivious nature this republican field has demonstrated, to their hypocritical tendencies. If they are aware of it and misdirect the public observations of them then I am profoundly insulted as a citizen and if they are not aware of their hypocrisy then I am afraid in equal measure.

January 10, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  34. vivian

Nice olive branch, Wolf. Nice sentiment too. However, these folks are hurting our nation by pandering to the lowest common moral denominator for their own gain. The Republican candidates specifically are deliberately being as mean, as judgmental, as stingy, and as holier than thou as they can, even using race baiting, and demonizing poor people so they can gain power ad influence. If you are inclined to pander to them by saluting them that is your call. You will not see me agreeing.

January 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  35. WatchingClosely

It is a major sacrifice. By law, you cannot take a salary from the campaign. The work is tough. And failure is probable when running against an incumbent. I always thank people (personally) who are willing to take on a major challenge against ian incumbent or in a long shot..

January 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  36. Pashupati

I agree with you Wolf, but remember all the tireless work they do now is for one reason – to laid back and relax once the assume office with the highest power in the planet. Luxury!!!

January 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  37. andyrodie

Excellent post Wolf and I totally agree with you. I join you in Saluting them as well.

January 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  38. Ben

Yeah. And all they get out of it is money, power, influence, and historical recognition. It's not like these are altruistic people willing to sacrifice of themselves for the greater good. They are egocentric people who think that they are smart enough to be the leader of the free world. It's a megalomaniac's gig – they want attention and they get attention. Even the bad times, they shoulder it as the payoff is just shy of control of the entire world.

January 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  39. Tom Todd

It's all about EGO, if this is the best the republicans can do, thier in trouble.....

January 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  40. Harry Wortz (Little Rock)

Methinks you are too close and are wearing blinders that prevent you from seeing the truth.

The question is for whom are they trying to do the right thing? Certainly not the population in general so it must be their monied masters.

Most are in politics for money and/or power and could care less about what's best for the population in general. They only care about those that can enrich them. When you say they already are rich and could be coasting, well, most of the population wishes they were doing just that. Remember money corrupts but power corrupts absolutely so by definition politicians are corrupt.

January 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  41. June

I know why they are working so hard, How else can they convince Americans that big corporations will give us jobs if they are allowed to rip us off, pay us slave wages, and forclose on our homes when they want. They also have to convince us that we don't deserve our SSA or Medicare benefits that we paid for, convince us that we should give our hard earned money to Wall Street and big insurance companies so they can steal our retirement benefits, and deny us proper medical care. I would say they need to be out there 24/7 right up to election day.

January 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  42. Evan

Wolf, any notions that you have a "capacity for abstract thought"are now dispelled. These "politicians" are waging a war to finalize the process of stripping the people of any remaining power they have and placing the "real power" in the hands of the corporate elite.

January 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  43. Anahita

Dear Wolf, if it was different reason for them to be on the public screen, I would support your opinion but their cause is to collect vote for their nomination. This is less expense for their campaign to use your public media to show off. Why not use it?

January 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  44. Bill

That's a different viewpoint. I think the reason the top people don't want to run for office is because of the crueling campaign, the way all of your secrets are revealed to the whole world, and the general realization that even if you win, there is very little you can actually control.

January 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  45. LWZRGHT

I agree with you partially Wolf. I am glad that we have people stepping forward who want to lead. We need strong leaders. There are more positions of leadership in government than just the presidency, though. I hope a few of them still take those jobs!

But they are also applying for the most powerful job in the world, and the American people expect the best. If we DIDN’T subject these guys to microscopic scrutiny, we wouldn’t be doing our jobs as the electorate. They have to be able to account for their past actions, and they have to have a clear plan for what they would improve. If the electorate seems fickle, it’s because NONE of these GOP candidates has presented a clear plan for what they would do differently in a way that would be accountable to the American people. Show us that, and I’ll show you the next President of these United States.

My only hope is that we as a country can grow out of the “gotcha” politics and debate real issues and policy. Let’s quit listening to the loudest, brashest voices and start listening to the smart ones. And maybe, just maybe, it’s ok to compromise in order to improve things, a little bit at a time.

January 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  46. Stanley Brutus

Politics determine the greatest possibilities SB has to face the biggest issues of a nation and to help carrying the burden of humanity's issues so this would be an dumb guy endowed with his egos trying to show how powerfull he is once he takes office as the president.

January 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  47. smoothface52

All of those real fake people all for themselves, an Gods for us all. How real can a person gets? HEY we don't need a any more Jack a in the white house again. They going to destroy us all.

January 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  48. george in texas

i think wolfe did not get it entirely right. our nation is about to go under, and our guys are trying hard to save the ship. that's what driving them.

January 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  49. anon-i-mouse

I guess I qualify as a cynic. It has nothing to do with helping the American people. It is ego, power and greed. Nothing less.

January 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  50. Lardoggy

Its sad Wolf,because its people like you who support the 85% of politicians who are in office that are only there for power over the people and cocktail parties.Yes you are right most do not need the money but for them money is not what it is above.

January 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  51. NTWillis

Wolf:
    I agree with you on this Wolf it is a tremendous sacrifice to be a public servant. What I find troubling is the hatred and division that I see on the political scene. There is tremendous disunity and confusion in our nation about how to govern. I would like all this infighting to cease and for someone to emerge with the capability to unify these factions. I want to see someone emerge who cares about America and not the pettiness that I have seen these last 4 years.
    I would like to see Americans grow up.

January 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  52. 131811

i don't know why you think they are so important. just like me, they could be swapped out easily.

January 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  53. nuser

Salute what Mr. Blitzer? Never ever did we hear so many lies, especially from Romney , in the entire history of politics. It
    should not be allowed!

January 10, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  54. Bob B.

This column boils down to a single Blitzer comment that anyone who believes that the current Republican candidates have huge egos and are simply seeking power and glory and cynics.

Perhaps Mr. Blitzer might consider the possibility that that statement, in itself, reflects his own cynicism. You can't easily dismiss a point of view that is supported by virtually every reported political event of this run up to selection of a Republican candidate for the most important elected office in the world by calling it cynicism, even if you are too close to the people in question to reliably pass judgement on them or those of us who believe differently than you.

January 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  55. Bijouandbucky

These politicians get plenty of power and glory even if they don't go all the way to the White House. Don't cry too hard for them.

January 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  56. Griff

"Maybe it's because they're interested more in meeting other world leaders, and leaving a secure base for what threatens their families? If your not satisfied with whats happening out there, then it's your duty!"

January 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  57. MK54

Too bad none of the Republicans have a clue what the right thing is.

January 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  58. Roger

Well said. Hopefully this batch will do the right thing. It is a thankless job. I think the most aggrevating thing is a guy talks for two hours at a rally laying out his vision and someone asks him a question that maybe affects 5% of the population and it gets reported over everything else 24/7. Then everywhere he goes reporters ask him to restate or clarify the wierd question few care about. That is what should change. Reporters like the gotcha over the facts.

January 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  59. Nasir Hussain

Refer to the last sentence Wolf, shouldn't you salute all of them not just Ron Paul?

January 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  60. Jim Thomas

How many of them are crooks?Did they steal money from the little people?If they cared about the little people they would not want to kill Social Security and put the shaft to us with high medicare.We older AMERICANS paid into S.S. for many years and these knuckleheads want to take it away from us.I say again,PUT S.S. BACK INTO A PRIVATE TRUST LIKE IT USED TO BE and there is plenty of money for years.The gov.owes that fund billions of dollars so don't give us people that crap.Jim Thomas PHX.AZ.

January 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • June

I agree with you 100% Congress has been raiding the SSA fund for years. Now they want to take it all for their pet projects & corporate friends. If they had to pay for their own retirement benefits & Healthcare instead of making us pay for theirs, they would think twice.

January 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
  61. mike tampa

Well Wolf, admire all you want to, ego is what drives politicans, not love of country for most. There may be a few but not many. lol

January 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  62. 2cents4free

How many rich people do you know that aren't trying to get richer? What they are working at now is trying to convert wealth into power which in turn results in even more wealth. Long story short... more money.

January 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  63. Nick

Wow. Sounds like Wolf went way out on a limb stating that every group of people has some that are trying to do good?? Power is the main motivator with this crowd.

January 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  64. lsdockter

I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic Mr. Blitzer! The groups of candidates are not "bravely" putting themselves out there for "scrutiny" like, say, for instance I might be. These politicians and wannabe politicians truly lie through their fake grins, think their "misdeeds", "mistakes", outright greed and even illegal actions are minor distractions. They care not what anyone thinks and believe themselves not ruled by the laws that the "other 99%" must live by. Money is their GOD and their true goal is to obtain as much as possible- damned be the laws and people that are harmed. Please look AGAIN at the atrocities most of the candidates have committed and see if you think they should be "bravely admired" or condemned and shamed for their denial and refusal to admit the gravity of their actions now and in the past!

January 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • alan seago

To lsdockter: Exactly.

January 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
  65. Dennis Guastella

Wolf- I wish I could agree with you. I think it is all about power, as simple as that sounds. I hate to hear the candidates patronizing to the American worker as if he can relate to their pain. One thing that I have learned from these debates is how dangerous the views are of Santorum, Gingrich and Perry.

January 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  66. Anthony Kaine

Yes, true to the desire and wishes of some one still working himself up, rich people as the politicians you pointed out shouls coast and enjoy everyhing his wealth can affored as his heart desires, but interest grow as people grow their wealth.

Man expands horising along his wealth and interest, this comes along with other interests that requires aid form the other interests and network to be fufilled, realised and profitable.

For that, politicians can never find dock at any coast of human resting towns.

January 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  67. Erik

@Blitzer – LMAO. Do you also admire them when they put their own interests before the country's? Career politicians are exceptionally skilled at profiting by leveraging their positions, selling out to corporations/special interest groups and destroying the American constitution.

January 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  68. Nicole

Thanks for sharing this with us, Wolf. I really enjoyed reading it. I have a lot of respect for politicians but I definitely understand that some of them just want power and glory.

January 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm |