Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

BLITZER'S BLOG: This time Gingrich has the fire
On Capitol Hill, House Speaker Newt Gingrich speaks to the press on March 2, 1995.
December 6th, 2011

BLITZER'S BLOG: This time Gingrich has the fire

By Wolf Blitzer, CNN

(CNN) – Watching Republican presidential front-runner Newt Gingrich in action brings back lots of memories. I’ve been covering him for a long time. I’ve seen his ups and his downs.

While preparing for my interview Wednesday with the former House speaker in Washington, I reviewed an early interview I had with the then-new speaker on June 10, 1995. I was CNN’s senior White House correspondent and was also anchoring “Inside Politics Weekend.” (Our tag line: “The events, the issues, the battles, the bites.”)

So much of what he said then is similar to what he says today.

At the time, he was thinking of challenging Bob Dole for the Republican presidential nomination to oppose Bill Clinton for a second term. “I think I intend to allow the door to stay open probably until close to filing in New Hampshire,” he told me.

By leaving the door open, he said the news media would cover his speeches.

He insisted his goal was to be an educator. “I tried teaching a 20-hour course which I taught for free, which was shown all over the country. I couldn’t get reporters who were interested in looking at it. But if we drop the word ‘presidential’ possibility, we have 15 cameras at a speech.”

In the end, he decided not to run - and he hinted at that during the interview.

“Would I like to be president? Probably. It’s not the burning desire on my part. I frankly like being speaker.”

He added, “Frankly, I am more interested in getting the ideas out and getting people to look at renewing American civilization and competing in the world market and accelerating the change in the information age.”

But that was then. I suspect he now does have a burning desire to be president. Knowing Gingrich, I suspect he can begin to feel there’s a real possibility of that happening, and he’s pumped.

This is all vintage Gingrich. He’s been honing his lines for a long time. Like all of you, I’m curious to see how this all plays out.

Follow Wolf Blitzer on Twitter: @WolfBlitzerCNN

Tune to the "Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer" tomorrow 4-6 p.m. ET for Wolf's interview with Newt Gingrich. Do you have any suggested questions for the interview? Submit them to our Facebook page here and your question may get asked.

Post by:
Filed under: 2012 election • Newt Gingtich • Wolf Blitzer
  1. John R from Oregon

Wolf
    Did I miss something, or did Newt advocate for free federal gov't health care when he said the money saved on lack of tax credit would go into a "pool" to be used if the person decided not to buy his own health insurance? It was in response to the question you asked Ron Paul during the debate.

December 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  2. Griff

"What do I think? I think that most of my answers to CNN's blogs really upset the Democrates! Could they be frightened of even me???"

December 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  3. Cindy Hebert

For Wolf's Interview on the Situation Room, with Gov. Perry – later on,today – 12/7/32011 – What about the USGP – the first two letters stand for the United States – to be held – supposedly, in Austin TX, in 2012?

December 7, 2011 at 7:13 am |
  4. Name*Ant

What country he will marry after U.S? probably he already knows it. What he got scare about what Pelosy might put out in the public?

December 7, 2011 at 6:45 am |
  5. Tough USA

Media filth along with Newt polls. CNN shut down posters. Newt is guilty of Adultry, Lying,Cheating and Stealing. CNN is making thier own bed. American will not forget. Newt is polling in fabricated polls while Paul polls 1st in 90% Staw and 90% internet. and even Ramassen puts him 2nd. Paul has broke another record for donations today. Visit his site where over just 1 day he is near 1 millions.

December 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
  6. Steve

Give me a freaking break! The guy is a DEFAULT candidate. He deserves no credit other than staying in the race in case the other candidates met a bitter end, which they have. Remember too that Giuliani had all kinds of double digit poll ratings going into the primary and did not come out with even one digit in the actual primary! This is just the media putting lipstick on a pig. the don't want people looking at Ron Paul, Huntsman, Gary Johnson - different choices than their narrow definition of republican (which is about 3% different than their definition of a democrat)

December 6, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
  7. Alex

Say no to Newt

December 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
  8. Duane R. Olson

NEWT GINGRICH gave a speech for, and voted for, the Major Legislation of Senate Bill, S.1762 which was identical to H.R.18583, the House Bill that President REAGAN VETOED because it created another branch of government, the drug enforcement agency! NEWT GINGRICH and the Ninety-Eighth House of Representatives committed TREASON to the Constitution by doing so. Why don't anyone do research on these clowns before the sheeple vote against someone rather than for someone?

December 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
    • Steve

Because the voters are stupid and only want candidates that tell them nonsensical things like "we'll get the budget in order without touching the 90% that is defense and entitlements or raising taxes...." or "only by giving up our constitutional rights, can we be truly safe and free...." That's what people want to hear and they are wishfully stupid enough to believe any politician that alludes to it.

December 6, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • Eileen

You should look up the word treason. Adding a new agency to the federal government through legislative means does not constitute treason.

December 7, 2011 at 8:01 am |
      • Duane R. Olson

Ileen; Perhaps you should look-up the Constitution, Art.,I., Sec. 7., Clause 4.! First, any legislation that takes away the life, liberty or property of "WE, the people" is called MAJOR LEGISLATION, Second, Congress cannot simply change the date on a Bill that the President has already VETOED and insert MAJOR LEGISLATION into a Continuing Appropriations Resolution for passage, and Third, for the Supreme Court's definition of TREASON TO THE CONSTITUTION, see Mr. Justice JOHN MARSHALL'S Opinion in Cohen v. Virginia; 6 Wheat 264 (1812) and US v. Will; 499 US20. However, thank you for your comments.

December 7, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  9. Duane R. Olson

I sent PROOF, supported by the page numbers of the Congressional Record, that on September 25, 1984, Members of the House of Representatives in the Ninety-Eighth Congress committed TREASON against the Constitution of the United States by inserting Senate Bill S.1762 the House Resolution for Continuing Appropriations for 1985. The exact same bill, with only the Title date changed from 1983, to 1984, had already been VETOED by President REAGAN. NEWT GINGRICH, the front-runner for the Republican nomination, made a speech on the floor supporting the bill and VOTED for it!!
    DOES ANY BODY CARE? Apparently NOT!! duane olson

December 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  10. Kevin

CNN – Can you stop focusing on negative headlines and actually focus on getting this country back where it used to be? It seems like you will do anything to create controversy and headlines. Can you focus on the depth of the candidate's plans to rebuild this great country. I have gathered more information reading Newt Gingrich's website on how he plans to turn around the country than you've spend in the last month having people talk about Herman Cain's sexual harassment charges, Mitt Romney losing in the polls and how Newt has had 3 wives.

December 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Brian

You're right – the media just covers who's hot, who's not and breaking scandals. None of the ideas presented by any candidate (except the President) receive any coverage.

December 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
      • Teabaggers, a kinder gentler Nazi

@Kevin, And how Newt cheated on his wife while she had cancer. Boy, what a great leader he would make.. Obviously,no grey matter in your head.

December 7, 2011 at 3:30 am |
    • Teabaggers, a kinder gentler Nazi

@Kevin, And how Newt cheated on his wife while she had cancer. Boy, what a great leader he would be and what a dirt bag you are!

December 7, 2011 at 3:28 am |
      • gay guy

Newts a good man, they separated before she got cancer AND she wasnt dieing, shes alive and well today, ANYONE BUT KING OBAMA IN 2012

December 7, 2011 at 9:24 am |
    • Mairtin deFaoite

The real issue here is Newts record, not what his web site says he'll do. The man is a lobbyist, if you think that's acceptal for a president then go ahead Nd vote for him. Personally, I think that disqualifies him.....

December 7, 2011 at 4:55 am |
  11. m

There is one thing gingRICH can absolutely count on no matter what. He will never get my vote.

December 6, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  12. Bobby Biles

Gingrich should not even be in the race. His comments about poor kids not having work ethics is unwarranted and downright ignorant. This type of comment anywhere else would be considered profiling at best. If someone made such a comment in the workplace, he or she would probably be dismissed. I don't even understand why you want to interview him. He is a waste of time if he believes this, which he does or he wouldn't have said it. But, I do understand you need to get the story (lies) first. I also thought CNN did a pathetic job when it interviewed two opponents on the issue. One defending the poor was an African-American with dreads. The other was some Ivy League blow hole. Doing that put race right into the mix, which makes it even more pathetic. I am white, I grew up poor, and I work my butt off every day. Being poor made me want to do more for myself, but affluent people such as Mr. Gingrich can't possibly understand this. Get the silver spoon out of his mouth.

December 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  13. pete4808

I wonder if there is a Tiffanys in Iowa? I can't believe that people think Newt Gingrich is a conservative. The guy was for cap and trade, for the individual health mandate,voted for the department of education,received 1.8 million from Fannie Mae for being an historian??? Disgraced the office of speaker of the house with his tawdry affairs and ethics violations, was for amnesty for illegals, 3 marriages,serial adulterer,career politician and the ultimate Washington Insider and some right wingers think he is the standard bearer for the tea party movement. Unbelievable!

December 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Jane

If a Presidential candidate spending his own wealth at places like Tiffany's bothers you, you should be very concerned with how the Obama's flaunt their money.

December 6, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  14. Sirned

Newt is a certified narrsisiss with delusional Napoleon ideas of himself. The way he talks about himself in such grandiose wordiness that is sprinkled with twisted truths . Throw in his disdain for poor kids and it should make any rational person be very carefull in considering him for President.

December 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  15. eric johnson

Im sure newt tha fire and desire to be president but where would that leave tha rest of the country we would have to fin for ourselfs with no help from newt and his boys

December 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  16. Richard-Missouri

Newt is the smartest guy in the race, on either side of the aisle. He would have Obama bleeding from all ports in a straight-up debate. For Newt, it would be all too easy. First, Newt is smart. Newt is also a great debator. Lastly, Obama is the worst president in the history of the nation. Argue as you will, Obama TRIPLED deficit spending (under Bush, it was $450 BILLION. Obama raised that to $1.7 TRILLION). Obama also has spent more moeny than all prior presidents spent, combined! YIKES! Obama has done little to nothing to get the economy or joblessness under control. He spent nearly a trillion on a stimulus, and has nothing to show for it. By Dem accounts, Bush and Republicans 'drove the car (economy) in the ditch'. If that's the case, Dems then took a sledgehammer, and polished off what was left! Honestly, Obama has been a miserable excuse for a president, and it would be way too easy for Newt to bury the guy in a debate. Newt may have his faults, but nothing Obama could really score a knockout punch with. I know Newt would be Obama and the Dem's worst nightmare for a debate.

December 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Iamnotfooled

Sarah Palin wanted Money--Cain wanted money– Huccabee wanted money -Gingrich -wants money. They never really wanted the Presidency just the 15 minutes of fame to sell their books and give paid speeches.

December 6, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • Ron

If I consider president standard Obama is the best president in last several decades. This is basics of economy when things are going good you save and when things go bad you borrow from savings. So when things were good we were still in deficit budget and spending like crazy and when things really gone south then we have no option put more deficit. And this guy really did it very smartly, you will not be able to understand what he is doing. In new global economy you need to go after increasing customer base, increase GDP and increase our competitive edge over other country, not by closing commerce, EPA and education. One wrong move in this fast moving global economy and we will be next Europe disaster.

December 7, 2011 at 12:31 am |
    • Mairtin deFaoite

Bring on the newt, It's comical.....

December 7, 2011 at 5:05 am |
      • Duane R. Olson

Mr. deFaoite; Your evaluation of NEWT being 'smart' has no bearing on your intelligence, if you cannot remember NEWT'S merciless act of serving divorce papers on his wife who was in the hospital dying of cancer, you probably don't REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR either and approve of both acts as 'smart'!

December 7, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  17. Deej59

If Bernie Madoff runs for president, will you folks write little pieces like this, or will you write something along the lines of "this guy is a crook and we'll waste no more space talking about him"? I understand there's a risk of becoming another Fox, but if your daughter was about to go on a date with, say, Ted Bundy, wouldn't you say "don't go with him, it's dangerous"? Well don't go with Gingrich, folks. It's not just dangerous, it's moronic.

December 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  18. JohnRJ08

WHAT? Wolf, stick to reading teleprompters. You're not good at this political commentary. Newt Gingrich has always had the "fire". The problem is, he is all fired up to take people's money and line his pockets. If he's not hocking a book, he boosting his speaking fees or offering to lobby for some shady corporation. If he's not buying jewels at Tiffany's, he's mailing out gavels with his name printed on them for $5,000 a pop. The guy is a shameless huckster. No wonder he's agreed to appear on The Donald's debate. Gingrich is an opportunistic, divisive, arrogant ideologue who is largely responsible for the divided government we're all enjoying today. Hopefully, his "fire" will burn out long before he has any political power again.

December 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  19. Jeff

Just let the guy crash and burn already. Given his political pandering, flip-flopping and 99% fluff responses to questions, I can't fathom how people can take him seriously.

December 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  20. FreddieBrown

I and many others would love to see a Gingrich/Obama debate.
    Hoever, I don't think the President is stupid enough to be slammed dunked by
    Gingrich. I am not entirely a fan of Newt but lately, I am admiring his intelligence and vision. I think Obama would not be a match though he would have the flair. Flair and showmanship is not going to save our country.

December 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • philo

Freddie, neither will flowery words from anyone's mouth or idealistic concepts that someone can articulate flawlessly. To be sure everyone seems to think that a debate is like a prepared speech and that is what Newt can do best...but when challenged real-time with point-counterpoint then he gets frustrated, angry, defensive and abrasive...wow can't you just see that on the world stage when there is an alternative and viable different opinion...

My take is that Obama would win the debate as he is more dynamic and versatile and you can see this as he is has been craftily dealing with the GOP opposition on just about every "NO" on every issue.

December 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
      • Duane R. Olson

philo's remark that he likes NEWT'S intelligence is tantamount to saying he thinks the wicked witch is attractive! Not to worry though, with the clowns offered up by the TEA PARTY assures Obama of a second term. I'm ashamed to be called a Democrat, but I refuse to be called a Republican! As Americans, we've got to work shoulder to shoulder and throw them all out to get our flag back and then, "WE" can start to pick on one another again! What ever happened to voting FOR someone instead of AGAINST someone?

December 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Deej59

Freddie, I'd urge you to do many searches on Google or Bing to find the facts on things Gingrich did that are unethical and unconscionable. Please don't trust blogs from the right OR the left. These are the fringes, and they're getting us all caught up in their hysteria. I'm guilt as sin of that. Just look for credible sources (and, for purposes of this discussion, let's stipulate that "credible sources" means mainstream publications that have to worry about being sued for libel), then throw out FOX on the right and your choice on the left. Now really read it. Is this a man you'd even trust to be dog catcher? I don't think you'll support him once you refresh your memory about his past.

December 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  21. ray

Wolf, he may have the fire but he also has more baggage than American Airlines, has 0 leadership ability and has already failed once at the national level. An elitist intellectual like the one we have now. Maybe the fire can be used to burn some bridges and a candidacy.

December 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  22. Cheers

Great, Mr ethic violations himself, Boo Hoo for GOP isf that's the best they have to offer. Sad

December 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  23. Leigh

If Gingrich runs and wins, I am leaving this kookified country forever.

December 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  24. McShannon

The only Republican that could win my vote would be someone with the ability of a Tom Brokaw. I know he’s not interested. Well who then, if there was just somebody that had moral fiber but there is no one? You’re dreaming to think Newt could beat President Obama. First of all he’ll be torn to shreds in first action. There is so much to throw at him even Herman Cain will wince at his pain.

December 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  25. Pris

I cringe at the thought of a President Gingrich.

December 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  26. Marc Daniels

Within each of us citizens is a burning desire to connect with the American Dream, the same one that our forefathers hat in mind as they conceived as they drafted the Consittution, the same one that Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke of as he dared to "Dream" on the steps of the Washington Memorial 48 years ago. What distinguishes a pipedream from the American Dream is how well it is rooted. The American Dream demands of us more more than hope alone. Like a germinating sunflower in a flowerbed, it requires, proper tilling of the soil. Our national desire for rooting out our inner weeds must be awakened and acted upon. Self scruteny and not finger pointing is the answer. Deeply embedded with Newt Gingrich, is the burning desire to rise above his own flaws, and to inspire Americans to tap our own respected roots as deeps as their go. We are Christians, we are Jews, we are Moslems–all of us with a unique root structure, that will entually re-united at the social. Social inclusion does not mean tolerating complacency. Social inclusion means rooting our negativities, in order to discover our common thread. Mr. Gingrich, let's weed out hate, and sow the seeds of respect in each other!

December 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  27. Emperor Norton

For those of us who lived through the 1990s and know you mostly as an ethical black hole and moral vacuum, devoid of ideas, bereft of use, what in the name of all things holy made you think we'd forget about that long enough to vote for you? We remember you, Newt, the family-values conservative with a habit of serial adultery, the spoiled child who created governmental gridlock and shutdown.

You will never be President. Look smug all you like; spend as much money as you want; give high-minded speeches until you go hoarse and silent. In a Presidential contest between you and a broken toaster, I'd send it to the White House in a hot second.

December 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  28. Michael L. Vanna

Ask Newt Gingrich why he shouldn't have brought up on "Not filing as a ;obbyist" in Georgia when he was lobbying for the Pharmaceutical industry and pushed for legislation to pass a bill that would have furthured his clients "Bottom line'?

December 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  29. descarado

Let's only hope that Obama agrees to Newt's suggestion of 7 debates WITHOUT a moderator. He even said Obama could bring his teleprompters!

December 6, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  30. cecilia

and the fire is going to overcome his lack of moral fiber, his ignorance, his lying, and his down right hatefulness
    I dont think so

December 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  31. Jimmy

I only have one vote and it will go for Newt. or who ever the Republican candiate is against Obama.We cannot allow Obama to have four more years in Washington.He is even worse than Jimmy Carter and Jimmy Carter was terrible.

December 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  32. Griff

"I still believe they can win, if they work together. They need to plan well ahead as a team, and stay on track with no backbiting."

December 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  33. Reddy

will end up as a failure. Too much bad baggage.

December 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  34. Randall Rodd

What a disgrace Newt would be for president. Don't people realize that the US president is the "face of America" and this arrogant, fat man would not be the face we want out there. He is mean spirited and has the manners of a Georgia hog farmer. With him next to Trump I was reminded of the old TV show, Jake and the Fat Man...Yuck!! I do hope he is the GOP candidate though, next to Obama...an easy choice.

December 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  35. Jim Thomas

He talks a good story but Bachman with a good running mat is what we need.In other words obama,turn out the lights,the party is over for you and your bunch of idiots.Jim Thomas Phx,Az.

December 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  36. Joe

He might have the fire, but he's blowing a lot of smoke.

December 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  37. David, CA

But not the ethics, the know how, or the common sense. GWB had "the fire". Look where THAT got us.

December 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  38. Harry Wortz

Too much baggage for the religious right to ever consider voting for him unless they are all hypocrites. How could they square their religious convictions with voting for an adulterer?

December 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  39. Obamajoe

Mitt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,please,,,,,,,,,

December 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  40. Pimpson

Newt's a beast! He's gonna slaughter Obama.

December 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  41. Dave

Wow, CNN is at it again. Look at how obvious they are by trying to sell Newt so Barry can get a second term. Sorry, I see through this one. Barry and Newt Grinderswitch are both globalist stooges. Hope everyone else can see the two party scam being run as usual.

December 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  42. John

A man with 90 eithics violations, a man that had to resign from congress after being found guilty of corruption, a man that has cheated on multiple wives multiple times, and people consider him presidential material.? What is happening to this country?

December 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  43. Howard

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Americans don't elect congressmen (or women) to the Presidency of the United States. Check the historical record for the past century. They elect sitting and former U.S. senators and governors, and the occasional victorious general. They require proof that the candidate is capable of winning the votes of a more diverse electorate than you'll find in most single congressional districts.

December 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  44. Ken

If Gingrich gets the nomination, Obama gets another term. I believe that it is that simple and you can take that from an Independent. Also, if Gingrich gets that nomination, the part within the Republican Party called the Christian Coalition needs to abandon ship. I don't think that Georgre Bush was really a bad man, he just had bad judgement. However, that inhuman he called a vice president is about the biggest crook with no morals to hold an office that important in the Executive Branch. At least, that is in my lifetime. However, if Gingrich gets that nomination and somehow wins the Presidential election, this country will have sunk to an all-time low. Gingrich may consider himself an intellectual but I consider him to be a real piece of flawed, sub-human material with a quick wit used to make others uncomfortable. He should have been smothered at birth.

December 6, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  45. Stan

Just a GOP figure head as usual. He'll continue the wars and said openly he'll EXPAND the patriot act... all under the guise of "OMG TERRORISM". If you fools vote in another idiot like this, you get what you deserve.

December 6, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  46. MICKY

I don't care which candidate get the nomination! NONE of them is worth the effort! Sure looks like we could have gotten some better candidates!

December 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  47. Tough USA

Newt has the gift of talking eloquently while really not addressing hard core concerns for the American people. I do not understand how they derailed the Cain train on accusing and not found guilty yet, while Newt has committed Adultry, Accepted payoffs from Fannie, Paid heavy fines for ethics code violations. Where do the AMERICAN people really stand when it comes Family Values, Simple Morals and outright lying, cheating and stealing?. Obama talked the same game in 2008 and I like an idiot voted for him. None of us are perfect but the president should be pretty close to perfect. I will vote for RON PAUL 2012 !!! based on integrity, unwavering stand on the fed, military, and debt.......

December 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  48. Satberry

This is crazy .How low will they take the republican party.

December 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  49. 1crusader

Gingrich raises interesting thoughts for discussion ( although I don't agree with him about many things), but he is undisciplined; and doesn't have the right skill set ,nor temperament, to be president.

December 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  50. Mike

But where's the beef? Where does he stand on the issues? How does he make his illegel immigrant idea work? Will he compromise? For having beeb around so long, he's an empty slate.

December 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  51. tyson

Gingrich is a flip flopper. Newt clearly thinks he is the smartest person in the room where ever he goes. Too bad it's rarely if ever true. This guy needs to just drop out of the race. I want to see Paul and Romney battle it out for the nomination. Gingrich is NO conservative by any means. He just believes republicans can run a big government better than the dems.

December 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  52. Phil in KC

I'm still dumbfounded that he is doing so well. How does his history of 3 marriages, adultery, ethics violations and hypocrisy fit with the 'values' party?

December 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  53. Beverly NC

The only fire in Newt is the hate and disdain he shows for the PEOPLE of our country. He thinks poor children are so worthless they should not get an education but be used as janitors at their schools! He thinks no one in public housing works?? Actually Newt 3/4 of public housing residents work but there are not liveable wage jobs anymore thanks to you and Bush. Poor is a situation – not a character flaw. Most poor people are of better character and integrity than you Newt. Shame on you for being so dismissive and arrogant towards those less fortunate. And you are a "Christian"???

December 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  54. Rich

Wolf it is sad that Gingrich and Romney are the best the republicans have to offer. Both have their share of baggage and one only needs to look at their past to see what is to become of their future.

Gingrich is more of the same. He has had his own share of affairs while speaker and for some reason he is getting a pass on that while Cain was beaten out of the campaign for the exact same thing. I guess it is a double standard. What people seem to forget is that if a man will cheat on his wife and have an affair and lie to his closest confidant for his own sexual desires then he will do the same thing to the American people in the blink of an eye. You can not be the leader of the free world and a liar effectively. They are not compatible attributes.

Romney talks out of both sides of his mouth and it depends on who he is being interviewed by that day as to his position on issues. He is far more then a flip flopper. He is a flim flam man. He wants to be all things to all people. He compromises his own integrity to attempt to please the masses and he is not being honest to the one person it should mater most. That is himself. If he can not be true to himself then he is not presidential material either.

December 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  55. Greg, Ontario

To many skeletons in the closet for a presidential run but what do you think about Newt as a VP. Him and Mitt might be just the right combination to make President Obama do more than yawn at them.

December 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  56. linell ela, Winter Park, FL

The saying "where there is smoke there is fire," comes to mind. Gingrich's hubris is surpassed by none.

December 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  57. Jack

of course he has the fire! when he stepped out onto the national stage this year to sell his books and other garbage, never in his wildest dreams could he have imagined that there would actually be a window of opportunity for him to actually secure the nomination! And the idiotic GOP are actually giving this proven scumbag a shot! Good luck with that.

December 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm |