Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

BLITZER’S BLOG: My impressions of President Obama
August 17th, 2011

BLITZER’S BLOG: My impressions of President Obama

(CNN) - Like every president before him, Barack Obama has aged dramatically since taking office. It comes with the territory.

I’m back in Washington after three days in Iowa, including time with the president. We had an in-depth, on-camera interview. We also had a chance to chat off-camera. Let me share my impressions.

When we met Tuesday in Peosta, Iowa, I recalled sitting down with him at the Democratic Convention in Boston in 2004 when he gave the keynote address and at one of his final campaign rallies in Des Moines, Iowa, at the end of October 2008, only days before his election. I told the president I would post pictures of him in 2004, 2008 and now - so that everyone could get a flavor of how he’s aged.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with President Barack Obama

“Some people,” he told me, “some old friends who I have been seeing around here, have reminded me that when I was a young senator traveling through Iowa that I looked a little younger than I do now.”

That is certainly true. He recently turned 50.

He seems a bit slimmer, too, even though he likes to eat - including burgers, fries and other less than perfectly healthy meals. White House staffers tell me he does exercise every day, usually while he watches sports. It’s his opportunity to break away - even briefly - from the responsibilities and pressures of the job.

After the interview, many people asked me if he seemed nervous, tense or worried about getting re-elected.

The answer is no. He seemed quite confident that he would be re-elected. In fact, he flatly predicted he will be re-elected.

He said he loves being president. “It’s the greatest job on Earth,” he said.

The only time he really got emotional was when I asked him to tell me the worst part of his job.

“The worst part is when you are talking to a family member of a fallen soldier and you are hugging them. On the one hand, you hope that you’re making them feel a little bit better. At the same time, you are reminded of the incredible sacrifices that people are making for our country. And then, when you see sometimes our politics not living up to that level of commitment and patriotism that we see from our troops - that gets a little bit of frustration.”

He added, “For a mother or a father who’ve lost a loved one, that’s always the toughest thing about the job.”

One final note: Even though he largely took the high road in avoiding too much criticism of his potential GOP challengers, I got the sense that would certainly change once the Republicans firmed up their nominee and the 2012 race for the White House really gets going.

WATCH: Wolf Blitzer's interview with President Obama

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Jim

Evidently you have never served in uniform, much like your president. Captain after 5 years is where an officer is expected to be in rank, a person normally will make Major around 10-12 years of service. As for the Commander-in-Chief you better ask the troops before you start stating their opinions. All the soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines I have talked to have stated "NO" when asked if will vote for Obama.

August 17, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • Jess C

And I know many in the military (both family, friends, daughters and sons of colleagues) who are 100% behind Obama, so what's your point?

August 17, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
  2. Cyndy

It is quite disturbing to read such unproductive banter. People the Country needs a positive action approach. You all run households many with family. Bring your knowledge to the conference table. We currently have One President . The leader whether you agree with him or not. It's time for a call to positive action. I like the strength, poise, along with concern that radiates from the President Obama. He was given a dry bucket to pour out relief to Americans. He delivered the Auto Makers out of the hands of closure, he took a bold stance didn't bat an eye , sought and procured Osama Bin Ladin, he cared enough to bring the shut out to the healthcare arena all in the face of torrential hatred. The mentality of some is to destroy the Nation in a bitter battle to the White House. It behooves us all to work to find answers to restore and revive the Country. We only occupy this time that we are in by grace , and mercy. Tomorrow is not promised make the best of each day. It will do you mind , body and soul some good while you are yet among the living. Don't leave a legacy of Hate and Bitterness for your children they'll drown in your valley of hatred. "Look up to the hills from whence cometh your health" pray for the Nation. You see it everyday we have lost our way with appalling deeds but yet we have our knees to pray us into harmony .

August 17, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • Anne

Cyndy, thank you for your comments. I am distraught by all the hatred and disrespect for our President. Thank you for reminding us that something positive has a greater likelyhood of succeeding. Wishing someone to fail because you don't like them is a sad, sad commentary on what our society is becoming.

August 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • Dave

Cyndy, by what right do you feel that you qualify to speak for this country? Have you served even one day in the Military, Peace Corps, civil service, or anything else to deserve that right or are you going to hang your hat on the fact you were born here as the right? Honey, grow up and get an education before you mouth off and make yourself into an idiot in front of the whole world.

August 17, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
      • Chad

Dave,
        Cindy comes off as very educated, you come off as angry and bitter (you must be a rethuglican!) She has every right to speak her mind. Serving in the military does not make someone an authority in political banter! By the way, most republicans were against women serving in the military.

August 18, 2011 at 9:10 am |
  3. EBF

The media is and always has been behind Obama. They criticize everyone else, except for him.

August 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • Dave

Notice how the media is controlled by this administration. They are told what and when they can say it or they will lose their links to the White House or even at worst case their operating licenses through the FCC.

August 17, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  4. jake

This is some of the sappiest stuff I have heard every President of my life say. This is news. I hate talking to parents of fallen soldiers. Oh, how I have aged. Look at a construction worher or office scrivener trying to pay their bills over the last seven year stretch and you'll see they age. The Presidency is not a popularity contest or whom we wnat to love or hate. Its a hard job for a fierce negotiator, someone who knows how to compromise, and someone that doesn't use his office to spend trillions of tax payers dollars inefficiently so he can be seen as a good man. A man for the people. The Presidency is an office, not a person. Shure he likes it, all of his types like power, but he hads not harnessed or used that power effectively irregardless of Bush, or GOP, or Big Oil, or the Big Bad Corporate Big wigs, or boogeyman. THis is also a piece that is Blitzer's power horn. Look at me. How many times I've set down next to Obama. Yes, you sat down and patted his knee and tooted his horn so you would be invited back next time to pat his knee and hoot his horn. Obama will survive the Presidency and come away fulfilled and wealthy. Millions of Americans will not survive him, but will come away more poor and cheated because he was not up to the job by experience or emotionally. I hope him the best and hope to see anyone take his place next year

August 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • Jess C

Curious, did you hate Bush as much for starting two unfunded wars? I believe Obama voted against them. Did you hate Bush for all the job loss (like 700,000/month near the end of '08)? Or, is Obama your only target because he's had a couple years and total resistance from the GOP to turn the mess around? If so, you're best off where only one opinion is welcome....Fox Noise.

August 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
  5. marty in MA

Just accept what Wolf said. No comment you make is going to change a Democrat into a Republican or visa versa. Don't you all know that yet???? The opposite party ISN'T the enemy, just the other party.
    Partisan politics just is ignornace most of the time.

August 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  6. TheSpectator

With their Policies i can GUARANTEE if we get another republican president were are scr3wd.

August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  7. chris

i get a kick out of liberals posting they are republicans and plan to vote Obama. signs of desperation.

August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • Aaron

I get a kick out of people relying on social security and medicare, screaming they're Republicans, and the government must stop supporting people. So, did you your check this month? LOL

August 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
  8. Ron

Mr. Blitzer, why did you not follow-up with President Obama, when he blamed the fall of the "grand deal" with Boehner, on the Tea Party, when it was also widely reported that the most liberal part of the Democrat party would not allow cuts in entitlements (medicare, social security, etc.), as Obama proposed in his 4 trillion in cuts. Obama's claim is just political blame and not factual. It was clear, that if the "grand deal" was a bill, up for a vote, the Senate Democrats would not have passed it, so both parties are to blame, if there is any blame. The President knows that, but he is playing politics with the serious problem of debt. This is why he never put his proposal in writing for the country to see, because he knew his own party would be critical and not support his "plan", just as his budget proposal got voted down without one single supportive vote from either party.

August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  9. don'task

I read the comments here and compare them to other stories and can't believe the difference. Other stories have the comments running 5 to 1 against Obama and here they're 5 to1 for Obama. I guess having moderators screening the comments makes a big difference.

August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • jake

Oh Yes. They sceen and twist and tuen. Remember news reporters like college professors are the liberal of the liberal and love to play a slant on people. That's okay it is noticed and paid back at the polls.

August 17, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
  10. bob

Obama has to go? When will george bush stopped being blamed for Nobamas lack of everything....only way he got in was because of his acorn buddies....wake up America, he has done nothing for this country.

August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  11. becky

uur President is incredible. He has had to deal with more obstruction than any President in recent history. Has anybody every heard the old adage – It's hard to fly with eagles when you have to muck around with these negative folks who only want to stop progress on virtually all levels.....Thank you Mr. Blitzer.

August 17, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Nucks

Guess his first two years when he had the majority dems in the House and the Senate he played Golf now that the house is under the rep. he wants to claim he is working so he blames the Republicans and few fall for the old addage.....a bad carpenter will always blame his tools.....

August 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • Jim

George Bush had the same problem with a democratic congress and liberal media. So have a nice day.

August 17, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • Dave

Really? Kennedy, Cuban Missle Crisis, Johnson Viet Nam War, Carter Iran and rescue ops, Bush Sr, Iraq's attack on a sovereign nation, Clinton redefined sex, Bush Jr an attack on American soil with loss of life greater than Pearl Harbon on 12/7/1941. What has Obama done to out do any of those, oh ya, bow to the King of Saudi Arabia.

August 17, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  12. LLinmobileAl

Accomplishments my big ole butt

August 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • TheSpectator

What Hipporcacy! Republicans are 100% responcible for Americas Troubles! You sent Jobs Overseas with YOUR TRADE AGREEMENTS under Clinton, You created Three wars Under Bush AND SOLD OUT AMERICANS to the drug companies under Medicare part D, And you gave Trillions in tax cuts to Billionaires while cutting cops teacher and pell grants. The republican party has never done a SINGLE good thing for America and from Slavery To The Economic collaps and gay marrage you are alway in the wrong!
      -this is a repost

August 17, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
      • Your Name Here

Uh.....the Republicans freed the slaves. The Democrats were the proslavery group during the civil war.

August 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  13. becky

Our President is an incredible, caring man. He is doing his best to clean up a BIG MESS. It's going to take at least as long as it took to get into it. He has the country's values at heart. Thank you, Mr. Blitzer for your interview.

August 17, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
    • jake

And my name is Dorthy and I live in a magical land called Oz. And I like Oz, he's smart, a snappy dresser and talks real pretty. THis is why I voted for him. I did not like the wrinkly old white man that didn't talk real pretty. I voted for the best physically fit and emotionally pleasing person and I like my choice. There is no need to vote for someone qualified for the Presidency. We know they have more smart people to run the real show. THis is all a show isn't it. WHere's Toto. Aunty Em? I'm not in Kansas anymore?

August 17, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  14. Garavaglia

Wolf wants to be Obama's bunk mate in Oz. He has no credibility.

August 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  15. C.E.H.

Very good interview. I appreciate good questions designed to learn and inform. You do this regularly and quite well. Keep it up, it is refreshing.
    I have never been ashamed to say I am from Texas untill George Bush hit the scene. Now I have Rick Perry to contend with. These good Christian men seem to overlook the commandment that says "Thou shalt not bear false witness". I remind my neighbors being Christian does not require being stupid. There is however some example of being compassionate and working for the good of all not just the few. They forget the lesson of Jesus and the money lenders.

August 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • jake

And since you are such a good Christian I'm sure that you support Obama's position on abortion and his hallmark Presidential work on DADT and overturning DOMA. Yes, you are a good Christian. You HATE Bush. Therefore, you HATE Perry already, but you are okay on the current climate. A good Christian votes consistently on moral issues that are Huge and does not try to highlight anothers flaws. But you HATE Bush and are okay on Abortion, DADT, and overturning DOMA because yu support a President that supports this. Yes, you are a good Christian and Perry i definately not and you hate Bush and are thus ashamed of Texas. I suggest a move to Californication?

August 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
  16. Dakota

I wish someone would put Reince Priebus in his place. This man is a triple-A prime choice nut job. What a moron. I certainly hope people aren't buying what this moron is selling. As a former Republican, I find this man to be a disgrace.

August 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • CTE

Spoken like a true former republican.

August 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
  17. us1776

Never in the history of the country has a president had to face such huge challenges while doing so in the face of such a hurricane of obstructionism.

The GOP is at war with itself and part of that war has translated into all the obstructionism that we see going on in the Congress by tea party faction.

August 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • fryguy34167

Never in history? are you insane or just uneducated? Lincoln? Roosevelt? Adams? Try reading a book instead of Democratic talking points.... And if the GOP is the reason Barry cant get anything done, what about his first 2 years in office??? Nice try. When I read comments by people such as you I think we should restrict the right to vote to those who can actually pass a citizenship test.

August 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
      • Your Name Here

Uh, fryguy, they don't want to talk about Barry's first two years in office with a democratic congress. They also don't want to talk about Barry spending as much money in one term in office as GWB did in two terms. You can call that selective memory. Dems seem to have a terminal case of it.

August 17, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • Franky

The GOP is at war with Obama, and this has been their strategy since day 1. When they realized people are starting to see their ideas for what they are, non-sense, that lead to massive debt and deficit. The only thing they could think to do was ruin Obama's presidency, if that meant ruining the nation, so be it ... because in their mind they would have prevented the ruining of the nation ... talk about oxi-moronic thinking.

Since when did the other side deal in rationality.

Obama, look ... Boehner, I'm giving your $4 trillion in cuts here, MM and SS, ok,I agree we got to do some thing, let's get this done. Yeah, I know I'm not raising tax rates, but all those loop holes we talked about closing for last 30 years, let's get that knocked out, as well.

Boehner, "You mean you are going to give me what I want?"

Obama, "Yeah, let's do what's right for this country".

Boehner, "Wait, wait, we can't do the right thing, you'll win again, we can't do that ... "

Obama, "But, I'm giving what you want, and look this deal actually makes a dent in the deficit and debt"

Boehner flips over the table, and yells, "Nobama, I refuse to be the man that does the right thing by this country, my party will hate me"

Obama, "You are being irrational and so is your party"

Boehner, "I don't care, we need to have a disaster!!!! Don't you see that Obama"

Boehner leaves room, Obama, just shakes his head, wishes his name was Reagan and he was several shades lighter.......

August 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
      • Dave

I guess that is why the agreed upon Cap and Trade which passed the house failed in that Obozo said he would cooperate with it by vetoing it. It would have stopped the crazyness of spending and start a balance act but no, Obama, Palosi, Clinton, Reid, Frank, Boxer and the rest of the militant Democrats were against stoping the outflow of money, after all they had more checks left in the checkbook to write. Doesn't matter that the account is overdrawn, who balances it anyway? "Spend Spend Spend. after all it's not our money," say they all.

August 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • Randall

Yeah, he's getting obstructed by the candidates that people elected to obstruct him. He wouldn't have any obstruction if he hadn't tried to implement his radical agenda. America spoke, and she wants this guy obstructed.

August 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
      • Franky

What Radical agenda, can you quantify, this radical agenda?

Let's see,

tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts ... that was real radical of him. OH wait, did I mention Obama has the largest tax cut in history, PS. Reagan had the largest tax increase in history, and still does.

healthcare mandate, contrary to popular belief, that's actually a republican idea also, and they wanted even stiffer penalties.

Offered cuts to MM and SS, to deal with the things that are causing our debt and deficit , yup, that was a real radical agenda.

I could only wish that Obama had actually tried to be radical, atleast, then I could understand "you people". Your hate, is your hate, it has nothing to do with his policies, because, his policies, have been ironically center or right.

August 17, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • Menos

Spare us the drama and pick up an American History book. While Obama faces significant challenges, the notion that they're somehow greater than any other in the history of America is ludicrous and ignorant. Our Revolution was a tad challenging. The Civil War was no picnic. Back to back World Wars and a Great Depression weren't a walk in the park. Navigating the Cold War and the battle for civil rights, etc., all were pretty heavy challenges for our country and leadership to face. You need to replace your Obama colored glasses before you go completely blind.

August 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
      • Your Name Here

Completely blind or completely insane.

August 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  18. Chuck

When it's all said and done, Obama was and is the "right man for the job".

August 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • CTE

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

August 17, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  19. Aaron

President Obama will be re-elected in 2012. He has been cleaning up the mess the previous incompetent leader left him. The republicans in congress do nothing except saying NO...president Obama wants to tackle the country's problems, but rebulblicans became a destruction and they are there to make him look bad by any means necessary.

August 17, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Jim

Just like the democratic congress did for George Bush. It is now your turn for the rewards. There is no way that this man will be reelected. He is the new Jimmy Carter with an approval rating that is going down daily.

August 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
      • Your Name Here

I read something the other day that said, 'Somewhere in Georgia, Jimmy Carter is saying "who's the worst president now, jerk!" '

August 17, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
    • Nucks

What did he do when he had the majority of the House and the Senate....for the first two years...

August 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • Chewy

Rubbish Aaron. Name one thing he "cleaned up"? He's done NOTHING and the hacks even gave him a Nobel Prize for doing it!

Then again, maybe I’m being a little tough on Barry. He did DO a few things.Such as:
      He used the pathetic reference of "acted stupidly" to the law enforcement officers were simply doing their job responding to a man trying to force his way into a building who wouldn't identify himself or act rationally. Then his answer is the totally offensive "beer summit" without any apology for his own stupid comments.
      He increased the deficit by double the amount of his predecessor’s eight year tenure in only his first 30 months.
      He has proposed to double the current debt within 10 years, he has spent nearly a trillion dollars in stimulus and guaranteed unemployment would not exceed 8% (whoops!).
      He criticized a state law that he admitted to never even reading.
      He passed an unconstitutional law that would have comprised of nearly 1/6th of the country’s entire GDP, forced Americans to purchase a private product (in violation of the commerce clause).
      He joined the country of Mexico and sued a state in America to force that state to continue to allow illegal immigration.
      He made a joke at the expense of the Special Olympics. How nice.
      He gave Gordon Brown a set of inexpensive and incorrectly formatted DVDs and the 80-something Queen of England an iPod (I wonder if she’s MAC or PC. I’ll have to friend her on Facebook).
      He bowed to Kings of third world countries while on what turned out to be an embarrassing apologetic tour.
      He visited Austria and made reference to the nonexistent “Austrian language”.
      He filled his cabinet and circle of advisers with people who don’t pay their own income taxes.
      He waited 72 days after an environmental disaster to accept help from other countries.
      He wasted lots of time and money lobbying for a Chicago Olympics.
      Even with unemployment at +10% he tells us how he has "saved" or created jobs (nice word spin).
      He surrounded himself with the likes of Biden, Pelosi, Holder, Reid, Frank, etc. and tells us we're in good hands.
      He initiated a Gitmo fiasco where his first official act is to order the close of Gitmo and make sure the terrorists "civil rights" are not violated.
      He promoted the idea to prosecute the Gitmo terrorists, who are enemy combatants in a criminal court and give them a stage to perform on.
      He failed to admit his long term relationship with the bigot Jeremiah Wright even though he was a member of his church and took the "Audacity of Hope" mantra from Wright himself.
      He made multiple appointments of former lobbyists after an absolute campaign promise that no lobbyists would be appointed
      He SUPPORTED without condition, the building of a mosque at ground zero where over 3,000 were murdered by Islamic fundamentalists.
      Is that enough or do you want more? Yeah, that Hopey-Changey stuff is working out just great. Putting Obama in office is clearly a huge mistake and regardless of what the Liberal media would have you believe, this Emperor has no clothes.

August 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
      • Your Name Here

Now Chewy, the dems don't want to hear about facts. They just want to believe all the political rhetoric and BS coming from their Messiah. After all, the man was awarded a Nobel Prize (I honestly thought it was a joke when I first heard about it)!

August 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
  20. Joshua Vossler

Why does voting always feel like choosing the lesser of two evils?
    Thanks for your show, keep up the good work.

August 17, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • june

If you feel that way Joshua, just know that President Obama is the much, much, much lesser of the evil

August 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • TheSpectator

to be honnest it is, and i think every voter who knows what it takes to run a country knows this. there are always gonna be things we dont agree with, and since the founding of the country things that would be considered "morally" or "ethically" wrong have been done in the name of Patriotism. its all about moving forward, and keeping ourselves afloat

August 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  21. Jerry

Wolfie, one more item. Thanks for your tips. Now, all you need to do is put them into practice yourself. Or, does objectivity in reporting is not intended for you and the Castro Network News (CNN)?

August 17, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  22. me

"not all Conservatives are Stupid, but most stupid people are Conservatives" -John Stuart Mill

August 17, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Your Name Here

Wow! You can pick some great people to quote! (sarcasm)

August 17, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • ricinsac

... to understand the principles and core of democracy ... everyone should take a moment to read "On Liberty" – a great force on doing no harm and protecting us from tyranny – The tyranny of the Republicans who mostly support Jim Crow, are anti-gay homophobes, and whose platform is their myopic comments on God – Guns and Gays. The tea baggers simply lack compassion for their common man. After reading their rants here and elsewhere, one can only wonder at what would Jesus do in the mist of so much hatred.

August 18, 2011 at 12:37 am |
  23. Dan

A community organizer is a great early stepping stone in becoming the President of the United States. Community organizers are the first line in helping build and a maintain community groups, the fabric that makes our country great. This type of job is especially beneficial to Mr. Obama's position because it has given him perspective on the lives of American citizens, not the rich, disconnected, suburbanized Americans who make up a small percentage of the 300,000,000 that make up our great country, but the vast majority of those hard working middle class, and under served in our country.

Calling Mr. Obama an idiot accomplishes nothing and is both ignorant and immature. Having said that, I agree that he does hold himself to a higher level of poise than most of our angry stone-faced politicians.

@Reload @HR: Let's remember that we have had wealthy tax cuts and loop holes for the last decade and our jobs figures have NOT improved as the GOP has promised and yet they still hold by that statement. Wealthy tax cuts do not create jobs, it creates a savings investment with the rich and corporations that by no means creates jobs. Granted the potential is there but during hard economic times companies and people sit on their money ie: save it. Capital investment (yes government spending at all levels) creates jobs because it is a direct investment in our community. Again, the AA+ rating does not really have much to do with the President. Congress must approve the ceiling increase; a move that should never be tied to any spending bill nor should it ever be politicized. In fact, Congress was so inept to act that their back-up plan was to give the President the ultimate decision so as to avoid any personal political backlash. Again, our rating was lowered for the same reason your personal credit rating would be lowered: You never tell your creditors that you aren't going to pay the bill.

@Tom: I certainly hope that is sarcasm because, if not, you are clearly, CLEARLY misunderstanding the following terms: 'Leftist", "Virulent", "Militant", "Hardline", "Fundamentalist", "Extremist", "Lobbyist", "Clueless" and also misunderstanding the origin of the word "Castro".

From a middle of the road point of view, I predict a landslide victory for Mr. Obama in this next election. Perhaps a victory by a greater margin than his first.

August 17, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • Franky

I don't think Obama ran as a community organizor, I believe he ran as a sitting senator, and previously was a sitting senator in Illinois. I mean maybe if he ran 30 years ago, when he was a community organizor and became president, then yes, your comment would make since, but since, he had what a whole nother 25 years of life, in between the time he was a community organizor and when he became president then your comments make no sense.

August 17, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
      • Jim

I do believe that he has served longer as President that as a setting Senator. Plus check his voting record, how many times was he absent? So was he really a setting Senator?

August 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  24. Name*nabeel

He is better president then George bush was and all the Republican put together.

August 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  25. me

Obama 2012. I mean, who else is an intelligent person gonna vote for? Perry (GWB incarnate)? Romney (Prostitute to big Biz)? Bachman (psycho)? Paul (comic book character)? Obama is literally the ONLY choice for a reasonably intelligent and rational person.

August 17, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Franky

Since when did the other side deal in rationality.

Boehner, "You mean you are going to give me what I want?"

Obama, "Yeah, let's do what's right for this country".

Obama, "You are being irrational and so is your party"

August 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
    • Your Name Here

Well me, you know the old saying. There's nothing wrong with "me" it's everyone else that's screwed up. You're the antithesis of intelligent.

August 17, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
  26. Brandon

The fact that Rick Perry would have the audacity to insult the Commander-In-Chief by saying, "the troops prefer a president who's worn the uniform" is disrespectful. Come on. Rick Perry served five years in the Air Force and only reached the rank of Captain. As Commander-In-Chief for almost four years, It would be highly misinformed of Gov. Perry to imply that President Obama is less experienced than him when comes to the day-to-day operations of the U.S Military.

August 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Your Name Here

You're kidding right? Five years and "only" a captain? What is he supposed to be in five years, a Lieutenant General?

August 17, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
  27. CTE

Didn't Perry kill a wolf on a jog one day. Oh, that's right, it was a coyote.

August 17, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  28. Dave

But of course he will revert to the Dirty Political Tricks (DPT) from his political life in Chicago. It is what he learned to claw his way up the political ladder. One would think that the POTUS would be above all that but sadly I doubt it will happen in his case. He has done nothing for Joe the plumber but make life harder, has casued massive inflation, put us in another war, caused the down graded the US credit rating, cannot bring Congress together, still is the slacky for Palosi and the Demcratic Party instead of being a representative of the American People, will not take control of ILLEGAL immigration, violates the Constitution of the USA, makes and signs bills without ever reading them, spends money like it is water on trickets for the White House, allows his unelected wife to have a staff of over a hundred (no previous First Lady had a staff over 3) and takes more vacations than any public employee has ever taken with the normal 2 weeks up to fifteen years and 3 weeks after. Hi s approval rating is down to 50% overall and only 37% in rural areas. Ya, he will be reelected in his dreams

August 17, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
    • Neon

Yeah Dave, I agree.. GWB was a horrible president for doing all those things.

August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
      • Jim

Keep dreaming and avoiding the truth. Obama will not be reelected and no he is not better than anybody. He had a democratic congress for two years and what did we get? A bunch of money spent on Wall Street and bailing Detroit out. Plus a healthcare package that nobody wants.

August 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • roger

Dave

Inflation is NOT in any way shape or form high.
      Obama did not start any wars. do I wish he would get out of Afganistan and Iraq, yes. do I wish he would pul the Us out of the NATO action in Lybia....maybe
      At least he TRIED a balaced budget cutting bill (and was shot down by the Republicans who refuse to compromise)

Do some homework and stop reading talking points on conservative blogs before you post.

August 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
      • Dave

Cap and Trade was approved at the house level and he said that he would veto it if it hit his desk. Great comprise.

August 17, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  29. Garyd2

Obama should just give the presidency to the low life republicans right now, they know how to get us into this mess we are in and the way they all run their mouths, they can get us out

August 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  30. chris

Wolf,
    I would really like it to be know that as a Service Member I do not appreciate Gov. Rick Perry and his comment. How dare he use my fellow service members and me as a political chip. We swore an oath to defend the people of this great country, and the elected President. I think that as a "so called veteran" he would understand that. We die for our country and the oath that we took. I would appreciate he Honor or beliefs, and failing to do that stop speaking for us!

Chris
    VA

August 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  31. Jerry

Wolfie, stop kissing President NObamas butt and start being an objective news person. You can accomplish that, can you Wolfie!?

August 17, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • me

let me guess...if he was anything BUT flatly negative regarding President Obama you would call him Liberal scum? Is that about right? Good for you? standing up for what you believe in without regard to intelligence, rationality, or common sense. good for you. You are the salt of the earth. A clear model American. Most rebublicans are.

August 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • TomPaine32

There is no contradiction in being objective and saying nice things about Obama. He is one of the most decent human beings we have had in the Oval Office. A lot of people who don't like him are either being non-objective or base their objectivity on the many lies and distortions that have been spread about him, mostly from the right.

August 17, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Franky

What is unobjective about Wolf's assessment? I gaurantee you are a GOP member, and I further gaurantee the only objectivity you see is the one where some one is ranting about Obama spending, despite, it's not his spending but spending the US is obligated to pay. (he's introduced no new spending except fro $353 billion in stimulus spending , of which $244 billion went to tax cuts, the remainder loans and cash for clunkers since taking office.) Also, rant about taxation, lathough, has lowered taxation to the lowest rates since the 1930's. Or ranting the government takes in too muh, despite, the fact taht at 14.8% of GDP, Obama's administration gets less money than any other PResident since 1950 of the nation, it's almost $600 bll less than Bush, who was 17% and Clinton nearly 18%. What's next, Wolf is a learned person, who at least understands the issues, Obama offers $4 trillion in cuts, $1 trillion in revenue, the $4 trillion being deeper than anyone else offered plus it included MM and SS on the table, but the GOP said, no, and then complains the president isn't offering a plan. Ironically, his was the only plan that would actually do some real damage to the debt, and it through the ideology of his party out the window, the GOP couldn't do the same about theirs. So, Objectivity, don't request it , ifyou can't give it. Thank You.

August 17, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • adam

amen...well, save for the nobama. i clicked the link expecting to find, you know, an actual article. not some blather about how the president looks. blitzer is a narcissistic doofus. did you catch his article when bin laden was killed? it was all about how he was called by the producer and how he raced to the office, and how he knew before it was announced that the emergency announcement was about bin laden.

i don't think blitzer would know independent news reporting if it bit him in the ...

August 17, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
      • Ian

let's not forget that this is Blitzer's blog and not an actual news article. it's even titled "My Impression..." which kind of tells you that it's an opinion and not an objective review on Obama's performance as a president. it's important to take note of these sorts of context clues. if you want to know about the actual interview the link is provided. besides, viewing the interview for yourself is the best way to get a fair perspective on what was said.

August 17, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • sheppard

look who's talking – you sound like one of those guys who advocate the only 'job' the Party of No has is to see that President Obama fails – even if it means bringing the country down also... You ever stop to realize that Blitzer knows the President a hellofalot better than you do? Go make yourself a nice cup of 'tea' and relax.....

August 17, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
      • Dennis

So I get to call you a traitor when President Perry is elected and you want HIS policies to fail.

August 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
      • Franky

Dennis, feel free to do so. But Obama hasn't actually implemented any liberal policies, which Is what I find ironic.

He's, let's see cut taxes ... cut taxes ... cut taxes ....

Oh, Obamacare, oh wait, wasn't the mandate a Republican idea from 1993, as Dole's plan, to counter Clintoncare??? We wanted a public option, oh wait ... we didn't get that one either.

Let's see I'm stretching here for a liberal policy ... oh the debt ceiling debate, all, cuts ... and no revenue ... which of course, no budget manager sees as a mathmatically possible way to balance the budget ... but I digress ...

Let me know when Obama starts implementing liberal policies, and then, you can actually wish him to fail.

August 17, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
  32. fela

I think President Obama's biggest problem is not doing a good job of promoting his accomplishments since being president. i can help remind everyone, free healthcare , Auto industries, banks, all report profits since bail-out, Osama B Laden is dead, no more Somalian pirates, wall street regulation, no more recession,we are actually adding jobs not losing them etc. Remind people more about your accomplishments and they will have more patience about your future plans for them.

August 17, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • CTE

Okay you can put the drink down now..

August 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Cheryl

Yeah. Like he could tell everyone how the monetary base has tripled under his watch and let them know what is in store down the road as a result.

August 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Dave

Free Healthcare? Someone else is just paying for it, the tax payers. Auto Industry bail out, totally unpresidented and illegal take over of the auto industry, only Chrysler and GM., not Ford or anyone else, my money going to over paid assembly line workers and executives who would not listen to reason. Why did we bail out the Banks, Insurance Companies, Wall Street, only becasue they are large campaign contributions and again the money came out of our pockets to keep the rich richer. The military took care of Osama not Obama, he was playing golf that day and was sprinted to the situation room for a photo op, he and nothing to do with it. What was he going to say, no don't shoot him and be labled a tratior? Smalian Pirates, since when did they go away, business as usual there. Wall Street bailout after THEY got greedy. they should have been allowed to flounder. I would much more prefered that all that money go to the citizens and not them. Why reward them for failure. I could have done a lot with my $500,000. Recession gone, better go outside and take a whiff of fresh air there as you are not living in the state of realilty, it is still here, gas is high priced, food is up, cost of living is still up and jobs are scarce and when found they are low paying. Housing prices are still down and the market is saturated with forecloseures. HOw much time does he need to do the job he has been doing for 3 years already? If he can do this much damage in 3 imagine what will do with 8!

August 17, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • reijojo

Free healthcare? Nothing about his healthcare plan is free.

August 17, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • To Fela

Fela, thanx. Obama has done a lot of great things but the Fuax and Republicans won't let it out. And then they turn anything good he's done to something negative. And the ignorant masses are listening. It is up to us to brag on his report card. And I think that Obama has good faith in the whole of the American People, believing the best of us see what has been happening and will ultimately vote for him again. I absolutely love our president.

August 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
      • Dave

Then I am afraid you are an uninfomred racial idiot.

August 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • egm11

what closet have you been hiding in? no more pirates in somalia? are you joking? obama hasnt done anything about that. accomplishments? what accomplishments, oh yeah the 4 trillion in debt, some accomplishment. the health care law that is a non starter, unconstitutional and will go down to the supreme court ruling just prior to the election in 2012. yeah some accomplishemnt, costing states millions for nothing. some accomplishment, good job barack. divide the country along class and race lines, some wonderful accomplishement, set back this country 20 yrs. good deal barack, you moron and followers like fela, great job, keep voting for this moron and we will not have a country left. some accomplishment, yes he can. yes he can ruin our nation in 4 years, totally destroy it in 8. a wonderful accomplishemnt. just remember, you go down with him along with all the rest of us, he can afford to leave and not look back.

August 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
      • Dave

That's right, after he leaves off office he will still receive his full pension and Secret Service, which by the way he and his wife openly dispise along with the military. When he went into office he was not rich by any means, but now only 3 years later he is a multimillionair, oh I forgot being an author of a book makes you a millioinair, ya right. Fully trained lier and Chicago Politition at it's worst. If he is reelected you will see our economy tank and many other American institutions collapse. We cannot afford all that Hope and Change. Ask youself, are you in better shape today then you were 4 or 5 years ago. Does a gas, food, heck even postage cost less? Not hardly. He has the ability to demand control of it but he doesn't. Congress gave the Fed, which by the way are the banks themselves, the responsibility to control the economy and inflation. They have failed. Has anyone looked at the cost of an ounce of gold? It is not that Gold is going up so far, it is that the dollar has fallen in value so far that it appears that way. Imagine being on the dollar elevator and gold/silver/platinum are floors. What happens when the dollar elevator hits the basement, it appears the precious metals that have held value for hundreds of years has gone up. Just wait if Obama is reelected it will take a wheel borrow full of worthless dollars to buy a loaf of bread. His thrust is to make you dependent on the US government to survive. He wants everyone to be equal, kind of like socialism, right? Never has worked and never will. Now the democrats want the guns of the citizens and have tried to think of ways to take them but keep bumping into the Constitiution and Bill of Rights. But they keep trying because when they do try the take over they are afraid the citizens will rise up in arms and take back the USA and make it as a proud nation that it was.

August 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Franky

It doesn't matter to the right, you don't understand, they have since day 1, ony wanted to tear this president down, and if it meant tearing down the nation to do it, they ae willing. He needs to run on look, the other side, is held up by extremist , who have no clue what they are talking about. Who were willing to throw this nation into another recession, simply, to get their way. That's what he needs to run on.

August 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
      • Dave

Between the Democratid Super Majority Congress and Obama they already put us in a recession, Bush did not help as he started it but these idiots put jet engines on it.

August 17, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • Good4U

Let me tell U what OB has done for Me. I lost my good paying job under his watch, I can not find a job becasue I do not speak Spanish under his watch. I lost my House and yes I could afford the payments when I had a good paying job. (But I could not tell the future) under his watch. I lost my 401 K plan under his watch. I now live with my son and his family. NO THANK YOU I CAN NOT AFFORD ANY MORE OF OB AND HIS WATCH.

August 17, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
      • Franky

So, Obama caused you to lose your job? YOu realize the recession started in 2007, and ended in September 2009. You do realize, when Obama took office, we were at nearly 8% unemployment and losing a rate of 750,000 jobs a month. So, let's see what has happened since he took office, Obama ended the recession in 9 months. He has added 2.5 million jobs in 16 months. Has the recovery been slow, yes, will it be back to the levels it was prior to 2007, not for a nother 3 – 6 years by most economist estimates. I'm surprised that Obama was able to do any of that, especially, with 1/2 of the country actively hoping and 1/2 of congress actually attempting to make him fail. You try to blam Obama for the debt/deficit, it's not his spending, you say the country is taxed too much, but under Obama it's record lows, the ogvernment takes in too much , it's also at 70 year lows. Has Obama been perfect not at all, but given, the hostility that he's encountered, the general attempts to ruin his presidency, I think he's doing ok. If you would actually let him do the things that needed to get done to get us back on track faster, guess, what maybe you'd have your job back that much sooner. What do you recommend? Don't say blanced budget cause you can not balance the budget without revenue increases, and significant cuts, but I'm sure you are against revenue increases. If so, then don't complain when companies keep sitting on their money, and the government has no money to funnel into the economy to help get people back to work. Corporations are sitting on record profits, with record low taxation, so with I'm sure the philosophy you endorse we should have record levels of jobs too.

August 17, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
      • skarphace

@Good4U: you couldn't find a job because you don't speak spanish? And you call Democrats lazy? How hard would it be to learn spanish while you are unemployed? It is the easiest language to learn for an english-speaking person. Get off the couch, learn Spanish, and get a friggin job. Problem solved.

August 17, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
      • Dave

Frankley I think you are smoking dope.

August 17, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
      • Your Name Here

Franky, do you get your information from the media? Have you looked outside lately? When did the recession end? 2009 you say? Oh yeah, that's what the White House said. Right. I'm not sure what you're smokin', but your sensibility seems to be pretty clouded! Oh, and your facts are pretty skewed too!

August 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • ColdWar153

Free healthcare? Are you kidding me? That is the cornerstone of our fiscal collapse? Are you one of the leaches that's benefiting from this? I am certainly getting a higher healthcare bill. Bail outs? Yes, handouts to the super wealthy. All they wanted is to prevent China from taking over whatever would be left. Besides, Bush started that. Osama is dead because of the hard work of our special forces – the hunt has been going on since Clinton – albeit, the urgency escalated during Bush and Obama. Give credit to those that actually did the work. Let me explain a thing or two about economics – its all a business cycle that the Presidency has absolutely no control over. Greenspan and Bernanke wield a great deal more power than the president! If anything, Obama has bankrupted the country. I'm sure when everything is accounted for a decade from now, we'll all see the final tally – and he'll be in the red.

August 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
      • Your Name Here

Unfortunately coldwar, a decade from now will be just a little bit too late. But you're right about pretty much everything you said.

August 17, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • John

I would agree with you here. He has accomplished many important things in the past three years. More so than the Bush's before him. The bold step to get Osama bi is an example of his leadership and for those who can't see that leadership then that explains why some are still considering to elect a GOP stooge again. Open your eyes. Thank-you, Mr. President.

August 17, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Dave

Fela – Do you really think healthcare is free?

August 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • whydavid

You are kidding, right?

There is no such thing as free healthcare... Your definition of free, which coincides with the typical liberal's definition of free, is that someone wealthier than yourself has to pay for it.

The auto industries and banks are NOT all reporting profits since the bailouts, but nice try anyways.

Somalian pirates still exist, still hijack boats, still murder, and still take hostages, but nice try again.

And adding jobs isn't much of an accomplishment when the workforce is growing faster than the job market and wages aren't growing.

Perhaps Obama would do better to smooth talk everyone about "hope and change" rather than focus on actual accomplishments...after all, it is what got him elected in the first place.

August 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • JayArBee

Agreed.

August 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • Jeffrey

@ Fela. Are you serious?
      Please elaborate on your ill conceived "accomplishments". Maybe a little credit for Osama, but he's been hunted for years. it was only a matter of time. Please. What about Wall street? Stocks are still tanking, deficit is rising, and yes, i guaranty you there are still somali pirates in the world. Please, dig a little deeper into the headlines you are reading.

August 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
      • skarphace

@Jeffrey: "Stocks are still tanking."

Huh? Stocks are nearly double what they were when Obama took office. But keep drinking that Tea flavored kool-aid.

August 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • www.ssnegotiators.com

BINGO!

August 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  33. Polymath

"He flatly predicted he will be reelected" – clearly, he is as insane as we think.

"He said he loves being President" – LMAO , yeah, I'll bet he does ...

August 17, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • John Nemesh

Who would you see in the Office? Romney? Too Mormon! Perry? Too Christian! Bachman? Too batshit crazy! (although that last could apply to any of them) Seriously, there is NO WAY that a Republican will win the general election...not after the manufactured debt ceiling "crisis" they created for political points!

August 17, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • jake

we'll see come nov 2012

August 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • TheSpectator

What Hipporcacy! Republicans are 100% responcible for Americas Troubles! You sent Jobs Overseas with YOUR TRADE AGREEMENTS under Clinton, You created Three wars Under Bush AND SOLD OUT AMERICANS to the drug companies under Medicare part D, And you gave Trillions in tax cuts to Billionaires while cutting cops teacher and pell grants. The republican party has never done a SINGLE good thing for America and from Slavery To The Economic collapse you are alway in the wrong!

August 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  34. ScottyD

President Obama is the Principal of a school dominated by whiny children (Congress). He has shown class, poise, and leadership – just look at the GOP posters (or posers) here – I am convinced this President puts the country first – that is why he tries to find a common ground. Unlike the racially motivated and selfish Republican Party.

August 17, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • Dave

Surely you are kidding on your post. You cannot be serious.

August 17, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • To Fela

Wow. Very well written. Thank you. I love our President Obama and am so proud of him and his composure. I don't know how he does it.

August 17, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
      • TheSpectator

i just can't understand it, the public's is a majority of people saying that they HAVE recognized Obama's contributions to this country, he spent EVER SINGLE year of his office trying to clean up the mess he inherited from his predecessors, and minimizing the damage it would have on the Country, im amazed at how many people can be swayed by political propaganda, they throw his shortcomings in your face, his broken promises, and BEG you to ignore the FACTS.

August 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • Dennis

He and the democrats were completely in charge for 2 years and sent this country into a tail spin. After a recesion, there should have been a bounce but like Democratic businessman Steve Wynn said, Obama has been a "wet blanket " on this economy. And you want 4 more years of this hope and change?

August 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
      • www.ssnegotiators.com

you honestly believe ANYONE could repair 8 years of Bush/GOP stupidity in 2 years? Obama has not put the country in a tailspin, he stabilized it by making unpopular decisions. It may not be going up as much as we want, but it's not going down in flames like the last 2 years of Bush.

August 17, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
      • Your Name Here

Dude, noone expects him to repair it in 3 years. I do think though, it's not unreasonable to expect him to not make it worse! He is making it worse by the day. You can blame the Republicans all you want, but your idiotic Senate is just as guilty as anyone. And by the way, why is it that the libs don't seem to acknowledge the fact that for the first two years in office, he and his dem cronies had complete control, yet nothing was done except ramming the healthcare bill down everone's throat? And that's working out for everyone!

August 17, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
  35. Keith Thesing

Wolf. Can I have the 30 seconds back that I wasted reading this useless so called article? Oh, and the 30 seconds I've taken to respond here. Start being a journalist. Meaning, report the news and not your opinion. There's too much of that already.

August 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • Andrew Eden-Balfour

It's not an article Keith, it's a blog, Wolf's CNN blog. That means it's his opinions that are being written down.

August 17, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • John Nemesh

Um....that's why this is under "Blitzer's Blog" and not under "Headlines"...duh! Opinions have ALWAYS been a valuable part of the news that is reported. I for one, WANT to know what he thinks!

August 17, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  36. Chris Gray

I still believe Wolf would make a better U-Boat captain. Talk about hom hum, I learned nothing new and will never get that five minutes back. Of course Obama thinks he will be re-elected, why else is he shooting at the GOP candidates, going to fund raisers three days a week and promising a great speech in September, what's wrong with tonight – get a sense of urgency!

August 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  37. Beck

I have personally liked Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Obama. But Obama and Bush have not been world beaters as leaders. We have suffered under both and here is hoping we can find a President in 2012 to lead out country out of this mess.

August 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • another

Life was hell during the Reagan Administration. Not much improvement with George 1 either. Obama and Clinton have been the best two presidents of my lifetime. I don't count Kennedy, because he died when I was too little.

August 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • sheppard

You've a;ready mentioned the one who got us in to the mess... and called him one of your guys... the bushman must be proud......

August 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • cynthiadavidson

What's a world beater? That sounds kind of ugly.

August 17, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Your Name Here

Finally someone with a little sanity. Thank you.

August 17, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Minorkle

Whether you agree or disagree with his policies (I happen to disagree), you cannot admire or respect Pres. Obama as a leader and statesman. He has never consistently projected positivity, and has not demonstrated reasoned and calm judgement. This is in stark contrast to the logic, patriotism and selfless concern of the tea-party's true welfare for the country.

August 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • B4Cons

This is your brain...... this is your brain on Fox.

August 17, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • another

You got the contrast part right anyway. You people can't see a dignified, respectful, intelligent statesman when he's standing right in front of you. You are not patriots, you are traitors and the hate you have for fellow Americans is obvious.

August 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  39. Val

To HR:
    Pres. Bush was way worst than Pres. Obama. Pres. Bush went to two wars without really the support of the world community. Guess whose spending most of the bills? THE UNITED STATES! A LOT OF UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE ARE JUST WAITING TO EXHAUST THEIR BENEFITS BEFORE LOOKING FOR JOBS AND IT'S A FACT BECAUSE I KNOW SOME LAZY PEOPLE ARE DOING JUST THAT!

August 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
  40. qularknoo

we don't care what your impressions are .... we have had two years of watching this man pretend to be a leader while his cronies incrementally move us toward socialism.

August 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
  41. Dave Dykstra

Wolf's bias is obvious. " Largely takes the high road" – He is always taking political shots. He is a politician first and foremost. I voted for him assuming he would be presidential material, but what I got was another politician who appears only concerned with reelection. He has put together a weak team (see attorney general as the prime example) and I have no idea what he stands for, except wanting to be president. I guess I should have paid more attention to his opponents when they brought up that he voted 'present".

August 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • another

Wolf didn't give enough opintion. This article was blah if anything. President Obama has been a leader. If you can't see how the Republicans have done everything in their power to stone wall him and not for the good of the country, you are blind. They were calling Obama a socialist before he was elected and a terrorist ... didn't you at the very least look up what those words mean? You have exposed yourself as completely mindless, especially if you didn't know what you voted for to begin with.

August 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  42. katy

The cast for the 2012 run on the GOP is goes from unimpressive. to scary. I will vote for Barack Obama.

August 17, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  43. John in Denver

Oh, come on. This guy is in love with Obama. I was wondering what his real 'impressions with President Obama" were going to really be? My internview with the President would ask one simple question, "If your party (The Democrats) has controlled all three chambers for 2 years prior to the last 6 months when the Republicans took over control of the House, why wasn't there federal budgets passed when you had the opportunity, and how come 22 Tea Party memebers out of 161 total House members who voted 'No' are the ones being blamed for 'highjacking' the economy?" Seems fishy that there were 95 Democrats who voted for the bill and 95 who voted against the bill, but everyone wants to blame the 22 Tea Party memebers. Crazy!

August 17, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  44. michael

a really insightful interview ........ your personal impressions are pathetic...... just like your interview.Who cares what he looks like since he was elected. The most important thing right at this moment is for him to be more descriptive about the current USA financial situation ,which is presently in the worse position since World War 2.

August 17, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  45. luckjoe

NOBAMA 2012

August 17, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • B4Cons

Gobama...Gobama...2012

August 17, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  46. Kip (Portland, Oregon)

America is often too hard on its leaders. The "raising the debt limit fight" was brusiing and Obama's poll numbers are temporarily down (40 percent) but the US congress's approval numbers are even lower (14 percent)! I think we are very lucky to have President Obama and thank God every day he is our President. He is well educated and a good husband and father. He is also incredibly articulate and as some have pointed out remains calm even in the face of very difficult circumstances. He has also been tough carrying out the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, the drone strikes in Pakistan and the early days of the UN action in Libya. He also had the staying power in the war on terror to bring Osama Bin Laden to justice whcih President Bush did not do in eight years. And most important President Obama cares about the poor, the old, the retired and the middle class as well as the one percent of superwealthy Americans who control 90 percent of the countries wealth. When you look at the GOP field of hopefuls President Obama stands out in a stark contrast. Some of the GOP hopeful are Tea Party nuts, others are religous zealots, gay bashers, racists, and dangerous isolationists like Ron Paul.. God save us from ideologues like Governor Perry or the Tea Party's Bachmann who loudly brag about having no interest in ever compromising and saying America cannot afford to honor its legal and contractual obligations to our old and to the retired. Successfully leading a complex country like the United States is all about compassion, understanding and knowing when , where and how to compromise. Inflexibile ideologues of all stripes and ilks are not needed or wanted as they do not solve complex problems. Sowing partisan or religous hatred is not a good problem solving strategy nor is it good for the political health of the country. It is easy to be a hater but it is hard to solve real problems. Against this incredibly unspiring field of GOP hopefuls, unless America has gone completely crazy I predict President Obama will win in 2012 with 60 percent of the vote!

August 17, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • KG

I want some of what Kip is smoking...... but, at some point, Kip will wake up from the drunken stupor and reality will set in.

August 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
      • Your Name Here

No kidding KG, but opium is illegal.

August 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Good4U

I take it you still have a JOB or still getting your monthy check from Uncle Sam? Yes, Come back next month after your Job is gone and your check stops coming. And tell me how much you love Uncle Sam then. Truth be told He does not know you or give one back side about you.

August 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
      • another

I lost my job in the beginning of the Bush Administration and then a business during the mid-end of Bush Admin. I'm working now. I suggest you get your lazy blaming right wing butt up and do the same.

August 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  47. John

Nice job Wolf. This article makes a great campaign spot... It paints a picture of a confident leader who takes the high road and shows emotion over fallen soldiers. So who is that indecisive, polarizing, finger-pointing dude in the White House we see every news cycle? An imposter? I truly believe he has compassion for the families of fallen soldiers, but so did the former president... and the media only counted body bags for him.

August 17, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  48. Jim

Obama promised sweeping change! Congrats! Nasa's gone, Unemployment at 9%, US credit rating down, government sponsored insurance that I am sure will be as efficient as any DMV or Post Office (oh yea Post Office Billions in debt), he didn't get in the way of gettting rid of Bin Laden, he has managed to promise all successful business owners that they will never get to keep their profits let alone use them to hire people, he single handedly shut down oil production in the gulf and has made the rigs and jobs go elsewhere....just to name a few.

By the way ALL members of congress should be fired.

August 17, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  49. Captain D

It's gonna be another great day in Grant Park when Obama smokes whatever numbskull gets the GOP nomination. I've got my bumper stickers ready to go. I'm gonna plaster them all over my flight bag and watch these Republican Lame Brained pilots I work with blow a gasket.

August 17, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • KG

You deserve the 9% unemployment and 15 trillion dollar deficit. Hope you don't have any children. They don't want yours and Obama's debt either.

August 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  50. newton

For or against, you have to put Obama and Reagan in the same category, in terms of bringing integrity back to the White House. Both Obama and Reagan sat in administrations that ran up astronomical amounts of debt. Reagan was the master of spending. Regardless, the two of them maintained integrity in both good and bad times, that the Bushes didnt, and Clinton did only in his first administration, perhaps. The Bush's were both weak-kneed Coolidge types, lackeys of the special interests that supported them. Obama and Reagan attempted to make the White House a respectable institution again, regardless of the policies that each President supported. Credit goes for that. Its nice that the world respects the White House again, even if they may or may not agree with some of the policies.

August 17, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  51. Mark

CNN's love affair with Obama makes me throw up in my mouth:)

August 17, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • Good4U

So Ture, I was told Uncle Sam has 51% ownership

August 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  52. Fox Spitzer

Love me some Obama

OBAMA BIDEN 2012

August 17, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  53. nytw

Why would Wolf Blitzer thank anyone would care about his impressions of Obama?

August 17, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  54. darkstar3000

I like President Obama, but he is not up to the job. Being president is tough and I don't think he has the experience and the know how to be effective. The Democrats had enough time to try to make their mark and once again they failed. I would love to see what Rick Perry brings in 2012. I think he will really shake things up.

August 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • another

You are under thirty and don't really follow what's going on. Am i right?

August 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  55. jean2009

What people really forget is this president is a centrist. I know the ultra-right wants to label him a liberal, but the facts don't bear that out. They in turn are so far to the wing-nut fringe that they wouldn't know what a centrist is. President Obama is a thoughtful educated blessing, we are so lucky to have him in these trying times.

Obama-Biden 2012

August 17, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  56. rob

I don't seem to remember this kind of dreamy, lovy dovy story from Blitzer about George Bush.. I guess I;ll have to see the interview for the confrontational, hard hitting, probing questions that he would have for Bush.....NOT

August 17, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  57. John

I think he will be re-elected too. most likely by a land side.

August 17, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  58. reader10

He is a very good talker (bs).What do you expect.He is a trained lawyer.If you ever need a lawyer pick him.

August 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  59. Sue

I agree..........I also want to see the pictures of Wolf kissing Obama's butt!!

August 17, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  60. Matthew Lewis

You notice that he is a true Democrat. He doesn't point fingers or call the gop names. Only the GOP calls people names because they don't have any class and instead of fighting for us the average person they want to keep the rich richer and the poor poorer. I read an article that showed hundreds of millionaires who didn't pay taxes. Some even received money back. I have had to pay taxes so why shouldn't they? I make only about $30,000 have one kid who is in college and one in middle school. Why is it that the millionaires can get away with getting refunds when I have to pay. Go Obama 2012 and I use to be a republican until I realized you have to be racest, a biget and willing to believe anything the rich tells you. george w bush was the one who turned me Democrat. gwb was the worst president ever by far and I have read about several Presidents with my son for History class. You the man OBAMA 2012.

August 17, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  61. Tod

I hope Obama gets re-elected in 2012. Not because I think he's the best guy for the job, I just love seeing republitards loose.

August 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  62. rick roundtree

What's scary is that 40% of the people in this country still support this idiot!!! It just shows how big a mess this country is in. If 40% of the voters can't see through his bs, we are all in trouble.

August 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • another

You got that backwards. What's scary is that 40% are still wing nutted against him and refuse to see the good he has done. Too many jumping on the Limbough Beck idiot bandwagon and stapling tea bags to their brainless skulls. That's scary.

August 17, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  63. jon

we all know that black don't crack!!

August 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  64. skarphace

I do not agree with everything Obama has done (or failed to do). However, I realize that much of what he has failed to do or been forced to compromise on has been the fault of the far right who's 'no compromise, no taxes' mantra has stalled the progress that the US could have otherwise made, in particular having to do with jobs and the economy.

Many people seem to agree with me. The approval rating of Obama may be hovering around 43%, but the approval rating of Congress is down around 16%.

Ironically, the continued efforts of the far right to make Obama seem like a failure may have worked against them. If Republicans nominate a Tea Party candidate, such as Perry, they could very well lose the moderate vote because of the Tea Party's insistence on making Obama a 'one-term President'.

I hope I am wrong and Republicans elect a moderate that can beat Obama, such as Romney or Huntsman. However, I do not see Republicans nominating someone who will not pander to the Tea Party, so it looks like Obama will be chosen by moderates as the lesser of two evils.

Once again, us moderates will probably be forced to vote against somebody rather than for somebody. Same old story.

August 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • another

Mitt Romney is so wishy-washy and I'm sure his photo in the dictionary if you look up pander. Do you not know anything about Romney ... how he has changed his stance on health care and abortion solely because his party or constituents told him so. Better check out his track record.

August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  65. Nobama 2012

Talks a good game, but no experience, and it shows. He will lose in a landslide. I wish Colin Powell were Pres. Instead.

August 17, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  66. Sam A.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?

Being the president is a stressful job!!!!!!!!! DA HELL YOU SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 17, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  67. Charles

Wolf, what was the deal with the room where you interviewed the President? It looked like some kind of factory but it was too clean as if no one work had been working there. Did they give it a good cleaning and clear out the workers for the interview? If the Chinese were watching I'll bet they had a good laugh at that work area.

August 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  68. Centr1fuge

Lap dog.

August 17, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  69. Carrie P.

President Obama will be re-elected in 2012. I appreciate his thoughtful, deliberate, calm and wise leadership. He has accomplished in 2 1/2 years more than many former presidents accomplished in 8 years. He's intelligent, charismagtic, kind, morally strong and continually seeks out the best for the American people. I and millions of others continue to pray for him daily and will gladly vote for him next year.

August 17, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  70. Bigdawg

How much more moderation do you folks need? Can't Wolf take a little constructive criticism?

August 17, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  71. Jason

Oh.

I thought he was actually going to do his "impressions of President Obama"....cause that guy who does Bush is pretty good.

August 17, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  72. Johnson

We would have to be completely dumb not to realize what the republicans are trying to do to him. Some rep keep saying he has failed, we all know this is not true, that is what they hope for. It's funny how we have troops down range risking their lives while the republican party tries to deliver on their promise to cause the president to fail. The R's are taking the country down at the same time.

Obama 2012

August 17, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  73. MACT

You call that an impression? It didn't sound anything like him. Andy Kaufman's Ed McMahon was better!

August 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  74. cnn90

Good review. Anyone in that position will age quickly. The stress is immense.
    It is much easier for people to criticize than to perform the job well.
    The Republicans and Tea Drinkers attack Obama for "spending spree".
    Obama needs to hit back and clarify the issue: if one looks carefully at the figures (revenues vs spending), a big chunk of last year spending was the $800B stimulus package, without it the country would have been in chaos: unemployment up to 14-15%, banks collapse etc. etc.

In this analogy, Bush sent the plane nose-dive down from 33,000 feet, Obama prevented the crash but the plane is now flying at 20,000 feet. People now complain how come it is not flying at 33,000 feet LOL. Well, consider we are lucky we did not "hit the ground at 500 mph!".

I believe in this country, it will be back on its feet soon.

Be positive.

I will vote for Obama.

For Obama haters, don't post.

August 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  75. d

Obama is on the way to re-election. All he needs is a plan that will actually create jobs. And a foreign policy that will make the US respected again. And bring back manufacturing jobs to the US. And fix the entitlement programs so that they wont bankrupt the government. And have a realistic energy plan that will allow the US to be energy independent without costing an arm and a leg. And he needs to start being a leader and quit blaming everyone else for his failures. Other than that, he's all set!

August 17, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  76. MB

"When he talks, he makes me feel good," says the liberal. That's why he'll get re-elected, because of the ignorant, clueless, uneducated and misinformed public will vote for him. And illegal immigrants too, as promoted by the Democratic party.

August 17, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  77. Ash

Nice parrot talking points with the whole "community organizer" line sppon fed to you by idiotic, mis informed hardline, uneducated red necks. As if organizing and helping those less fortunate than you is somehow a "socialist, commie" whatever other term of idealogical warfare your corporate masters have you mouthing around town as they rape and pillage your 401k and investments,while you blindly go around mouthing their pull string platitudes. Next thing on the list...privatize breathable air! Why not right wingers? Everything should be run as a for profit endeavor right? Let's only sell air to those that can afford it and let the rest die. Your souless, dull meaningless lives have been stolen from you, and you have been hypnotized to worship your masters as they cast you aside one by one. Then you claim Jesus as a hero...the ultimate community organizer. Wow. The sheer hypocricy and complete unwillingness to once...just once! try to look out for your own interests instead of your masters is astonishing. Thank god your empty headed, brainless zombie candidates stand no chance of winning anything.

August 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  78. elobogrande

After reading the comments from the teabaggers, I think Sarah and Michael make perfect leaders for them...Can't Understand Normal Thinking Syndrome.. Completely Crazy....Dumb like a fox...they can see the truth, but won't accept it. They will invent anything to make our president look bad. They're still upset over the intelligent people for Bush bashing. Can anybody define TREASON?

August 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  79. Joe from Ohio

I'm disgusted by some of these comments. I was NO fan of our former president at all, but the worst I ever called him was Bush. Some of the names and hatred that are thrown at American's current president is disgusting. Where is all this HATE coming from?

August 17, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  80. Robert

This president has been a complete failure. After campaigning on “Hope and Change” and promising to return decency to Washington. Shortly after being elected, he said “elections have consequences”, and then working with a Democratic controlled House and Senate for 2.5 years pushed his agenda through and spent recklessly, with zero focus on jobs creation. Every budget he submitted called for spending in excess of receipts by more than 1.4 Trillion each year. None of his budgets were approved by his Democratic controlled Congress, because even they didn’t want to be stuck with this excess spending.

In the fall of 2010 when a group of conservative Republicans won office the president said he “got a shellacking”. Now 8 months later he is blaming this group for all the ills he created. Sorry Mr. President, you’re first 30 months in office caused this.

As a fiscal conservative and social moderate, I’m embarrassed by our president. I recently sold my business of 25 years and 700 employees because of the uncertainty of government regulation, taxes and Obamacare. The buyer of my company – a PE group from China, where did I put my money – Australian Dollars. Why? Because until we get a leader who knows how to lead and stands aside letting business create jobs, I’ll stay on the sidelines.

August 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Jess C

"Zero focus on jobs creation", really? Tell that to GM employees who got no help from the GOP.

August 17, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  81. JackLack

So, what and where are his impressions? He makes some observations, I see Blitzer giving no impressions of Obama, whatsoever.

August 17, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  82. mb2010a

Tom, HR, Reload, Jack and Jeff are all the same person with different screen names. Tea party troll...

August 17, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  83. Angela

Always the adult in the room. I know the Republicans think that someone who compromises is weak. I think someone who is willing to negotiate and compromise is a strong leader.

August 17, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  84. CalBear

Just another powderfpuff interview. How can you re-elect a man that squandered over $800 billion stimulus funds? He wasted another year on a big government health care program when we needed jobs. The net result was a loss of business and consumer confidence.

When his policies failed to work he blamed everyone (Republicans, Japanese, Europeans, bad luck) except for himself. That's not "classy", that's rude. It also shows a remarkable incompetence.

August 17, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Jess C

Ah, c'mon.... Are you calling all those stimulus dollars Perry accepted a waste now? He calls it "job growth in Texas".

August 17, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  85. mitch

Give it a rest Wolf. Your "reporting" gives Obama every soft ball question one can imagine, and even in the rare case you ask a meaning question, you let Obama give a mini-campaign speech as an answer without ever a follow up to keep Obama's feet to the fire. What the hell kind of journalism is that? I'm still wondering why I even listen to CNN except every once in a while you have someone else other than the other Obama cheerleader/report Jessica Yellin who actually knows something.

August 17, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  86. Brian

It's good to know that Obama eats burgers. Wonder what brand of toothpaste he uses. Are journalists superficial? I get the impression the purpose of these stories is to fill space between the commercials.

August 17, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  87. Peter M Ranoia

Blitzer is a fraud. I read nothing in there about impressions. Thats all I got to say that is the end for me and also CNN,

August 17, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  88. Deeb

@ HR

I think you have your president's mixed up. It was our former president...you know the one from Texas...who spent..spent...spent....spent so much that he turned a surplus into a deficit. Remember? And speaking of being incompetent...please...you don't want me to start in on Dubya....

August 17, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  89. GD

Hey Blitzer - If you pull your nose out of his "can," you could see he's leading us off a cliff. As is, your visibility is obscured by his "cheeks."

August 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  90. Grundoon

@ Tom & Reload: Only those suffering from Tea Tard deragement fail to remember that in addition to Community Organizer, our President was also a Constitutional Scholar at one of the most prestigeous universiies in the country, President of the Harvard Law Review and passed up a lucrative career in finance in fvor of public service. It's the peopel that you back that are keepign this coutnry from moving forward with their constant obstructionism. And for you, @ HR, you have the nerve to call him an idiot and, shesh, you are probably the king of idiots!

August 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  91. Senior Citizen

I don't care what our President looks like, we just need to get him re-elected!

August 17, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  92. grace

You're a hack Blitzer. Nobody cares.
    Next time ask some tough questions. Our economy is in trouble, and as someone who's supposed to be bringing us the news you aren't doing your job.

August 17, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  93. jimbo

Youd have to be out of your mind to vote for this loser again .He has done NOTHING to help Americans , especiallly the black community. He should be impeached or charged with treason...he is not even eligible for the office but the media sucks up to him every chance. they get ..They are complicit in his lies and deceit. Americans will demand answers as the next election approaches. . Obma has no chance to be re-elected... all he does is talk and America is sick of hearing him..he is clueless, impotent and worthless

August 17, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  94. len

President Obama is a caring person. He has done a very good job in helping all Americans instead of only the upper 2%......He inherited major problems and has done a good job trying to solve those problems. Unfortunately, from day one, the GOP has tried to block everything, even the same ideas that they had before he became president. Examples: free trade agreements, cutting payroll taxes, etc. but now they block them.

We must vote out the Tea Party folks, who are destroying the middle class and poor, and re-elect President Obama!!!

August 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  95. Bill

Way to suck up, Wolf. Try not to drool in your beard so much.

August 17, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  96. seanster5977

He is married Wolf. Calm down you freak. Hope you didn't wet yourself while writing this piece. Where do liberals get off thinking FoxNews is biased. Wow, that is exactly what I expected a liberal journalist to do. Lob a couple softballs at your hero. I feel dirty calling wolfie a journalist and need to wash my hands.

August 17, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  97. xjdavid

I'm not a fan of a lot of Democratic policies, but I think Obama gets the blame for a whole lot of Republican mess. Christine Bachman said a mouthful. During the debate, she was asked (I think by Pelawnty) about any contribution she's had in her current office, and she said something to the effect of "I've fought Obama and Pelosi!" That is ALL they've done. They haven't had any good plans, just fight Obama no matter what. Do we really want a president who, in her own words, will NOT compromise? Are the branches of government supposed to fight, but only in order to accomplish something? So far the GOP doesn't have a single candidate that can beat Obama.

August 17, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  98. GaryB

I think the Americans are too smart to let the Republicans control two branches of government again (let's recall that most of our debt and deficit problems piled on in 2003-2007 under GOP controlled budgets). If it looks like the GOP will maintain control of the House, I think that will push more people to vote for Obama in 2012.

August 17, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  99. Mortamus

I believe nothing will change in the world (except the American people being over joyed) when each and every solider is home in the USA where they belong.

August 17, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  100. Mark

Meaningless pap. Must be nice for BO to have a personal press patsie along for the ride on his midwest campaign stops. BO is GONE in 2012!

August 17, 2011 at 4:59 pm |