Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

August 16th, 2011

Obama blasts GOP 'rigidity' in CNN interview

PEOSTA, Iowa (CNN) – President Barack Obama placed the blame for Washington's current political paralysis squarely at the feet of his Republican opponents Tuesday, telling CNN that the GOP's "ideological rigidity" is standing in the way of compromises necessary for stronger economic growth.

In a wide-ranging interview with Wolf Blitzer, the president said the inability of GOP leaders in Congress to support a recent $4 trillion deficit reduction deal focused more heavily on spending cuts than revenue increases is evidence of a party placing political considerations before national interests.

WATCH: Video clips of Wolf Blitzer's interview with President Obama

Filed under: Interviews • President Obama • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Edouard Daher

Dear Mr. Blitzer, I have so much respect for your journalism and news reporting. I have been watching and listening to you since you probably started at CNN. I have been a huge fan of yours because of your sincerity, honesty and fairness in reporting. But, I am posting this comment today after I have been hearing the news over the past week regarding the current UN assembly meeting in NYC and the issue of President Obama NOT meeting with Bibi Netanyahu, when he really did not meet with any other Head of State.... Are you serious???? Is CNN serious?? It's not just you but it's all I hear on CNN... but you set the standards!!! And that's why I am addressing you. Nobody.... Nobody is talking and making huge issue about the GENOCIDE that is currently happening in Syria and how the whole world is watching...including the US... I see you're reporting the news about "Innocent people getting killed"!!! that's it???? But I never heard you or anybody else on CNN holding leaders you're interviewing accountable for allowing this to happen in Syria...Is this History repeating itself??? Are we witnessing "History in the making" and "Holocaust" all over again???...... and then 40 years later we'll tell the people of Syria that "we're sorry"!!!! Is that our moral obligation/standard these days???? I think you and CNN need to take a lead on trying to push leaders that you interview to take further actions and stands... and it doesn't have to be military!!! And by the way, I am not Syrian, and have nothing to do with Syria's regime or opposition.... I speak from Humanitarian basis as a US Citizen of Lebanese descent that knows all too well about the suffering of wars and civil conflict as I lived Lebanon's war from 1975 to 1990.

September 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  2. Robert

Wolf Blitzer, I've watched you for years. I have had much respect for your position at CNN throughout the years. But I think where the growing need for transparency from our leaders is a 'Moral Imperative', you have lately failed at that commitment to uphold it. it saddens me to watch you patronize ignorance and untruths from dishonest politicians that use you to further their agendas on corruption and deceit, when you should be the lens and filter of truth for those of us that watch your show. I have more recently found myself turning the channel to see the same person on another network being exposed by another journalist who's commitment to the truth holds more passion than yours. I checked the ratings, and can honestly see why you have recently dropped to dead last . I still have faith in you Mr. Blitzer that you can turn this around by simply standing your ground on 'No Talking Points' from these crooks!

August 17, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Roger Hale

I was just looking for a place to, again, make a comment about the lack of push-back from CNN, journalists; so wholeheartedly agree with Robert's comments. After watching Wolff let Reniece Priebos get away with typical disrespectful and frankly idiotic politic rhetoric —hat the majority of the country, and Jack Cafferty, are disgusted with—I lost faith in TSR's ability to give us first class journalism. Journalists should be a front for the public and not let people get away with manipulating facts, telling untruths etc. etc. What are you scared of? That they won't come back if you ask tough questions?
      Who won't come back are your viewers, if you keep on cuddling up to interviewees. Push back with facts!
      Roger, Brazil.

August 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  3. Bob Courtney

Good interview with President Obama. If he truly has a plan a question comes to my mind. Why doesn't he release it become vacation to allow House and Senate members to vet it with their constituents before they come back Sept 7? Is the plan ready, or is it being written at Martha's Vineyard?

August 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  4. Sandra Johnson

It was so obvious during the debt crisis circus, that the Republicans only interest were there own, they are so hell bent on discrediting this Administration, that they put our counries economy in further jeopardy. They are such hypocrites, wearing the flag pin, waving the flag. touting about what patriots they are, and when the country needed them to stand and be counted, they were nowhere to be found. The same way they do when it is time to serve our country on the front lines, who goes, the poor, minorities and those who still believe in America..the true meaning of its founding, The right to have freedom of religion, public schools, and that all men are created equal. Stop playing like you are so patriotic, when you could care less about anything other than their own agenda.

August 17, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  5. Jim Thomas

All of the politicans are quilty of hurting our country the way they have.These clowns,(sorry Ringling Bros.etc.)I mean IDIOTS do not care about this contry and my dad died in WWII so they could live the good(crooked life) they are living.VOTE ALL INCUMBANTS MUST GO NOW. Jim Thomas Phx.Az.

August 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  6. DAVID

Could Wolf tell Mr Obama just focus on the economy and jobs now rather than think of his re-election? Obama spends too much energy for his compaigns never did/does anything for this country. He has too much empty talks all over the country and never realised what his job is.

Be A Wolf not a puppy.

August 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  7. Luke

President Obama is 100% correct in saying that there is "ideological rigidity" in the GOP. It is everywhere in politics, but to see Bachmann, Perry, and others who are so thoughtless and disconnected from society only hurts the general moral of Americans. The credibility of these candidates is at an all time low for me. Improper English really bugs me too, Perry.

August 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  8. Jerry Brown

Should we feel sorry for Wolf as Obama plays him for a FOOL again? Or, has Wolf deteriorated into some pitiful party hack in service to the Obama's Orwellian agenda?

August 16, 2011 at 11:12 pm |