Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

July 29th, 2011

BLITZER'S BLOG: Huntsman criticizes GOP rivals on debt ceiling debate

Washington (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman is not mincing any words in criticizing what he says is Mitt Romney’s absence in the debt ceiling debate. Huntsman says this is a time “for people to stand up and show real leadership.”

I had asked the former Utah governor and ambassador to China whether he agreed with Democratic political operative David Axelrod’s recent criticism of Romney. The former White House aide to President Obama had suggested Romney was missing in action in the whole debate.

“If somebody wants to be president of the United States, this is the time to stand up and actually lead out on one of the most important issues of our time,” Huntsman replied. “If you’re not willing to lead out during the time of this debt ceiling debate, then that should raise some questions about when you are, in fact, going to take a position and lead out.”

I pressed Huntsman. “Mitt Romney is not standing up and taking a leadership role?” I asked.

“I see no evidence in any of my opponents stepping up and taking a position on it.”

“Any of them?”

“I haven’t seen it,” Huntsman said. “It’s one thing to wish the whole debate away and just say we’ll crash and burn. I don’t consider that to be a position.”

Huntsman also took issue with Michele Bachmann’s position that the country should not increase the debt ceiling under any circumstances.

“She’s an elected Representative,” Huntsman said. “She has her point of view. I would only say that we have obligations to meet as a nation. I think we should take those obligations seriously. We’ve had a triple A bond status for almost 100 years in this country. It impacts the cost of capital, which means it impacts every family in this country. And I say it’s important we step up and meet those obligations.”

The interview airs 5 pm ET today in The Situation Room.

RELATED STORY: Huntsman's advice on the debt ceiling: 'Use the bully pulpit'

Post by:
Filed under: 2012 election • Jon Huntsman • Mitt Romney • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Me-Me

Hi Wolfe,

This is Me-Me. So a plan has been approved. A deal has been made. WOW! But what kind of a deal is it? For me it was a deal that left me feeling drained. On one hand I'm glad a decision was reached but as a Dem. I feel like was trampled on by a herd of elephants and left on the ground barely alive. I hated it when Boehner was boasting about how the Reps. got 98% of what they wanted. I guess that mean that the Dems. only got 2% of the deal. That don't sound fair to me. You know Wolfe the problem with the Dems. is that they are to easy, they are to fair, they do try to extend an olive branch ,they will turn the other cheek. But the Dems. and the Republicans are as different as day and night. The Reps. are hard, they are unfair, they will beat you with the olive branch, and punch you in the cheek. I think the Reps. are the only people happy with this deal. Personally I think it was a one-sided deal and I think a lot of the Dems. were not happy with it. I have a statement to the Dems. Stop letting the Reps. cram stuff down your throat! Stand up for what you believe |I hate to say this-but this is the one time the Dems. could take a lesson from the Reps.. The Reps. didn't want tax issues on the table, and guess what they got? No tax issues on the table. The deal was one-sided. I know the Dems. (having hearts, and caring for their country) did what they had to do so late in the process. But know that the deal that was made left a real nasty taste in the mouth of most (the average Joe/Jane) people. Now as for President Obama. I love my president, I respect him, and I'm thankful for all the things he have accomplished since he's been in office, so it's hard for me to say anything negative about him. And yes I'm voting for him in 2012 no matter what because I understand, I know what he has to deal with. Some issues that are seen, and some issues that are hiding behind "white" sheets. I know that he is doing the best he can inspite of all the evil that is coming up against him. President Obama made a promise in the beginning of his presidency to work with the Reps. and extend them an olive branch. He tried so hard to keep this promise until if he turn around he'll find himself on unfamiliar ground. Some say the president is weak, I say he's to caring about how the Reps. feel and what they have to say. I think this is where the problem is: The Reps. on the other hand don't give a dam about what President Obama or the American people have to say. The only thing that matters to them is what they want. Why is anyone surprised by this. They are use to having it their way, taking what they want, even fighting for it although it did not belong to them in the first place. Just ask the American Indians. It's their mind-set. I have these comments for my president:
    1. Never put the interest of another party before the interest of your own.
    2. Know that the Republicans will NEVER compromise fairly with you.
    3. Don't make promises that you are not willing to keep.
    4. Re-group, prepare for the next battle with the Republicans. They now see you as weak. Never bring a knife to a gunfight. You'll show up with a knife, they'll have a cannon.
    5. Give yourself more than enough time to work on major decisions. Know that the Reps. will always try to cause problems for you no matter what you do.
    6. Know that they are out to destroy you. Love them, but love them from a distance.

Have a great day!

Me-Me.

August 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
  2. Susan Cannon-Carlson

We gained nothing. Minimal cuts to offset the next round of spending, and a commitment not to discuss the dirty secret of our impending economic collapse until after Obama goes through his next re-election campaign.S&P has stated that increasing the debt ceiling was only part of it – we still have to show a commitment to fiscal sanity. Which we didn't.. Reid et al didn't even bother putting anything on paper until two weeks ago. Dems in charge of spending since 2007, with the debt and deficit soaring after that. It's all politics, and they count on Americans being ignorant enough to only look at the front pages of the mass media news and CNN.

August 1, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
  3. Perk

What are we missing in all this ? The numbers and Josephine Baker Deja Vu ? Or maybe the Ted Weems Orchestra playing as the Senate debates ? I'm not sure we're all ready for the next, Great Depression are you ? Does everybody know the Charleston ? Do you have your Coquette of the Political 2011 economic crisis yet ? Flapper's 2011 kicking loose ! What are we getting in this economic plan ? Made In The USA !

July 31, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  4. megansue

Wolf, this whole situation with the budget, and all the people that are in this debate have no clue what's going on to the little people. I hope we all taking notes on the people in Washinton, who are not taking the american people who voted them in office. They don't have our best interest, they have their best interest in heart. In 2012 when we the people go to vote, I hope they remember what has gone on all this time. Mr.Boeher is not the president. President Obama is still in office. I agree with Little Tin God. The GOP want President Obama to fail so badly they are willing to destroy the U.S. to make it happen. Since he has been president, they have made his job really difficult. We the people are almost at the point to protest our owe gov. in washington DC. Just like the protest of the other countries, we watch on TV

July 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  5. Linda Hensley

I suspect if the first cut/hold on spending was Congress' paycheck, health insurance, and any other benefits they receive from our tax dollars, this matter would be settled very quickly. If they cut Social Security or any other benefits, WE HAVE ALREADY EARNED AND WERE PROMISED, their benefits should be cut by the same percentage. I believe all should share equally, if I go without, my neighbors go without, or cannot afford their medical care, then so should Congress. Perhaps doing away with a few people in congress would be a huge benefit, who wants to go FIRST?

July 31, 2011 at 9:46 am |
  6. Perk

All Parties saying it's time to team up ! Listen to Rubio,Perry and Rand Paul last night and they're on it fair and square workiing together ! Rubio says the Senate should have passed a budget months ago and he's been there but nothing is done ! Why not and he says that's illegal ? Where is Penny Mack and get him in there ! Love these new Senators we've got shaking up the old school ! They're telling it like it is ! Rand Paul says he'll work with Harry Reid's plan and where is Obama's plan ? Everybody's trying to find Obama's economic plan that they say doesn't exist ? Yeild your 30 seconds and communicate a solution ! Good job Perry,Rubio and Rand Paul ! Those three are rocking on for America and don't care what party they're with ! The checks better better be to our military and elderly folks ! Play the song ..."Dancing In The Streets." Yeah ,by the millions and we gotta get this economic solution straightened out today ! 70's generation isn't chewing on this bone and it's wacked out to weird ! Don't throw us in this economic cluster of political confusion. How many years in our 50's are we going to have to deal with this because of bad politics ? Go USA ! Team Up DC ! No checks to our military and how many Americans are going to care what political party you're with ? Get Real ! Get them all rounded up in one room and look at all the economic plans ! Find the solution ! American citizens don't intend to end up with the economic mystery bone after politicians chew on it. "Jobs Baby Jobs " HC ! Run the numbers and the effects of the economic plan ? What's in it ? A surprise like Cracker Jacks ? No time for politics ! It's an All Party Economic Team Work On ! "From Sea To Shining Sea ...." Invoke the 14th Amendment ! What ever works ! Jimmy Mack,Penny Mack when are you coming back....? Gang of 6 and where is Cohburn ? He'll cut the fat off that economic bone ! Boehner's Plan works with Reid's Plan and let's see that meeting with an economic all call and everyone present for the best interests of the USA ! When is the meeting we the people get to see and listen to ? It's the people's money and allow the press in and we need to hear the numbers and listen to what the heck you're doing . Hide and sneak ? No,we're on Show and Tell !

July 31, 2011 at 9:27 am |
  7. Lynn - Waulee, IA

As far as the military potentially not being paid – Maybe the U.S. Congress shouldn't be paid if they can't get this resolved!!

July 30, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  8. Antonio

The US hours of Reps a joke in the eyes of the world, lucily you still have tree word standing Bold and Proud, WE THE PEOPLE, us these words get ride of the fools.

July 30, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  9. Me-Me

Hi Wolfe,
    This is Me-Me again. I can't believe what I'm watching on T.V. It's like watching a very long, very bad movie. I'm one of millions of Americans sitting down watching this dog and pony show everyday. It's shameful and disgraceful. Men ( and I use that term loosely) acting like little boys, tit for tatting each other, shameful! But I notice no one is talking about the big "elephant" in the room, everyone is politely dancing around it. This is the first time in history that this type of situation has come up about raising the debt ceiling. Why is it such a nightmare this time? What is different about this time than any other time in American History? Well–if you have not guess the answer yet let me tell you what it is. For the first time in history we have an African Am. in the "white" house. There are many out there who are appalled by the fact that this was allowed to happen. And many out there who will do what ever it takes to get him out of there. Even something as unbelieveable as letting the country sink into the ocean. Look Wolfe, the Republicans don't care about what happens to the country right now. They are still angry with the country for allowing a black man to win the white house in the first place. So letting the country go into default would serve a twofold purpose for them. First it would punish Americans for letting Obama get in there, and secondly they hope and feel that it will destroy him as president. Their job and purpose from the first day Obama took office was to destroy him, and they are willing to do what ever it's takes to see that it happens. Personally I don't think they will compromise to raise the debt ceiling, because if they do compromise with Reid and the Dems. then they won't have the "tag" of failure to pin on Obama's back. and the Reps. are willing to sell their souls to get that tag. The Republicans don't give a "dam" about us, the country, the voters. They have put us in the closet for now, until they finish their quest to destroy Obama. WOW! We, as a country should be very afraid, the bible warns us of these times, and days in thr book of Revelations Wolfe. You should read this book when you get time Wolfe, it will help you to understand what is going on right now. The bible warns of the anti-christ. Well-he has been here for a while and now he has enlisted the aid and help of some of his little nephs (namely the tea-party members). It's O.K. I'm not hurting their feeling by calling them this.. First you have to have feelings in order for them to get hurt. These people have come with one purpose in mind, to bring down and destroy. I'm not a fan of the Republicans party, we don't believe in the same things, but I have always felt that most of them had hearts. I can't believe they are allowing themselves to be controlled by these monsters! Wolfe, what I think Obama should do is if by monday no decision has been reached and voted on by both parties, he should pull rank and pass the debt ceiling himself. Sure it will cause a big fallout after that, but Wolfe there will still be a fallout if he let the country go into default. They will try to make sure he serve only one term (if not try to impeach him ) anyway. If I were Obama I would rather serve "one term" knowing I made a bold move on my own for the sake of saving my country, rather than serve as a "one term" president being labeled by the Republicans as the first president in history to bring the country into a defult. I pray God will give him wisdom and strength to make the right decision. Have a great day! Me-Me.

July 30, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  10. Dave in Chillicothe

With regard to the wealth gap I would like to see someone compute the average wealth of the white households with the top two percent of the households being removed and seperately reported. That would be a truer picture. It would also show just how wealthy the top two percent are.

July 30, 2011 at 10:07 am |
  11. Kenny K

The party that like any type of war does not want to create room. to pay for it.

In order to afford to pay for costs of wars, policing the world, free money for other countries such as Isreal, etc and still have a balance budget, the USA need to be able to raise taxes whenever it is necessary.

July 30, 2011 at 12:03 am |
  12. GaryB

Huntsman once again shows himself to be one of the smartest guys out there. Problem is, Republicans hate smart guys. I think that's part of why they hate Obama so much.

July 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
  13. Ethan

Amazing how even Huntsman is scared to validate Ron Paul. Ron Paul has a position and has been all over TV telling his position to anyone who will listen.

The real default is in the US DOLLAR. It is worth less by the day because of the reckless spending and printing of money to cover the reckless spending. 1.6 trillion of the debt is owed to the Fed. The FED! The people that run our financial system. To think we talk about default when we owe, and pay interest on, 1.6 trillion TO OURSELVES! That is ludicrous.

Open your eyes. Ron Paul 2012. R3VOLUTION.

July 29, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
  14. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Huntsman is right, these sorry GOP campaign people are letting others do the heavy lifting and they offer nothing but a lot of rhetoric. Cherry picking doesn't show presidential material because leading a country doesn't work like that.

July 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  15. Bruce Coil

Jon Huntsman: billionaire's boy and President of Club Rino. Jonny. . . . didn't exactly hear any good ideas come out of your mouth, either. You and McShame are cut from same tampon.

July 29, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  16. Cindy

OMG! A Republican who almost sounds like an adult!

July 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  17. The Zog

Who is John Galt?

July 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  18. veronica

Sen Kerry was so obnoxious about Beyner's bill. With prompt assurance that that plan will not pass. No dem will vote for it. Then he wants to whine that the dems have "given". His reason for not passing an amendment for balancing the budget is that "we don't need it". He claims Beyner's plan just "kicks the problem on down the road" and in the next breath claims the problems can be solved over the next 3 or 4 months. Are we not 2 days away from a deadline? With people like this man in office it is no wonder Congress is so dysfunctional.
    Cut...Cap.... and balance!!!!!!!!

July 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  19. Evelyn

Jon Huntsman is more moderate as our states governor he passed a bill allowing alcohol to be served in restaurants ,a bill that helped tourism even though the holy fanatic mormons didn't approve.The mormon church runs this state and its leaders yet he was able to govern Utah for the people .He did not let the church or the fanatics get to him .I wish he would run against Senator Hatch so we can get him out.

July 29, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
  20. Stan

Very frustating situation w2here 87 freshman ideologs can threaten the world economy because of thier hatred for Obama. The system must be changed it is non functional.

July 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  21. Thomas

I just want to know why none of Mitt's five sons did any military service ?

July 29, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
  22. JBird

Perhaps Huntsman should take a glance in the mirror prior to criticizing his opponents.
    As for Wolf Blitzer, after watching CNN just prior to his program, he is more concerned with who is reading his tweets than he is with his reporting. Can you sensationalize any more than you already do, Wolf?

July 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  23. Lisa

Besides Bruce Bartlett, first smart thing I've heard from a Republican in a long time. And he's right, Romney has not taken a stand on anything important since he announced his bid.

July 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  24. Jeff

Does Huntsman have more wives than Romney?

July 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  25. joesmith

it matters not what these candidates think, or don't think..the media mouthpieces for the government will spin the debate to ensure the money trail here and abroad, ( particularly Israel ) and their interests are met..too bad this country can't divorse itself from so-called friends in the east..moreover, certain powerful groups, bohemiem club, bildenbergers, all expect something for their efforts..Romney, and the lot are powerless..the American people will ultimately pay dearly..

July 29, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  26. bill davis

Glad to see the man stand up, Mitt is a want to be..Obama is a flip flopper..McCain a looser before he started..

At least he has 2 feet, the China experience will help him...

July 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
  27. Dave

It will be an election of nightmarish proportions.

July 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  28. ola eyes

wolff all you media people are just as evil and unconcern about the people our seniors veterans students working people etc none of you are asking any tough questions of boehner we are an educated people and you have not done a good job of framing the debate all you do is debate statements not the real issue the issue here is and the question is how we the people have allowed racism to take over the government and country the leader of the republican tea party rust lambaugh fox news said it's objective is to see the president fail at least you should ask boehner what have they compromised

July 29, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Middle of the Road

You're an idiot.

July 29, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
    • Randy Myers

I was very angry at what was happening in the debt discussion at first. Now I am very sad. Not so much as how the debt debate was turning out, but the realization that for the Majority of the voters in this Country, Democracy has come to an end. In this case the Minority view used a form of Economic Terrorism and has held the entire world hostage, it had nothing to do with Democracy. The minority view won but the cost was we have forever lost the Democratic process. This is a unique situation where the minority view has been forced on the Majority. The results of this terrorist act is the destruction of the very institutions that the minority hates and it can't lose either way. The entire world has realized that a fanatical group can by pass the Democratic process and destroy major institutions set up by the majority without any recourse. The Tea Party in this situation won the day, but the cost has been we each lost the Democratic form of Government. You can rationalize this if you believe your ideology is right, but realize that the Nazi's had the same mind set and by passed the process also. Today I observed the most unpatriotic act since the assassination of John F. Kennedy

July 31, 2011 at 9:16 am |
  29. Larry L

Huntsman is the only Republican entering the race with enough common sense and statesmanship to run a country. Sadly, the political party he represents could never support a person who won't bow down to that radical element of the Republican Party calling all of the shots. He's not crazy enough and doesn't want to destroy our federal government. The Tea Party withe trash could never support a person like that!

July 29, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • tim43

While I agree with you, I did not see a Huntsman stand on the issue

July 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
    • Mike H.

As an independent who has voted for both parties over the decades, I have to agree. Huntsman is the ONLY Republican candidate this year who deserves my vote and would probably get it. If someone else gets the nomination, I will have no choice but to vote for Obama. He's not my ideal president but he's not terrible and all the GOP folks, other than Huntsman, are either total loons that scare the H out of me or else slicker than snot on a doorknob (looking at you, Romney).

July 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  30. Rich GAz

I decided I will not pay my taxes this year. I need to redo my financial budget and do not know if I will get it done by the April 15th 2012 deadline. Of course I will not commence looking at a new budget seriously until April 14th. So I will absolutely default So US IRS you have been notified. When I do finalize my fiscal budget 2012 I will be in default. It will be necessary for me to pay those who are in most need of my payment – which by my default are those things that keep me warm dry and fed. This leaves you out IRS . See me in six months after April 15th and we can discuss – MAYBE – thats if I am not to busy following the campaigns and deciding what rally to go to. Its a tough road trip attending all those rallys.

July 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Al Buddy

This is so true to what we are seeing in our posturing lame politicians. I too will not pay any taxes, oh wait, I tried that, didn't work out too good. But the idea is so parallell to how our cry babies in Washington act. This is the end of the tea party, exposed to all as unable to get along with others. America love it or leave it didn't work with Vietnam, we got our point across fine, thank you very much. So tea baggers step up the plate without killing the game.

July 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
  31. victorg

Mr. Wolf
    I wish reporters would act like reporters, You interview Ron Paul
    and he made up his own facts, as to the decline of the market
    and evrything else he said, but you never chalenged him on
    his answers.

July 29, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • Mary

Thank you, Victorg – I noticed that too. Ron Paul laid out lie after lie and CNN just let him without any challenge.

July 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Mike

Made up his own facts? Like the facts he made up before the 08 crash? He called that years in advance and not one person would listen to him. How about you actually research him before -you- start calling him a liar.

July 30, 2011 at 10:05 am |
  32. Little Tin God

Why don't the GOP just admit it. They want President Obama to fail so badly they are willing to destroy the United States just to make it happen.

July 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • JBird

And I quote from Mr. Obama from a couple of weeks ago; "This could bring down my Presidency!" That pretty much says it all about Obama and the GOP.

July 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
    • Middle of the Road

Obama & the people pulling his strings is the ones destroying America.

July 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
  33. David Ramsay

I just listened to Speaker Boehner's remarks on his latest debt ceiling proposal. He claims that the President has not put any plan on the table, however, I recall that the President and the Speaker reached an agreement some weeks ago that the Tea Party members of the House roundly rejected. Boehner keeps going back to the White House asking for more concessions because he can't sell his various agreements to his own party. He has now had to agree to include a pre-vote commitment by both Houses to pass a balanced budget amendment. This is the Tea Party/ Grover Norquist approach – to require elected members of Congress to pre-commit to legislative actions dictated by others.

The balanced budget amendment is a political red herring. Ronald Reagan campaigned on a balanced budget amendment and then ran up the highest deficit in our history. W. 'Bush paid lip service to a balanced budget amendment as he was drowning us in debt to pay for the Iraq war while pushing tax cuts for millionaires. Rep. Boehner, Senator McConnell, and the other members of Congress who served during the W. Bush years happily voted for W. Bush's deficit increasing policies and now are self-righteously disclaiming the effects of the W. Bush years, without accepting responsibility for their role in the record W. Bush deficits.

July 29, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • JoeMama64

July 29, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
      • agathokles

JoeMama: Please tell us which part of the post was not factual. I challenge you.

July 29, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
      • Bill

David Ramsey nailed it to a T, and you just went the cheap and easy route by making a few snarky responses and think you proved a point, when in fact you didn't. I bet you work for Fox News.

July 29, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
      • Chris Young

Joe, you said "That is an increadible example of misinformation I have read in a while. You must work for the press. You hit every talking point with precision. Obama could use you on his staff. Good Luck!" and you said to another person, "I would love to do a psychological profile on you one day. Your twisted logic and contradictions are facinating. If Palin's opinions are that bad, why do you and the media care what she says?" You do not really believe this dreck, do you? Palin's opinions are newsworthy because she utters them whenever a microphone is thrust in front of her face. Do you really need to defend Sarah Palin? She's (supposed to be) a big girl (woman), and she can defend (or not) herself. You, on the other hand, are so tightly wound that you can't see the proverbial forest for the trees, and you're probably on the "Hate Obama" bandwagon. Well buddy, the train's leavin the station, I would hate to see you miss it because of your inability to recognize that the country's in danger of not being able to pay its bills, and some jerk is talking about amending the Constitution of the United States, in order to put a "balanced budget amendment", which doesn't belong there in the first place, in it. WHY is it that the GOP wants to revise and rewrite history by requiring a "balanced budget amendment" among other things, and lower taxes on the rich, and corporations? Ask yourself why your Senator or Congressperson wants this? Also ask yourself why you support this. If you need a person to blame for the current mess, just look in the mirror.

July 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • Jeff in Illinois

None of this is the job of the office of president except to either sign or veto the legislation. Everything stated to the contrary is nothing but theater. Over the past weeks, every time the president has shown support for Republican proposals, those proposals instantly became not good enough. It's down to the simplicity of if Obama agrees with it, then the Republicans are against it, even if they proposed it. Under these conditions, it would be best for Obama to shut up and just wait for the legislation.

July 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Alpha Deus

Now george W gets paid by the very companies he benefited with tax breaks as america got further and further into debt, his talk fees have made him several times richer then he was and its all coming from the oil companies, banks, government contractors, i wouldnt be surprised if halliburtons didnt chip in a few million too, its not like bribery is beyond them, think nigeria

July 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  34. Name*andy hersey

Dear god, wolf...Huntsman? Another know it all egoistic politician?? Who seems to think he has all the answers....give us someone we can believe in...the American public is exhausted and sick to death of the double speak spin! Please! We're not idiots@

July 29, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  35. Ken Pearlman

Pawlenty is a fool, Romney is a simp, Bachmann is unstable, and the rest of the republican cast are a bunch of clowns. Huntsman stands head and shoulders above the rest. Tells you the state of the republican't party in 2011.

July 29, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • A floridian sitting on fence

My hat's off for Huntsman for speaking up. Thanks

July 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  36. ja

mitt is doing what palin yourself and all others need to do that is shutup, your opinion isn't worth the salt in your bread, the sick divisive rehortic of most candidates actually disqualifies them as presidential material, cross bearers and flag carriers are hyocrtics

July 29, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • JoeMama64

July 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
      • JimmySD

I care what Palin, Limbaugh, and the other Tea Party whackos say because we have too many idiots like you that actually believe their rhetoric.

July 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
      • Whoosh

Because the media is as stupid as she is. Sarah Palin is not it yomama64!! Sorry.

July 29, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
      • Maud

Great article but it didn't have eevryitnhg—I didn't find the kitchen sink!

October 19, 2011 at 3:43 am |
  37. aldean alexander

There are too many WORTHLESS ideas. What is needed are some top-dog Financers to settle this situation.
    We don't have anyone in Gov't who is this educated to being the country out of this situation. They knew how to get us in but getting out is a totaly different story. A>A>Alexander, San Angelo ,Texas

July 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • Darth Cheney

It was the financiers who, by and large, got us in this mess by ruining our economy and thus our tax revenues.

July 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • gpa1tim

Aldean. My thoughts exactly. They should bring in top-notch economists from all over the country. These politicians are too worried about what the 'party' will do/think.

July 30, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  38. trish

Just watched Athena Jones with a report with some of the Reps. saying a call, letter or e-mail do matter. To Who??? I have been dealing with a medical issue and am now stuck with a 10,000.00 bill that I tried to get Senators from ME involved in and never got any response to my letters for help, so what do our Reps. really care about??

July 29, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  39. Bob Drew

The absense of Mitt Romney is curios, We'll probably get his opion when we all have a 20/20 view or in hindsight so to speak.

July 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  40. Rich

Wow what a surprise. Someone running for president criticizes other people running for president in their own party. Huntsman is certainly entitled to his opinion but I do not hear any earth shattering things coming out of his mouth that is likely to change the outcome of the deficit debate either. In a few more months Huntsman will fall back in line once he loses his run and will just be another pimple on the rump to progress. Humtman is only a minor inconvenience on a news cast and is about as informative as a tampon commercial.

July 29, 2011 at 5:14 pm |