Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-7pm ET on CNN.

BLITZER’S BLOG: Sitting down with Rahm Emanuel and Bill Clinton in Chicago
June 29th, 2011

BLITZER’S BLOG: Sitting down with Rahm Emanuel and Bill Clinton in Chicago

Chicago (CNN) – I’ve covered Rahm Emanuel for many years – going back to 1992 when he was a young political aide to then-Governor Bill Clinton who was running for president. He later joined President Clinton at the White House before heading back to his native Chicago to make some money in the financial investment business. After that, he came back to Washington as a congressman and remained as President Barack Obama’s first White House Chief of Staff. But I must say I have never seen him as enthusiastic and excited as he is now as Mayor of Chicago.

We met in his large office. There’s lot of history here. He knows he’s following in huge footsteps. He was pumped about his responsibility and challenge. And he was understandably proud that a son and grandson of immigrants had reached this point. My interview with him will air tonight in The Situation Room during the 6 p.m. ET hour.

I’m also in Chicago to interview Bill Clinton at his Clinton Global Initiative conference on the U.S. economy and creating jobs. We will sit down Thursday morning. The former president has lots of ideas on how to get the U.S. economy going again.

Like Rahm Emanuel, President Clinton has often mentioned to me his very humble roots in Arkansas and his amazement that he could grow up to become President of the United States.

These two men come from very different backgrounds but have much in common beyond their politics. Agree or disagree with them, they are both very smart with amazing drive and ambition and a ton of energy. Mayor Emanuel told me he works out seven days a week and he spelled out his rough routine. You’ll hear it later today on the show. Last year when I interviewed President Clinton, he described his exercise routine and his healthy eating habits. Let’s see what he adds tomorrow.

Editors note: "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer" airs weekdays 5-7 p.m. ET and Saturdays 6-7 p.m. ET on CNN. Tune in tonight at 6 p.m. ET for Wolf Blitzer’s interview with Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. His interview with former President Bill Clinton airs Thursday 5-7 p.m. ET.

Post by:
Filed under: Bill Clinton • Chicago • Rahm Emanuel • Wolf Blitzer
  1. mucks

Havent i told you i made bill clinton and george bush as president,why cant they pay me now they resigned?

July 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
  2. Nick Palen

Nice to knoq Bill is still rambling on in Chicago, Miami, anywhere except Haiti where he supposed to be the UN Special Rep but hasn't built a home or shelter for 250,000 earthquake victims. I guess it's Ruanda all over again, 500,000 macheted while he and Monica dallied. I guess he sucks up titles, signs NAFTA jobs away, orders US Army uniforms from China, Border Patrol uniforms from Mexico, and has yet to teach his wife where Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe, Congo, Darfur, are; but then she did flunk her bar exam for DC and Bill is shunned on the golf course for his incessant jabber and as self-proclaimed links pro.

July 1, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  3. Tigard Dan

Hmmmm... a fluff piece on an adulterer and a potty mouth.... time to re-evaluate Wolf.

June 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  4. Jason Scott

I'm thankful to see others are expressing the same sentiment. In journalism school, students are taught to be objective and unbiased in their reporting. While it is acknowledged that this is a blog, it is a communicative medium hosted by a "news" network's website and is nothing more than Wolf Blitzer's personal opinion and fluff distributed to the masses. It impugns his credibility as a journalist. I cannot for one second imagine Walter Cronkite or Edward R Murrow lowering themselves to this filth. Wolf and CNN should be ashamed.

June 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
  5. Iif you're into that sort of thing.....

Wolf, is that a pup tent?

June 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  6. Capt.

Conservatives beware. This site isn't moderated. It's censored.

June 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • Bosko

Rahm is excited ????? Everyone I know who lives in Chicago is despondent over the incompetence of the local and state governments.

June 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
      • Capt.

I respectfully differ. I think you're confusing incompetence with corruption.

June 29, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  7. N. Gleason

Wolf, that was the most embarrassing display I've ever seen. Your overt political cheerleading was trumped only by your obvious man-love of Emanuel. I thought you were married – to a woman.

June 29, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  8. A. Turner

What the hell was that, Wolf?? I'm still dry heaving! Remember when you were regarded as a journalist with some degree of integrity? What happened? I don't know what was worse – your propaganda fluff piece, or your propaganda fluff piece for your boy toy?

June 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  9. David Baker

Thank goodness for Rahm Emanuel. Didn't he make Wolf Blitzer look really stupid? But then, that's not too difficult a task is it?

June 29, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  10. bacchus

All Wolf , big Blitzer and nothing else. Guy knows how to blow his horn; too bad he can't carry a message with it.
    Sad show – but- "The best snooze team on TV" ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

June 29, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  11. bill

Two good men who could've gone off in private industry and be very successful, but saw things they could do for those who could not do for themselves and offered to serve the country instead – and for that we are greatful.

June 29, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  12. Benson

Wonderful, Wolf ! I'd really love to watch this interview. Rahm Emanuel......Mayor of Chicago! His steelly aura is amazing ! !

June 29, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Capt.

Steely aura!?!? You confuse "steely aura" with pinch-faced anger.

June 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
      • Odair

I love it when these supposed maisntream reporters betray their true feelings and openly join the dark side over at Fox just another nail in the coffin of Palin's supposed Liberal Media idea. Ed Henry has been coyly stuffing his coverage of Obama full of right-wing snark for years. I'm just glad to see he's moving to his natural environment.

August 1, 2012 at 12:54 am |
      • Thomas

Liberal journalists gotta eat too Prop. And seliousry, one network that swings in the opposite direction of all the others is your argument against Liberal Media? That's like saying the single pickle on top of that double quarter pounder negates the supposition that fast food isn't healthy.

August 2, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  13. Truth

Ok, so don't hate on Chicago. The best in politic. If you cant beat them ignorant republicans, join them

June 29, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  14. buddha12

Why would you waste your time interviewing a couple of crooks like these two? Will you at least ask them some hard questions? I am tired of the liberal media trotting out every Tom, Dick and Harry that is liberal and touting their virtues. Get real and do your job, which is probing and finding the real problems.

June 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Capt.

Probing and finding the real problems? You mean like those probing questions about Palin's wardrobe and her children? You mean like that probing story to try and make Bachmann's husband look bad for working for practically no pay under Medicaid? This is CNN. Pretty hard hitting news – when it comes to hitting below the belt, that is.

June 29, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  15. Rich

Sorry Wolf , Clinton and Rahm are not on my must see list of politicians. catch you tomorrow.

June 29, 2011 at 3:36 pm |