Today's Situation Room:

Wolf Blitzer delivers the most important breaking news and political, international, and national security stories of the day. Tune to The Situation Room weekdays 5-6:30pm ET on CNN.

BLITZER’S BLOG: How will abortion play out in tonight’s debate?
June 13th, 2011

BLITZER’S BLOG: How will abortion play out in tonight’s debate?

EDITOR'S NOTE: CNN hosts the first New Hampshire Republican presidential debate Monday night from Manchester at 8 p.m. ET. Follow all the issues and campaign news about the debate on CNNPolitics.com and @cnnpolitics on Twitter. Watch the debate on CNN TV, CNN.com and mobile devices. And participate with your questions on the live blog on the CNN Political Ticker, on Twitter using hashtag #CNNdebate, and on the John King, USA Facebook page.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - Issue number one in presidential politics is certainly the economy and jobs. For many Americans, the social issues, including abortion, are not at the top of the agenda. That is the case even for many conservative Republicans and Tea Party activists who have gathered in New Hampshire for tonight’s CNN Republican presidential debate. They are also deeply worried about the nation’s mounting debt.

Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum, however, is one candidate who certainly doesn’t run away from the social issues. His opposition to abortion rights for women is well-known, though I was surprised to learn the degree of his fierce opposition.

On “Meet the Press” Sunday, he not only opposed abortion but insisted there should be absolutely no legal exceptions under any circumstances including for rape and incest. But then, he went one step further suggesting doctors and nurses who perform abortions should be charged with murder.

“I would advocate that any doctor that performs an abortion should be criminally charged for doing so,” he said. “I have never supported criminalization of abortions for mothers, but I do for people who perform them.”

Let’s see how this issue plays out in tonight’s debate.

Post by:
Filed under: 2012 election • Politics • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Tal

Everything you need to know about Santorum you can learn by just googling his last name.

June 21, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  2. ThinkAgain

Santorum wants to establish a religious theocracy, based on his narrow view of Christianity. That is NOT what the United States is about (see the First Amendment of the Constitution, specifically, "the government shall establish no religion").

We were not founded upon Christian principles, no matter how hard folks like Santorum try to twist history to suit their agenda.

Our country was first settled by people FLEEING RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION – which is why we have the religious protections we do, to ensure that ALL people are free to exercise (or not) their faith as they see fit.

Santorum and his ilk should go live in a true theocracy like Iran or Saudi Arabia – and then get back to us on their views about religious freedom.

June 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  3. Kent

Too funny...CNN is reporting that Rick Perry (Governor of Texas) is almost definitely going to run for president. In a University of Texas poll, only 4% of Texans (republican Texans) would vote for him as president. I hope he does run...good riddance...you (the American public) can have him. Be careful what you wish for! You think Santorum has crazy views on abortion...wait till you get to hear about Rick Perry's radical social right views. To borrow an earlier post, he's the leader of the Republican Taliban.

June 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  4. Len Smith

Just why is there a debate being held tonight? When is the election? Has CNN gone mad? So now we are talking about abortion, not jobs, not the economy, but abortion which is NO ONES BUSINESS. It has got to be very hard for a woman to make this decision and men aren't having babies that I know of, so KEEP QUIET.

June 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  5. Kent

CNN...don't allow this debate to be a debate between President Obama (not present) and 7/8 republicans. It's called the Republican Presidential Debate for a reason. They are to debate each other...not someone who isn't able to defend themselves. Remind them and don't let them stray...to do so is a disservice to your viewing audience.

June 13, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  6. ngc1300

Re Kent-these questions are relevant, because the world view of the fundamentalists informs their view of everything. A member of Congress said some time ago that the climatologists who predict massive flooding of coastal areas were wrong, because God said He would not destroy the world by flood again. Really? An argument based on facts could be compelling, but one based on a book not accepted by 3/4 of the worlds people is not. Santorum says abortion is never justifiable. Not everyone agrees. The woman who is raped, or diddled by Grandpa should not have to bear a child she did not ask for, nor should a woman whose life is in jeopardy be denied her right to life. The fundamentalists say "It's God's will". Inshallah. Sounds like they have more in common with the Muslims they loathe than they care to admit. Someone once said that England shipped all Her religious misfits to America, and all Her criminals to Australia-and Australia got the better end of the deal.

June 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Redleg56

Not to forget that when push came to shove Santorum chose to kill his child to save his wife.

June 13, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  7. Bill in Florida

If you need any proof that Santorum will never make it in national politics, one has only to read the above quotations And beware to the GOP nominee if she/he chooses Santorum as a running mate. Those of us who are pro-choice are as passionate and dedicated as Santorum is anti-choice..

June 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  8. Pete from St Paul

The latest line they are using is to jail doctors and health care providers who perform abortion. So, think of Roe v Wade reversed. A 17 yr old uses a wire hanger on herself and kills "a baby". Will Santorum say it's okay she is jailed or even worse, the death penalty.

June 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  9. April

If there are no exceptions, there would be no abortion even if the woman will absolutely die if she continues the pregnancy, and/or if the baby will absolutely die. That was the Catholic Church's stance recently when they excommunicated a nun in a position of authority at a Catholic hospital because the nun had allowed a patient who would ABSOLUTELY have died if she continued her pregnancy to have an abortion. As far as they are concerned, women are truly nothing more than brood mares and it makes me want to both vomit and punch them.

June 13, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • ThinkAgain

I agree that at the end of the day, all this anti-abortion nonsense is about woman having no value other than as breeders. As has been to eloquently said, "Feminism is the radical idea that women are people, too."

And the religious right just won't have it!

June 13, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
    • Liza

I am a homeschooling mother of 4 in a large devout Catholic homeschooling group. (About 32 families 110 kids) All of us believe ALL life is precious, from natural conception to natural death, born or unborn,criminal or innocent. As a matter of principle we do not believe in the death penalty except in an event where the person is a real obvious threat to others and can not be incarcerated. That situation does not really apply in this day an age so the death penalty is unacceptable. Most of us are anti war except in extreme cases of self defense. (When I say most it is because I have had conversations with most of the parents but am not sure where they all stand on war.) We are all appalled by the treatment of animals by the food industry and we help each other strive for a more sustainable lifestyle. If we do eat meat most of us by from a local farmer to ensure the animal has had a good life and dignified death. It is immoral what is happening with our food supply. Most of the women use cloth diapers. (I am one of the few that don't.....maybe next time if I am so blessed!) Being a good steward of the Earth is extremely important to most Christians...we just don't believe it trumps life and are often forced to choose because politicians are so polarized. We are appalled by genetically modified foods but more appalled by genetically modified humans. Both are evil.

Please forgive me for going on and on. I just can't tell you how many posts I read about pro-life, pro war, hypocrites etc. It makes me crazy because most of the people I currently know are pro life and NONE of us are hypocrites about it. My pro life views and devout faith stem from my own abortion and its aftermath. I always wonder how many of the posters actually know any true pro-life Christians...I don't mean Catholics or Christians in name only. I don't mean judgmental politically charged "Christians," but people truly trying to live out the teachings of Christ. I understand why people can be pro choice...I was, but once you come to terms with the fact that a person is a person no matter how small, no matter how conceived it leaves little room for interpretation. My husband and I have opened our home to an unwed mother in need, we are willing to adopt a child from an unwanted pregnancy and regularly donate diapers and other items to help moms in need. We put our money and our time where our mouth is. My other extreme peeve is when people say things like "I hope your unborn child is gay." What? ALL life is precious, that implies that people with a different sexual orientation are less desirable. I could go on and on...I will spare you but please know that all the mud slinging gets us nowhere! A few years after my abortion when the nightmares and depression began, the women at NOW and planned parenthood said it was all in my head. The Catholic church is where I found healing. They have a ministry called project Rachel which allowed me to go through steps that enabled me to grieve my child and even form a spiritual relationship with my child. I was able to forgive myself and also release myself of the guilt and shame I felt through their Silent No More Awareness Campaign. The testimony of other women was so powerful for me. There are many testimonies of rape victims too. Yes, Mary what you said would be HORRIBLE....but I believe two wrongs don't make a right.

Everyone is on a different journey and I have learned that tolerance is a two way street. Kent...with all due respect, I know no one with the views you speak of. That would infuriate me also.

June 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • Liza

April, I can understand why that case would bother you although I try to follow this topic and am not sure of the case you speak of. I would love to read about it if you could provide me a link I would be grateful. As a former pro-choice, non catholic turned pro-life Catholic I am responding because I just want to clarify Catholic teaching. The teaching is that you can take any medical means necessary to save a woman's life. If the treatment, ex hysterectomy for uterine cancer, or stopping a hemorrhage, chemo, whatever you can think of that is the direct treatment of the disease or problem is allowed. If the baby dies in the process it is considered a natural death. A direct abortion for the purpose to end the life of the unborn child is not allowed under Catholic teaching...but in no way is leaving a woman to die a choice that would affirm the pro-life stance. If a woman chooses to forego treatment and in some cases save the life of her unborn child over her own that is her choice to make. She may have other children or just not want to die and the church does not make a judgement on that. The teaching is basically no direct abortion.

June 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
  10. The Choobs

In the case of murder of an individual who is no longer in the womb, we have clear and unambiguous agreement as a society (except for perhaps a very few fringe elements) that a wrong has been committed and a punishment must be assigned to the perpetrator. Same with armed robbery, wire fraud, treason, all sorts of crimes. With abortion, we clearly have no societal consensus, nor are we soon likely to reach one. IN such instances, the Supreme Court has rightly ruled what may be called a right to "privacy" - but in fact, to read between the lines, what that decision (correctly, I believe) says is that the government cannot legislate morality that is so clearly not settled and agreed-upon, and that such decisions therefore must be left to the individual. To equate abortion with the murder of an independent human is an unfair equation – whichever side of this debate you are on, killing another birth survivor is a significantly different thing than terminating a pregnancy earl. Agreed that there may be gray areas later in pregnancy, but first trimester fetuses are CLEARLY not independent life.

June 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  11. FRANK IN LAS VEGAS

It's always amazed me that the strongest anti choice people are men. They don't care woman's rights, in fact that's why they keep quoting the constitution where women had no rights at all, just the men. I bet if they could, they would take away women's right to vote. The Constitution also says that black only count as 3/5 of a person, do they believe that too? They must because if you're going according to the original Constitution put forth by our founding fathers, then you have to take all it, you can't pick and choose. That's exactly why 99% of the are Hypocrites!

June 13, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  12. Lenny Pincus

You didn't know the depth of Santorum's fury against abortion? Exactly how out of touch are you? Try this one: ask Santorum if it is immoral to kill civilians in a war? Ask him what we should do with all the families in Iraq that we have destroyed. Ask him if he is willing to outlaw any technology based on stem-cell research. If stem-cell research finds the cure for a disease one of his children contracts, will deny this treatment to his children? Since carbon dating proves that the Bible is deeply flawed, should carbon-dating be outlawed. Will he forgo any technology based on carbon-dating? Does he believe we are in the End Days? How will that effect his decisions about Israel and the Mideast? Where does he stand on Leviticus? Does he believe women are unclean when they are menstruating? Finally, when he leaves, can he turn off the lights?

June 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Dani

This is so sad . So so sad .. tToo sad for words as only prayer and inoimratfon such as this will help .. Even if our prayers help to save one life from this devasting thing that goes on here and across the globe it is worth praying . Yes it would be a wonderful day if we could see ROE vs Wade overturned someday so let us all be in spirit of prayer and preaching the gospel in a loving and GODLY manner ..Do any of us know a womanor man who has experienced this .Possibly a nurse or a friend or a person whom we may have come in contact with who has had an abortion ..Well then if we do we need to talk to them and tell them about the loving merciful heart of JESUS and if we do not know a person of such then we need to pray that GOD will open a door into someones life who has been in this circunstance ..Only then will we be able to show them the scriptures that point to how GOD has specifically designed each and every one of us (PSALM 139:13-16 ) and scriptures that tell them of GODS plan of salvation (ROMANS 10:9-13 ) and scriptures that let them know they can have fellowship and teaching with a good church that teaches truth (HEBREWS10:24-25 ) .. AMEN !!

August 2, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
  13. BobAD

It wil be interesting if the Christian Taliban come out to play tonight.

June 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  14. Pat In Michigan

I believe the economy Is the number one issue. In that vein I would like the candidates adress the issue of the Amero .I believe the President signed some legislation to allow the transition to this. Is this true?If it is would someone please comment on this.

June 13, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  15. tekstep1

Creation vs. evolution IS a social issue.

June 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  16. stormytx

Mr. Blitzer, if you do not know what a rabid anti-choice, anti-women's rights person Santorum is, you certainly have not been paying attention over the past several years! You MSM people never cease to amaze me at your lack of awareness.

June 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Kwstas

Ashley, I am totally with you. I am sick of self roghtius people sitting in judgement of others when they themselves have never even been in the situation, or understand it.I would never have an abortion, I am lucky that I am in a place in my life where I would never need to. But I do support the right to choose.For all you suggesting adoption, (which is great in the case of a healthy baby, where the birthmom knew she was pregnant right away and abstained from alcohol/drugs), how many of you have welcomed adoptive children into your homes? It's all fine and good to say someone will adopt the baby, but really .have you welcomed a baby that may potentially have brain damage from alcohol or drugs into your home? Many babies of young women who don't realize they are pregnant right away are exposed to slcohol, which causes the brain to be damaged, the baby may look fine, but may have disabilities discovered once older and abstract thinking is being used, these issues often cause these children to need life long support and help, and fasd is more common in our society than all other disabilities combined!So for all you self roghtius judegemental people, are you reasing a child with these issues? If not, you should shut up and realize it is not always so black and white, and growing up in foster care(where many of these kids do) is not an acceptable alternative.

August 1, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  17. Adam_in_Mass

I hope that it doesn't come up. The federal government should not have control over that aspect of our lives. It's also not of significant concern to our country at the moment. If an abortion question is asked, look for Ron Paul to say something like this.

June 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  18. ted

Abortion should be limited to victims of rape, incest, abuse, under aged girls and women with troubled pregnancy. It shoudl never be considered birth control because it is not. Condoms or pills are birth control, people.

June 13, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  19. Lea

"He says life begins at conception. “It is biologically human and it’s alive,” he said. “It’s a human life. It should be a person under the Constitution.” Then it stands to reason that any "child" not only born, but conceived in the US is a full citizen too, right?

June 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  20. JimM

Perhaps the moderator could use the old Kitty Dukakis question for Santorum:

"If one of your daughters or wife was rapedm, would you permit her to get an abortion?"

Simple question. Let Santorum or any of these anti-abortion folks ansewr it, Yes or No.

June 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  21. Princess of VA

@Daniel – If an unborn child is a person, then why don't insurance companies allow you to insure this unborn child. When a woman has a miscarriage, she endures several physical, emotional and financial burndens so this would make sense. I won't consider an unborn child a person, until I'm able to get LIFE insurance, health insurance and a SS#, for my unborn child. But wait, that will mean we will need NOT-Yet-BORN Certificates to prove what state we got pregnant in! Oh and if you get pregnant with this PERSON overseas, then this PERSON should not be a US citizen. (Hope you see how ridiculous your statement is now! You're welcome!! :) Stop being so dramatic, You're not a person until you take your first breathe! You're not dead until you take your last!

June 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Skeptic

Really? You're not a person unless the government assigns you a number, and someone else can collect money upon your death?

June 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  22. Lynn

Anyone who opposes abortion should be willing to sign a legal document promising to raise and financially support a baby that would have otherwise been aborted within the 1st trimester. It's easy for the anti-abortionists to stand on a corner with their signs screaming at a woman who feels she must have an abortion. It's another thing for them to put their money where their mouths are.

June 13, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  23. PatCC

Wolf...See what Kent suggested above. Let's get some real answers out this bunch...not the tired old media inspired controversies like abortion. We already know what their answers will be on that....please...ask them about something current and relevant. And demand clear and substantive responses.

June 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  24. GLENDA

"No nation or culture in history has done more to advance the well-being of mankind than the United States and Western civilization. However to the Marxist mindset of the radical left, only they, utilizing the vehicle of a massive central government, could control mankind's nature and create a fair society. It is the ideal philosophy for those who, so enamored with themselves, can wallow in their self-importance and rule with a heavy hand the same masses they claim to protect. Under no circumstances, therefore, can these revolutionaries defend or profess admiration for their country; instead they must not only transform the United States into a villain, but destroy any vestiges of its accomplishments in order to permanently retain control over the populace and exact revenge for the alleged transgressions of the West. Barack Obama has spent his entire life, from birth to the present, marinated in this mindset. He is thus incapable of change or being receptive to any other viewpoint, as that would be an admission of failure."

June 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • FRANK IN LAS VEGAS

What a bunch of hogwash!!! So if someone is a progressive thinker, according to you they don't love our great country? Really?!? You really need to turn off Fox News for awhile, you've been completely brainwashed.

June 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • The CHoobs

Whom are you quoting?

June 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  25. RobertFTL

I love the double standards with conservatives... On one hand government should have a limited role, but when it comes to abortion the government should tell a woman what she can and can't do to their body. Conservatives only favor government intervention when it suits their needs. Very hypocritical!

June 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  26. Daniel

Rick Santorum's position on Abortion is logically consistant. If an unborn child is a person then to kill an unborn child would be murder. When Roe v. Wade was first decided we did not have the benefit of modern technology and thus the justices relied on the medieval concept of quickening to conclude that an unborn child might not be a person entitled to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. However, today with the benefit of modern technology such as ultrasound machines we are able to clearly see that unborn children are very much alive and the medieval concept of quickening was as false as the idea that the best way to cure a cold was to have leaches drain out pints of the patients blood. We also now know that an unborn child has its own unique DNA from the moment of conception. Since every unborn child is a unique living person then the child is entitled to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Therefore, any doctor who kills an uborn child is guilty of murder.

June 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Marry

Daniel, talking about “logically consistent”, I would like to ask you how come that especially the GOP/TP are so concerned about abortion? First they want to “save them” (pointing their fingers and being so moral as long as an embryo is in the womb , but without medical support possible for the poor mother) just to through them (including their families) under the bus as soon as they are born, by THEIR understanding of the (financial) responsibility of a society. Bravo, what hypocrites!
      (By the way, I personally feel terrible when a woman finds herself in the situation to be faced with an abortion! Very sad – but I would never judge someone that decides to have one!)

June 13, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

It may be logically consistent, but its utterly unenforceable. If Mr. Santorum had his way, we would de-evolve into a state where virginity checks could be performed by police on women they suspected of immoral behavior. It's statements and beliefs like his that cause most people to view the Right-to-Life movment with suspicion. He is in favor of a sex police that would extend itself into every aspect of our lives, including health care. Mr. Santorum's stated goal of protecting life is nothing more than an attempt to replace our democracy with a religious orthodoxy that few Americans could stomach for long. Freedom, my eye.

June 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
      • Jazmin

Most abortions are nor from rape, the stats say that 80% claim to be Christians in a bad stage of life I do beelive that women are being marketed for abortions. I don't think the women having them are enjoying them and I don't think that is what this post is about.We need to pray and pray hard for the women who are in a bad stage of life that their lives can be changed and they can have the true resources, not the companies who just want money, helping them. Abortion hurts women, it kills babies, and most just think now that it is a choice we must reserve for rape/molestation cases when those are not the main reasons women abort. The people with the medical license are in it for the money it is a money making industry with no regard to what it does to women.

August 2, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
    • boognish

Agreed! And every mother-to-be who miscarries should be charged with negligent homicide, and the death penalty must be outlawed, because every human life is sacred.

June 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • JimM

Roe v Wade was decided based on privacy issues. Not mid-evil mechanisms.

June 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • tekstep1

Docotrs define death or absence of life as the absence of brain activity. If you are in a vegetative state (Terri Shivo [sp?]) with no brain acitvity, then why are we alloed to "pull the plug"? The same reasoning should be used for zygotes and embryos who show no signs of brain activity prior to 3 months gestation. It is not life if it doesn't have a brain. To argue that the soul is as important as the brain is to make a religious argument – an argument that has no place in out secular society. Medical facts only please.

June 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Redleg56

But even a fifth grader knows that not every child has unique DNA. Have you never heard of identical twins?

June 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • Robfrom MO

Daniel's statment about what was known and unknown scientifically in 1973 is nonsense. We knew then that the fetus has "unique DNA". As a physician, I saw feuses in-utero with ultrasound before Roe v Wade was decided. The claim that life begins at conception is an opinion. Daniel and others are entitled to thier opinion, but they are not entitled to impose their opinion on the rest of us. In 1973 and today the overwhelming scientific opinion is that life does not start at conception. If you believe that a single cell with unique DNA is a living person than you must believe some very strange things: for example, that the donor of my best friend's transplanted kidney who died in an auto accident 20 years ago is actually still alive because his cells with his DNA are alive in the kidney. Think about it. I gues the donor's family should not have collect his life insurance. Overwhelmingly, scientists believe that personhood begins when certain type of brain activity is initiated at about 24 to 26 weeks of gestation, which roughly corresponds to viability.

June 13, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  27. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Republicans will throw everything on the wall to see what sticks and then they'll use that for their "Snow Job".

June 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  28. Kent

Wolf, I see the five questions candidates must answer tonight posted on CNN. But I didn't see: 1. How old is the earth? 2. Did dinosaurs roam the earth at the same time as man? 3. Do you believe in evolution or creationism? 4. Is climate change a man-made issue? 5. Do you believe in criminal prosecutions for abortion? 6. Are you going to privatize social security? 7. Do you support the Ryan budget to end Medicare as we know it? 8. Did you support the auto bailout? 9. Did you call for Sen. Vitter to resign? Sen. Ensign? 10. Did you support going to war in Iraq? 11. Did you require President Bush to cut the deficit each and every time you voted to approve the debt ceiling increase during his presidency (applies to senators in the debate). 12. The US debt grew more during President Bush's term as president than all other presidents before him. Were you outspoken about the debt issue during his presidency? 13. How much are you willing to cut the defense budget? 14. Should we end the costly war on drugs? 15. How would you help US companies innovate?...the federal government's DARPA program? 16. Are you willing to raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans? 17. If tax cuts is the only solution for unemployment, why didn't it work under Bush? 18. Our corporations are paying historically low taxes yet republicans believe they should be lower. Why? 19. Many states have privatized their prison systems. Aren't private companies "incentivized" to house more prisoners and to keep them for longer periods of time? How is this productive? 20. If deregulation is the answer for business, isn't that what got us into the problem in the first place?

June 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Daniel

A candidates personal views on Creation vs. Evolution has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the candidate would be a good president. So, why should the moderators waste valuable time that could be spent asking the candidates relevent questions about foreign policy, the economy, and social issues.

June 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
      • FRANK IN LAS VEGAS

It's a very good question, it shows weather a candidate believes in actual science or a story, like it or not, it will show quite a lot of how a person thinks, or even if he thinks.

June 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
      • Kent

Daniel, it's simple. I would never support a president that didn't believe in science. Period. To believe that the earth is 6,000 years old is denying the existence of science and we might as well believe in Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy. There is a school of thought that during the 8-year Bush term the US was set back 40 years because of that president's disbelief in science. Another president like Bush and we'll be on the same footing as Afghanistan. As a people, we cannot let that happen.

June 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
      • RN

A great deal of public policy including everything from what to do about climate change, pollution, health, disease and medical problems facing this country and the world depend on science. If a president does not believe in science then they may be guided by superstition. We need to know how they think in order to judge whether we want to vote for a person whose thinking is guided by science or by astrology. You can still vote for the guy who believes in astrology – but if I know who that is – I will not be voting for him.

June 13, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • Marry

Thank you Kent! Great questions I very much would like to hear the answers from them. However, they did not answer then and they surely will not answer now.

June 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

Please, don't give them the FOX News slow-pitch softballs.

June 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • FRANK IN LAS VEGAS

OUTSTANDING!!!

June 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
      • Aminu

JK, It's easy to judge others and take their rihtgs away How ironic you would say that. This is exactly what happens to unborn babies who are aborted. Someone *judges* that these children would be better off not being born, and *takes away their right* to live.There is no more fundamental right than the right to life, and no other right that supersedes it, no matter how accurate we may think we are in determining the quality of life for certain children or the lives of those who will be affected by these children before and after the birth.Deliberately extinguishing innocent human life is wrong. Period.

August 3, 2012 at 2:06 am |
    • Wil in LA

Right on, Kent.

June 13, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  29. TominRochNY

Santorum doesn't have a chance of being elected now. He shouldn't waste the money. But, then again money spent on just about any of the R candidates is a waste. We want SANE candidates.

June 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  30. Marry

Wolf, please! The Supreme Court has settled that question. Stop beating a dead horse!
    This is going to be rich! In all ways, shapes and forms! A group of GOP/TP contenders (I call them pretenders!) trying to explain why they acted like fouls for the last dozen years. (Well, no chance they will ever answer that!) Are you, CNN, going to ask them why they have such vehement feelings about “THE DEFICIT” and the “Constitution” and “WAR” and the “STATE OF THE ECONOMY” when we did not hear anything about that from them before President Obama was elected? And you will ask them what they are going to do DIFFERENT and BETTER than the President? (And insist on an answer!) And why they said the goal is to make the President FAIL before he EVER started to work as President? And perhaps what they have to offer to the AVARAGE American to vote for them even after they stated that the deficit is not a revenue problem but that of ENTITLEMENTS all those useless people want, after being left without jobs since they were shipped overseas by the GOP? Please, CNN, ask them how they can be so critical of the new health care system without ever coming up themselves with a BETTER and useful system for the American public? And if the economy and jobs are the most “pressing” problems of the country – how would they change it for the better if they do not even care how low and middle income people live/survive today?
    Eh, I guess it will be the usual – knocking the President instead of talking about what useful they can do. They have nothing to offer when you remember “NO- HELL NO” – their program over the last years! And don’t tell me no “Socialism” – the GOP loves it, as long as the riches move up to them and not for the general populous to join in a still “profitable” country! So, let the demagogues speak!

June 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Daniel

President Obama has already racked up more debt in two and half years than President Bush racked up in eight years. Obama has also insulted virtually all of our close allies while constantly sucking up to our enemies. He also forced through Obamacare which will kill healthcare in America and further bankrupt our country. So, there are lots of good reasons for the Republicans to attack President Obama. And you will find out in Nov. that the majority of the country will be very happy to vote Obama out of office.

June 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
      • scott

Daniel,

That is only because Bush refused to put the cost of his two wars in the budget. Through some budget mumbo-jumbo he was abel to pay for them "off-budget" so they wouldn't count against the deficit. When Obama took office, he put an end to that non-sense and put the cost of the wars from that point forward on the budget – making his deficit seem larger than Bush's.

June 13, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
      • Marry

Daniel – Scott answer the first part of your replay very well. I gladly take up your claim that President Obama insulted our allies. On the contrary – he is internationally respected and heard. His way is WITH others not in the undiplomatic way Bush “overrun” them to push his very personal agenda. That something had to be done about the healthcare system no one disputes – and the only critic on what the Democrats did was not to go far enough. The GOP/TP, the party of “NO-HELL NO”, has nothing to show for. Not one POSITIV idea for the country! So watching them over the last years, there is no reason at all to want them back!

June 14, 2011 at 2:15 am |
    • Bertie

Never would have thunk I would find this so indispenabsle.

June 29, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • Hannes

Ashley, Abortions shouldn't be thowrn around lightly, but sometimes they are the better route. The deliberate destruction of innocent pre-born humans is not the better route. A baby's life ends, and a mother's life is traumatized. (Please research post-abortion syndrome to learn more about this very real and tragic occurrence in post-abortive women.)You state that a woman who is raped shouldn't have to carry around a reminder of that for nine months. Having an abortion will not remove the memory of the rape from the woman's mind.If she has an abortion, she will have been violated twice, first at the hands of the rapist, and then at the hands of the abortionist. Women who have been raped need loving support, not further trauma.Ashley, I am very sorry if you are a woman who has been violated in such a manner. I and many others would be happy to pray for you. Pregnancy counseling centers are also beautiful, healing places to go for support in the event of unplanned pregnancy or post-abortion stress. And there are many loving couples, dearly desiring to adopt babies, who can give a child who would be born into a difficult situation a loving and stable home life.May God bless you with His peace.

August 1, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  31. MARY

When I heard Santorum say, last week, that he did not believe in abortion even in the case of incest or rape I was more than appalled. I wish there was some way to make him know what it would be like to be raped by some monster and be impregnated and then told that you have to carry that baby for 9 months.

June 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • RobertFTL

Their response would be: You should have prepared for an act like rape. Didn't you know they sell insurance for that now? I agree with you a 100% and what I said has been argued on the house floor when debating about abortion.

June 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Kathy

And I don't see him lining up to adopt those children either!!

June 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

Mary, he doesn't care. The world has to be black or white: it makes decision-making easier.

June 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • Kent

Mary, you're right...it is appalling. I find it interesting that the same people that believe that life begins at conception are the same people who believe in the death penalty, denying welfare benefits for parents that have a drug problem (thereby denying their innocent children), are the first to cut Medicaid benefits (you know, for those unworthy people with disabilities), first to want to go to war, consider "collateral murder" a "cost of war" to protect our "freedom," and the list goes on. They want government out of our lives and don't think that government serves any good purpose...except to wage war. Yet, they want government in the middle of abortion (a woman's right to choose and a private matter between her and her doctor) and they want to be dead center (excuse the pun) in matters of euthanasia. Hypocritical and dangerous.

June 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm |